An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tea Party

Resurrexi

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thank God the US still has enough people who don't believe the right to life comes from the state.

[quote name='Winchester' date='08 April 2010 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1270760409' post='2089480']
Thank God the US still has enough people who don't believe the right to life comes from the state.
[/quote]

Americans believe the right to anything comes from a piece of paper 200 years old.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 April 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1270760620' post='2089481']
Americans believe the right to anything comes from a piece of paper 200 years old.
[/quote]
In part, yes, but if you press those who are opposing the current expansions of the State, you will find behind it a belief that rights are endowed by our Creator, not by the government.

This is acknowledged by a piece of paper around that age.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 April 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1270760199' post='2089476']
I guess in Canada only the government can have guns. Thank God America has a constitution.
[/quote]

we have 5 guns in our house. not counting pellet guns, and only one is a .22

Maximilianus

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine"

ARs are alright, but I prefer the 7.62 round the M1A sends down range.

So far Obama's pen has proven to be mightier than some guy's rifle at a rally.

[quote name='Winchester' date='08 April 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1270760817' post='2089484']
In part, yes, but if you press those who are opposing the current expansions of the State, you will find behind it a belief that rights are endowed by our Creator, not by the government.

This is acknowledged by a piece of paper around that age.
[/quote]

Lol. point taken.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 April 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1270760314' post='2089478']
Canada has an unwritten one, and America's written constitution will only last so long.
[/quote]
Incorrect. Canada's "constitution" is an act of the British parliament.

The attempts to establish a constitution in Canada, for Canada, and by Canadians, failed in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 April 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1270760199' post='2089476']
I guess in Canada only the government can have guns. Thank God America has a constitution.
[/quote]
It is very very difficult to obtain your firearms permit in Canada. You may never legally carry it unless you're hunting with a hunting rifle, and you also need permits to transport it. Even once you have that permit, the permit itself specifies where you're allowed to take it, and nowhere else.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 April 2010 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1270761107' post='2089490']
Incorrect. Canada's "constitution" is an act of the British parliament.

The attempts to establish a constitution in Canada, for Canada, and by Canadians, failed in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
[/quote]

Guess you're right. Constitutions "in, for, and by" only work if they are "in, for, and by" truly Christian people, though (hint: the Founding Fathers weren't Christian, and nowadays the US Constitution isn't run in,for, and by Christians anyway).

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 April 2010 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1270762334' post='2089505']
the Founding Fathers weren't Christian
[/quote]

While some of the Founding Fathers were deists, others were devout Christians. Of particular note is Charles Carroll. King Louis XVI, a very devout Catholic monarch, also deserves to be counted as a Founding Father of the United States, at least to some degree.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='08 April 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1270765509' post='2089539']
While some of the Founding Fathers were deists, others were devout Christians. Of particular note is Charles Carroll. King Louis XVI, a very devout Catholic monarch, also deserves to be counted as a Founding Father of the United States, at least to some degree.
[/quote]

Carroll didn't do much at all, and while he signed and voted, I've never heard that he was involved in writing any document. Louis XVI does not deserve to be counted as a Founding Father.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 April 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1270768066' post='2089572']
Carroll didn't do much at all, and while he signed and voted, I've never heard that he was involved in writing any document. Louis XVI does not deserve to be counted as a Founding Father.
[/quote]

One is considered a founding father if he signed the Declaration of Independence or Constitution.

I think that Louis XVI should be considered a founding father in a broader sense because it was his military aid that allowed the colonies to win the Revolution.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='08 April 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1270759365' post='2089463']
you mean, ONE of the guys was black. one. there are other types of intimidation than racial, you know, and the fact that this guy was black doesnt mean he ios exempt from them. and thats only at the presidential speech, what about all the town hall meetings Tea Partiers showed up to armed?
[/quote]
If even one of them was black, it makes the whole comparison to Jim Crow pretty silly.

But I guess the whole irrefutable "gun owners=rightwing=racist" logic went over my head.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 April 2010 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1270762334' post='2089505']
Guess you're right. Constitutions "in, for, and by" only work if they are "in, for, and by" truly Christian people, though (hint: the Founding Fathers weren't Christian, and nowadays the US Constitution isn't run in,for, and by Christians anyway).
[/quote]
John Adams, whom you're paraphrasing, was definitely a founding father. We looked this up last time, and the vast majority of the American Founding Fathers (signers of the Declaration of Independence) were indeed Christian. Only a small handful (notably Jefferson and Franklin) were Deists. But that's getting way off-topic.

I'm not seeing how scrapping the Constitution, with its limitations of federal power, is making our country or its governance any more Christian.

[quote name='Socrates' date='08 April 2010 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1270775719' post='2089668']
If even one of them was black, it makes the whole comparison to Jim Crow pretty silly.

But I guess the whole irrefutable "gun owners=rightwing=racist" logic went over my head.
[/quote]

good thing i didnt make that comparison :)

i was referring to intimidation similar to stuff like in Iraq, where armed people were there to intimidate people into voting for saddam/etc, or into not voting at all, and comparing that to the town hall meetings, ostensibly intended for rational discourse and expressing of opinions, and the guys there brandishing guns trying either to make their opinion count more, or prevent opposing people from voicing theirs too loudly.