An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Be-All End-All Muslim Thread

Vincent Vega

Answer the following:  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='MissyP89' date='22 February 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1266880848' post='2061425']
For the sake of my own understanding, then, are Protestants evil?
[/quote]

Protestant Theology is evil because it is false, and heresy. Protestants individually can be just as catholic individuals can be evil. But the Protestant 'church' is is a rebellious daughter and evil because it is false.

[quote name='MissyP89' date='22 February 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1266880848' post='2061425']
For the sake of my own understanding, then, are Protestants evil?
[/quote]
[quote name='Maggie' date='22 February 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1266881735' post='2061439']
And is Judaism evil?
[/quote]
Protestants are not evil; Protestantism (and Judaism) is, because it deprives people of the opportunity of receiving as much grace as would be afforded to them through the Catholic Church.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='22 February 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1266885970' post='2061482']
Protestants are not evil; Protestantism (and Judaism) is, because it deprives people of the opportunity of receiving as much grace as would be afforded to them through the Catholic Church.
[/quote]
Ah, I'm glad I decided to scrap my response. This is much better. :)

Glad you clarified what you meant by "false religion." That term gets tossed about pretty freely (too freely in my opinion). It tends to mean different things to different people -- just like other words, like cult, fascism, etc.

So good thinking there.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='22 February 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1266885970' post='2061482']
[/quote]

So Catholicism = not evil. Everything else = evil.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='22 February 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1266888089' post='2061507']
[/quote]
Correct.

I'm also confused as to how you think Islam is a true religion. :unsure:

And as to why Dominican Soul finds oppression, abuse, and/or violence acceptable.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='23 February 2010 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1266888364' post='2061513']
And as to why Dominican Soul finds oppression, abuse, and/or violence acceptable.
[/quote]

Typo maybe??

And
You love sucking me in to get negative points, but oh well such is life. The third point is easy of course, but I really don't see why it belongs with the subject of the other two. Abuse is rife everywhere and unfortunately is well known in the Catholic Church, due mainly to her enemies and media exploitation. No religion can lay claim to not having or do use violence and sexual abuse on a grand scale. With regard to the other two 1/ I don't consider it my station to pass judgement on my fellow man or woman. And correct me if I'm wrong but we are not supposed to be doing that anyway. 2/I really don't know! I would prefer to leave that to people of higher education than me. Maybe you should have had some options to cover these points. An 'I don't know' and an 'I'm not permitted to make such judgements' the latter being due to the commandment "Love your neighbour as your self" Is making hurtful and [u]unnecessary[/u] comments loving your neighbour? I don't know maybe it is. I say unnecessary, because this subject has appeared numerous times on these forums and what does it achieve apart from inflicting pain onto Muslims who may dare venture here? And I must confess as a result, I feel pain also because they are my neighbours and I love them. So every time someone writes a negative post about Islam they not only hurt Muslims but also Catholics, well one at least and hopefully I have some friends left! Even if I thought they were following a false religion, I would not speak it or especially write it. It would be the same as telling a plain looking person "You're ugly" If telling a person that they follow a false religion and a false prophet is going to end in them finding eternal life, then I would say go for it, but from what I have seen there are many atheists who are that way because they see so much hypocrisy in the behaviour of 'religious people'.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

dominicansoul

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='22 February 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1266888364' post='2061513']
Correct.

I'm also confused as to how you think Islam is a true religion. :unsure:

[/quote]
...yikes....i voted wrong! that's what happens when one hasn't slept in 36 hours and had a loooooong day at work! LOL!

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='22 February 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1266888991' post='2061525']
You love sucking me in to get negative points, but oh well such is life. The third point is easy of course, but I really don't see why it belongs with the subject of the other two. Abuse is rife everywhere and unfortunately is well known in the Catholic Church, due mainly to her enemies and media exploitation. No religion can lay claim to not having or do use violence and sexual abuse on a grand scale. With regard to the other two 1/ I don't consider it my station to pass judgement on my fellow man or woman. And correct me if I'm wrong but we are not supposed to be doing that anyway. 2/I really don't know! I would prefer to leave that to people of higher education than me. Maybe you should have had some options to cover these points. An 'I don't know' and an 'I'm not permitted to make such judgements' the latter being due to the commandment "Love your neighbour as your self" Is making hurtful and [u]unnecessary[/u] comments loving your neighbour? I don't know maybe it is. I say unnecessary, because this subject has appeared numerous times on these forums and what does it achieve apart from inflicting pain onto Muslims who may dare venture here? And I must confess as a result, I feel pain also because they are my neighbours and I love them. So every time you write a negative post you not only hurt Muslims but also Catholics, well one at least and hopefully I have some friends left! Even if I thought they were following a false religion, I would not speak it. It would be the same as telling a plain looking person "You're ugly" If telling a person that they follow a false religion and a false prophet is going to end in them finding eternal life, then I would say go for it, but from what I have seen there are many atheists who are that way because they see so much hypocrisy in the behaviour of 'religious people'.
[/quote]
Hi Mark, long time, no see. :)

The third is not necessarily tied to Islam alone; many times in these recurring Islam threads, it seems as though some feel the need to convince others that forms of cruelty are wrong (whether from Islamists, Christians, or otherwise). I simply included that so that we could skip that part of the discussion from now on.

As far as evangelism goes, I agree, it would not be a good thing to go up to a Muslim and say "Your religion is false, and your prophet is too." However, one must remember context. Just as you might talk to your friends differently from your boss or a judge who you're trying to convince that you don't deserve a speeding ticket, one might naturally speak differently when speaking "internally" to those of similar persuasion than to someone who he is trying to convince of a viewpoint. If you went to a Muslim and said that, they would likely ignore you; you'd want to be more gentle and probably tactful. That doesn't change what we believe though, and here, in a place where few Muslims ever venture, it is probably alright to speak frankly.

Do you think your Muslim friends think Jesus is the Son of God? That Catholicism is a True religion? That it, and it alone, is the Truth and the Church of God? No. And they probably don't come to your face and say that, but that's alright. We're allowed to have different beliefs...God allowed it when He gave us free will. Even still, there is an objective right and an objective wrong. To act otherwise is to deny the truth.

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='22 February 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1266889527' post='2061537']
...yikes....i voted wrong! that's what happens when one hasn't slept in 36 hours and had a loooooong day at work! LOL!
[/quote]
:sweat: I was hoping it was a mistake. You can delete your vote and try again, at the bottom of the poll.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='23 February 2010 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1266889527' post='2061537']
[/quote]

Sweet dreams!

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='22 February 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1266888089' post='2061507']
[/quote]

Yes, kind of like the party in Stalinism.

The current Pope gave a somewhat different, less mindlessly dichotomous response when he was asked this a while ago.

[quote name='Hassan' date='22 February 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1266890469' post='2061560']
The current Pope gave a somewhat different, less mindlessly dichotomous response when he was asked this a while ago.
[/quote]
Simplifications are always radical. I'm sure the Pope would indeed offer a better explanation than any of us here could.