An Old School Catholic Message Board

School Boots Preschool Student Cause Of Gay Parents

add

The catholic schools in St. Pete aren't attended by non-catholics because their parents want them to get an education that increases their faith. They are simply the dumping grounds for rich kids whose parents don't want them to attend school with minorities. When bussing began, the Catholic schools were overrun, so they increased tuition two to threes times as much partially because they could, and partially to meet the demands on the curriculum placed by rich parents.

My obtuse point was that if these kinds of rules were in place, most of those "white-flight" kids would have been weeded out, and maybe the tuition could have come down to a level that poorer Catholic could afford.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='06 March 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1267929090' post='2067745']
Catholic Schools are meant to be Catholic.
[/quote]

Catholic Schools are meant to [u]teach[/u] the Catholic faith

[quote name='apparently' date='06 March 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1267935209' post='2067792']
Catholic Schools are meant to [u]teach[/u] the Catholic faith
[/quote]

Not indiscriminately. We are to use prudence in deciding [i]whom[/i] we teach. Don't cast pearls before swine.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='07 March 2010 - 02:08 AM' timestamp='1267942103' post='2067860']
Not indiscriminately. We are to use prudence in deciding [i]whom[/i] we teach. Don't cast pearls before swine.
[/quote]

a[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]n innocent or sinless [/color][/size][/font] four year old child is not swine.

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]("Whoever welcomes one of these children in my name, welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me")[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='apparently' date='07 March 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1267942691' post='2067870']
a[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]n innocent or sinless [/color][/size][/font] four year old child is not swine.

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]("Whoever welcomes one of these children in my name, welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me")[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

No four year old child is sinless unless he has been baptized.

[quote name='apparently' date='07 March 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1267942691' post='2067870']

[/quote]

It's not about the four year old. Because he has not reached the age of reason it's about his parents. The child will always defer to his parents' wisdom rather than that of his teachers, at least until he can think critically, and probably beyond that. This is why parents make childrens' baptismal promises for them. If the parents can't make those promises, the child can't be baptized.

The parent is always the primary teacher of the faith, and the family is the smallest Church. If that Church doesn't exist we can't construct one in the classroom.

If the child searches honestly for Truth in his life he will find the Church, and we need not fear. God will always grant the necessary grace.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='07 March 2010 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1267942943' post='2067878']
[/quote]

No one said he was sinless. It was characterizing him as 'swine' that drew the objection.

And yes. If someone believes that a four year old child is a swine who is unworthy even to have your message cast towards them because of who his or her parents sleep with or what fruit Adam ate generations ago then they ought to leave civilized society.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='07 March 2010 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1267942943' post='2067878']
[/quote]

Every four year old child is clean of personal sin, which is enough to gain salvation. I completely agree with Apo's eastern stance in being scandalized by the idea that innocents could be excluded from the Kingdom of Heaven.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='07 March 2010 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1267943326' post='2067886']

If the child searches honestly for Truth in his life he will find the Church, and we need not fear. God will always grant the necessary grace.
[/quote]

That's why when Jesus was tired he encouraged the Apostles to send the children away. He figured that if they honestly searched for truth they would come to him anyway so he gave them the boot so he could take a nap.

Right?

[quote name='Hassan' date='07 March 2010 - 01:33 AM' timestamp='1267943602' post='2067894']
That's why when Jesus was tired he encouraged the Apostles to send the children away. He figured that if they honestly searched for truth they would come to him anyway so he gave them the boot so he could take a nap.

Right?
[/quote]

You're right, that is exactly the same situation we're discussing. :mellow:

[quote name='Hassan' date='07 March 2010 - 01:30 AM' timestamp='1267943447' post='2067889']
No one said he was sinless.
[/quote]

In post number nineteen, apparently stated that four-year-olds are sinless. I was merely stating that four-year-olds who have not been baptized are not sinless because they have original sin on their souls.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='07 March 2010 - 01:34 AM' timestamp='1267943675' post='2067895']
You're right, that is exactly the same situation we're discussing. :mellow:
[/quote]

Seems pretty analogous.

[quote name='Hassan' date='07 March 2010 - 01:36 AM' timestamp='1267943774' post='2067899']
Seems pretty analogous.
[/quote]

Yeah, because I was arguing that children should be sent away so teachers could take more naps.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='07 March 2010 - 01:30 AM' timestamp='1267943451' post='2067890']
Every four year old child is clean of personal sin, which is enough to gain salvation.
[/quote]

I disagree with the idea that those who have original sin on their soul can attain salvation. With countless theologians and saints, I support the idea that non-baptized children go to infants' limbo.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='07 March 2010 - 01:35 AM' timestamp='1267943728' post='2067898']
In post number nineteen, apparently stated that four-year-olds are sinless. I was merely stating that four-year-olds who have not been baptized are not sinless because they have original sin on their souls.
[/quote]

I understand that. I am objecting to someone using the imagery of a swine to describe a four year old.