An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ecumenism Of Return

mortify

Ecumenism of Return (Private poll)  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='mortify' date='23 February 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1266979704' post='2062246']
[size="3"]"Venerable Brethren, it is clear why this Apostolic See has never allowed its subjects to take part in the assemblies of non-Catholics: for [b][i][color="#FF0000"]the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ[/color][/i][/b] of those who are separated from it, for in the past they have unhappily left it.

"For since the mystical body of Christ, in the same manner as His physical body, is one,[22] compacted and fitly joined together,[23] it were foolish and out of place to say that the mystical body is made up of members which are disunited and scattered abroad: whosoever therefore is not united with the body is no member of it, neither is he in communion with Christ its head.[24]

"Furthermore, in this one Church of Christ no man can be or remain who does not accept, recognize and obey the authority and supremacy of Peter and his legitimate successors. Did not the ancestors of those who are now entangled in the errors of Photius and the reformers, obey the Bishop of Rome, the chief shepherd of souls? Alas their children left the home of their fathers, but it did not fall to the ground and perish for ever, for it was supported by God. Let them therefore return to their common Father, who, forgetting the insults previously heaped on the Apostolic See, will receive them in the most loving fashion. [i][b][color="#FF0000"]For if, as they continually state, they long to be united with Us and ours, why do they not hasten to enter the Church, "the Mother and mistress of all Christ's faithful"?[[/color][/b][/i][/size]

[b]
Pope Pius XI, MORTALIUM ANIMOS, sections 10 and 11; 1928[/b]
[/quote]

Excellent.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='26 February 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1267237212' post='2063469']
Pope Benedict XVI's speech in Cologne: ". . . unity does not mean what could be called ecumenism of the return: that is, to deny and to reject one's own faith history. Absolutely not! It does not mean uniformity in all expressions of theology and spirituality, in liturgical forms and in discipline. Unity in multiplicity, and multiplicity in unity: in my Homily for the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul on 29 June last, I insisted that full unity and true catholicity in the original sense of the word go together. As a necessary condition for the achievement of this coexistence, the commitment to unity must be constantly purified and renewed; it must constantly grow and mature."
[/quote]

sounds like Pope Pius and Pope Benedict are talking about different things.