An Old School Catholic Message Board

Extent Of Complying

dairygirl4u2c

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1303659836' post='2231813']
it dont make sense why so many people would do full torture or 'enhanced interrogation' but wouldn't do all those lesser things, like a venial sin, or stealing a loaf of bread for a starving man.
[/quote]
In my opinion people are willing to let anger and vengence motivate their answer somewhat. Torturing the terrorist would harm someone who is doing evil. You're angry at him for trying to blow up millions, so you don't mind beating him senseless. But if a terrorist said "I will blow up this city if you don't go hurt this completely innocent person", it's a different story. Even with the seemingly inconsequential thefts described, because you don't have any anger against the people you're stealing from, but instead are helping the person you're angry at, you don't want to do it.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Let me get this straight. A terrorist has a bomb hidden in NY and LA and I trust him. This does not compute. [/size][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]You needed one more option. [/size][/font][font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Put bullet in terrorist head. [/size][/font]

Edited by Papist

dairygirl4u2c

it is always strange when it's par for course to kill terrorist, just not do even 'enhanced interrogation'.
it is strange so many voted torture, i thought most here were adamantly opposed to all that

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1303832674' post='2233381']
it is strange so many voted torture, i thought most here were adamantly opposed to all that
[/quote]

Where you get that impression? Don't we read your posts? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif[/img]

Edited by Papist

dairygirl4u2c

seems like people won't argue on my side, when i say enhanced interrogation or torture might in limited situations, be okay. they probably are out in hiding, cause it's aganst catholic teaching to support those things, and dont want to be rockin the boat

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1303834346' post='2233398']
seems like people won't argue on my side, when i say enhanced interrogation or torture might in limited situations, be okay. they probably are out in hiding, cause it's aganst catholic teaching to support those things, and dont want to be rockin the boat
[/quote]
How can anyone. You did not state what your side is.

• 3 years later...
dairygirl4u2c

the below stuff from another thread reminded me of this thread.....

and we should be able to conclude, that stealing a loaf of bread for a homeless man, if it was ordered by a terrorist, would not be immoral to do.

------------------

does this basically say that if you really need it, you can steal a loaf of bread?

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Quote:

2408 The seventh commandment forbids theft, that is, usurping another's property against the reasonable will of the owner. There is no theft if consent can be presumed or if refusal is contrary to reason and the universal destination of goods..

said by a 'good catholic' and i'd think rightly so...

Originally Posted by Pieman333272 viewpost.gif
Is stealing ever justified? For example, if you need to steal to feed your family? What about stealing something back which was stolen from you?

Unjustly taking or keeping the property of another (theft) is a violation of the seventh commandment, however with regard to your specific question, taking property of another in extreme circumstances of need is not theft if consent of the owner could be presumed or if refusal is contrary to reason and the universal destination of goods. (CCC 2408). Extreme circumstances would involve meeting the essential needs for food, shelter or clothing. So, yes taking food to keep your family from starving if you had no other recourse would not be theft. Not trying to encourage anyone to steal but just giving you the benefit of the teaching of the Church.

As far as the second question, stealing something back that was stolen from you, I think it would depend on the particulars of the circumstances. If someone actually stole your private property then the transfer of custody and control doesn't negate your ownership so in most cases I'd say that you wouldn't be stealing but simply resuming custody of your own property by taking it back. This however is just my own opinion.