An Old School Catholic Message Board

4X4 Trucks Are So Much Better Than 2Wd...

Theoketos

If you're never going to get off the pavement, the gas mileage is better in 2WD. My brother once said that 4WD's are only good for getting you into trouble someplace a wrecker can't help.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='16 February 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1266364493' post='2058092']
If you're never going to get off the pavement, the gas mileage is better in 2WD. My brother once said that 4WD's are only good for getting you into trouble someplace a wrecker can't help.
[/quote]

Amen. Four wheel drives (and I do own one) get stuck in the snow like anything else. In fact, this is my second 4 wheel drive vehicle. Four wheels will spin in the snow just like two wheels. 4x4's are great for people who live in Nairobi.

S.

I don't know why they even make trucks that are limited to one or the other. ;)
I like having the freedom of switching over. Plus that gives you the option of 4 low for if you get stuck in deep snow, etc..

...and there's something that feels really many about shifting that big lever into 4 wheel and feeling the other pair of wheels start grabbing. :lol:

[quote name='Theoketos' date='16 February 2010 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1266364373' post='2058089']
I dare any one to give me a reason why there should be two wheel drive trucks.
[/quote]

Because some of us don't need to spend the extra money? Extra money that usually just buys a false sense of security for people who don't know how to use 4-wheel drive? It also buys lots of amusement for the rest of us during snowstorms.

~Sternhauser

This is why:

[img]http://www.bubbadrift.com/album/albums/batchadd/FDchi/normal_gallery158%252Ejpg.jpg[/img]

and this:

[img]http://www.jwracing-fab.com/gallery/main.php/d/99-2/jr_truck_burnout.jpg[/img]

BTW, I have nothing against 4wd/AWD, plus there are some awesome 4wd trucks out there, but there are lots of awesome RWD trucks too.

Edited by scardella

[quote name='Theoketos' date='16 February 2010 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1266364373' post='2058089']
[/quote]
4WD is heavier.

I saw this kind of 4WD yesterday. A bunch have started showing up around here. They're right hand drives, but my mini-van definitely acted depressed after seeing it.

[img]http://www.terra2imports.ca/ab-images/125851086992522.jpg[/img]

KeenanParkerII

[quote][img]http://www.terra2imports.ca/ab-images/125851086992522.jpg[/img][/quote]

What's up with that? I'm seeing tons of these around here too. At first I thought it was just some weird Australians or something brought their van with them, but not anymore. (No offense to Australians <3)

I like the option but here are a few pointers:

4WD means better traction
4WD means worse gas mileage
4WD means tire wear
4WD means loss of traction on sharp corners/bad turning radius
4WD means getting stuck less or in harder spots

My father always said 4WD is great, but if you're not smart about it you'll just get yourself more stuck.

I have a quad trek and I have taken that thing in some unimaginable places. But at the same time when the road gets slippery, one wrong move will send you flying off the road; I've been in the ditch a few times, but luckily I was able to drive right out :)

Unless you're seriously off-roading, I'd prefer an electronically controlled center diff than a transfer case if you're talking 4WD vs AWD.

AWD is pretty awesome in snow. Wife's Subaru is great in it.

I much prefer RWD when the snow isn't falling though.

Current garage:
1998 Jetta - winter beater
2003 Forester - Wife's car
2007 350Z - fun car... I miss it..

[quote name='Theoketos' date='16 February 2010 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1266364373' post='2058089']
[/quote]

number one: gas mileage
number two: maintenance cost
number three: cause: 4 wheel is unnecessary and actually a disadvantage on ice

[quote name='apparently' date='18 February 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1266542938' post='2059073']
number three: cause: 4 wheel is unnecessary and actually a disadvantage on ice
[/quote]
If we're talking about driving on a hockey rink, that may be true, but it's irrelevant. We have a 4WD truck, and it's been a lifesaver in our winter months (i.e. November to April). We drive on icy snow, packed snow, that sort of thing. It takes a total of five seconds to realize that on these conditions 4WD is much safer than 2WD, all things being equal.
Of course a good set of tires is just as important, because with inappropriate tires you're in just as bad a situation.