An Old School Catholic Message Board

Silent Retreat

alrichey53091

Thomist-in-Training

If anyone knows any really good places [i]any[/i]where in the country, please pass on the names! I've always wanted to be able to make a silent retreat, but it never has worked out.

I'm thinking of somewhere that doesn't do centering prayer... is not cringe-inducingly ugly (I mean just that--it doesn't have to have wooded hills or a lake)... has good preaching... and maybe has decent food!

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='17 March 2010 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1268874271' post='2074908']
If anyone knows any really good places [i]any[/i]where in the country, please pass on the names! I've always wanted to be able to make a silent retreat, but it never has worked out.

I'm thinking of somewhere that doesn't do centering prayer... is not cringe-inducingly ugly (I mean just that--it doesn't have to have wooded hills or a lake)... has good preaching... and maybe has decent food!
[/quote]

Please consider St. Emma Monastery in western Pennsylvania, run by the Benedictine Nuns.
The cost is a bit on the steep side for a full week, but remember this is the main source of income for them. And you will not be subjected to any flaky spirituality there,and I hear the food is quite good.

AccountDeleted

If you like being alone, the Hermits of Bethlehem in NJ will give you a little hermitage in the woods, daily Mass, and meetings with the desert father if you want (if he is well enough, I haven't spoken with him for the past six months).

[quote name='zunshynn' date='07 March 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1268018589' post='2068556']
pm MCTS... she goes to school near Notre Dame, and she might know of something.

Or the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament. :saint: But that's in AL.
[/quote]

[quote name='alrichey53091' date='08 March 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1268060882' post='2068761']
haha i know her!! she helped at my senior retreat!! :) i will have to ask her!!

Thanks for all these wonderful places!!!
[/quote]

haha Actually, I know that there's a silent retreat at ND, and I know that I can go on it, but I don't know if people outside of the tri-campus area can go on it, but I'll check and PM you later. Otherwise, St. Meinrad is probably a good place to contact. Even if they don't have one, I know that their seminarians go on a silent retreat somewhere every year, so they might be able to point you in the right direction.

brightsadness

I have made a few quiet retreats here. The building is a former novitiate and the grounds are lovely. There is daily Mass and one is not required to participate in any programs. I believe the fee is still $60.00 per day for meals and room. http://www.jesuitcenter.org/index.htm Fr. Walter Ciszeck is buried here and I like to pray at his grave. Great trees for climbing also.

brightsadness

http://www.jesuitcenter.org/ Don't know how I deleted the first one when posting. I like this place. have made several quiet retreats here. Fr. Walter Ciszcek, SJ is buried here and I like to pray with him.

Margaret Mary

I know that the Toledo Visitation in Ohio allows lay women to do at least a week silent retreat in the cloister. [url="http://www.toledovisitation.org"]My link[/url]

JMJ
I might be late for this. Have you contacted the Benedictine Monks of the Annunciation, in Clear Creek? They will give you a guest house, and you can come to daily Mass, and the Divine Hours. The monks are really nice, and we know one guy who took his family there for a month. They do it every year and feel that it is beficial to their spiritual health. I love the monks, they really are very sweet. Some visiting priest called their abbey a "saint factory". I called the one time and talked to this incredibly elderly french monk, who understood next to no english (I understand next to no french, but I taked really slow, and threw in some german, and he was good) and sounded like an absolute saint.

You should ask your Pastor if you could spend the weekend in the Church, breaking only for meals. It would be a good penance and a holy experience to spend the entire weekend at the FEET OF CHRIST. I asked repeatedly, but alas, I am not old enough.

homeschoolmom

Attention posters:
Please read post #86 of the thread linked below before continuing with this thread. Thank you.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=93433&st=80

• 1 month later...

Woa, I could have answered you this one a while ago. Shelbourne conference center in Valparaiso. I've been on their HIgh School retreats, and I hear their college ones are really good too. Typically a weekend long. Although you probably don't need it anymore...

:)