An Old School Catholic Message Board

All Your Church Are Belong To Us

Resurrexi

I think by this author's definition, I'd be considered a traditionalist now. Certainly not a year ago, and I still don't really want to consider myself as such, but that's how it is. :)

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='19 February 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1266559453' post='2059310']
I certainly do think that the prayers and ceremonies of the extraordinary form are superior to those of the ordinary form.
[/quote]

I must concur.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='19 February 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1266559197' post='2059303']
I love the article, except for one tiny little thing. :) I'm not a fan of his distinction between "traditionalist" and "just orthodox". I know that he stressed that by traditionalist he doesn't mean to refer to those in irregular canonical situations, but nonetheless, the association is there. I prefer to call myself orthodox rather than traditionalist because if I were to call myself a traditionalist, I'd be taking one side in a two sided struggle. By calling myself orthodox, I take the only correct side. The trick is being quite sure that orthodox is defined properly... which includes, in my opinion, all, or most of the points that the above other touched on. :)

+1.
[/quote]

One can label himself both as "orthodox" and as "traditionalist". :)

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='19 February 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1266559453' post='2059310']
I certainly do think that the prayers and ceremonies of the extraordinary form are superior to those of the ordinary form.
[/quote]
So one receives more grace from an EF mass than an OF mass?

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='19 February 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1266559656' post='2059317']
So one receives more grace from an EF mass than an OF mass?
[/quote]

The amount of grace that one receives at any Mass is dependent on a large variety of factors.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='19 February 2010 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1266560142' post='2059323']
The amount of grace that one receives at any Mass is dependent on a large variety of factors.
[/quote]
The intention of the pray-er being more important than the words of the prayer.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='19 February 2010 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1266559373' post='2059308']
Certainly you don't believe that it is in some way superior to the ordinary form.
[/quote]

You should take a look at [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=101942&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1"]this[/url] thread.

KeenanParkerII

Interesting article. From what I hear Vatican II wasn't exactly the uhhh subtlest or soundest er idea in the history of the Church. I have yet to experience my first EF Mass, but my natural tendency is to swing towards the traditional.

[quote]But, of course, things never work like that. You can't bring back the Habsburgs by hanging their banners in your apartment (trust me, I've tried)[/quote]

Great line! Especially for a history student. :))

cmotherofpirl

" The old Mass reminds me of what they used to say about the Catholic Church and the U.S. Navy: "It's a machine built by geniuses so it can be operated safely by idiots." The old liturgy was crafted by saints, and can be said by schlubs without risk of sacrilege. The new rite was patched together by bureaucrats, and should only be safely celebrated by the saintly."

THis was the best part in the article!! THis is SO true.

+JMJ+
[quote]Of course, there's something to be said for a liturgy whose very nature resists and defeats abuses. The Ordinary Form can be extraordinarily reverent when said by a holy priest. I've been to such liturgies hundreds of times, and I'm grateful for every one. On the other hand, the new liturgy, with all its Build-a-Bear options, is terribly easy to abuse. The old Mass reminds me of what they used to say about the Catholic Church and the U.S. Navy: "It's a machine built by geniuses so it can be operated safely by idiots." The old liturgy was crafted by saints, and can be said by schlubs without risk of sacrilege. The new rite was patched together by bureaucrats, and should only be safely celebrated by the saintly.[/quote]
:lol: love this paragraph especially!!

[quote name='Lil Red' date='19 February 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1266599671' post='2059447']
+JMJ+

:lol: love this paragraph especially!!
[/quote]

You beat me to it Cmom & Red!!!!!

Edited by Veridicus

If you put a Mass in a box and aim a gun attached to a piece of uranium to that box, you will not know if the Mass is traditional or not until you open the box.