An Old School Catholic Message Board

Therese 1986

carmelite15

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='17 February 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1266419165' post='2058313']
JMJ
And was it my opinion, or did they make up a lot of stuff? Artistic impovisation?
[/quote]

Thanks be to God much of it was Hollywood fabrication!

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='17 February 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1266436430' post='2058438']
It was made in France, not by Hollywood.
[/quote]

The reference to holly wood was just joking....:blink:

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='17 February 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1266418942' post='2058312']
JMJ
We should put a note on this topic, don't watch if pregnant and or nauseaus!
[/quote]

but if you`re on meds please donate them to Therese and her sisters :lol:

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='16 February 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1266373817' post='2058146']
Does any on have the blck and white moveie? I have heard it is pretty good. This one was GROSS in some parts.
[/quote]
I do have the old movie and I like it, but I still have some quibbles with it. I don't like how it portrays the young Thérèse, it trivializes some of her behaviors and ignores her true struggles. It is also English dubbed over French. (Very annoying if you can lip read some of the French) However, they got the more traditional sense of Carmel. (Well except that Therese's sisters try waltzing into her cell, but she tells them she isn't there for them) The nuns wear grate veils and the (in)famous spiked cross makes an appearance. (It portrays it as if she was completely against corporal mortification, she wasn't.)
It's funny because it starts out in Latin with some cardinals, if I remember correctly. On the whole, a good movie. It does portray more fully the tension caused by Mother Marie de Gonzague, which the newest movie completely glosses over.
I hope this helps and that I haven't ruined the movie for anyone. I believe it can be bought through Ignatius Press.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='truthfinder' date='18 February 2010 - 03:06 AM' timestamp='1266476811' post='2058710']
I do have the old movie and I like it, but I still have some quibbles with it. I don't like how it portrays the young Thérèse, it trivializes some of her behaviors and ignores her true struggles. It is also English dubbed over French. (Very annoying if you can lip read some of the French) However, they got the more traditional sense of Carmel. (Well except that Therese's sisters try waltzing into her cell, but she tells them she isn't there for them) The nuns wear grate veils and the (in)famous spiked cross makes an appearance. (It portrays it as if she was completely against corporal mortification, she wasn't.)
It's funny because it starts out in Latin with some cardinals, if I remember correctly. On the whole, a good movie. It does portray more fully the tension caused by Mother Marie de Gonzague, which the newest movie completely glosses over.
I hope this helps and that I haven't ruined the movie for anyone. I believe it can be bought through Ignatius Press.
[/quote]

Mother Marie Gonzaque was at the most charitable a very big factor in Therese's becoming a saint. She was an extremely un balanced personality in many ways. Not the villian but emotionally sick at the least. Yet in all fairness maybe it was she who God used as the forge and anvil in There's sanctification besides the TB. It amazes me how nothing is without merit in the economy of God. In the end therese used those trial not only to become the Great saint she is today but also to train her novices how to become better Carmelites through her own sufferings in this manner.

A good lenten meditation on how to turn all for the good of our oen and others sanctification when we are forced to deal with those we would rather not.

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity

tenderly,

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='16 February 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1266335092' post='2057866']
I think those films reflect that a lot of people confuse her spirituality of [i]childlikeness[/i] with [i]childishness[/i]. I think a book that really shows her as she was is [i]My Sister Saint Therese by Sr. Genieve of the St. Teresa.[/i]
[/quote]

:yes: I agree completely, Saint Therese -- especially on that book! :book:

[i]My Sister Saint Therese[/i] is my absolute favorite "St. Therese" book. Just remarkable.

laetitia crucis

So, has anyone ever read [url="http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Face-Study-Therese-Lisieux/dp/089870927X"][i]The Hidden Face: A Study of St. Therese of Lisieux[/i][/url] by Ida Friederike Gorres? If so, how do you think this book really compares to her life, especially in her Carmel?

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41J3XECD1HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg[/img]

(I've only read the first chapter -- I didn't get to finish it while I was in the convent. :lol: )

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='18 February 2010 - 04:47 AM' timestamp='1266493665' post='2058751']
Mother Marie Gonzaque was at the most charitable a very big factor in Therese's becoming a saint. She was an extremely un balanced personality in many ways. Not the villian but emotionally sick at the least. Yet in all fairness maybe it was she who God used as the forge and anvil in There's sanctification besides the TB. It amazes me how nothing is without merit in the economy of God. In the end therese used those trial not only to become the Great saint she is today but also to train her novices how to become better Carmelites through her own sufferings in this manner. [/quote]

I hope no one misunderstands what I wrote. I was happy that they portrayed her as a little off-balanced in the older film. In the new film, it is like she is all roses and no thorns. I wish not to pass any judgement on Marie Gonzague as we all have our own problems, but she would apparently put one rule in place one day, and change it to something very different the next. The sisters just stopped obeying her, except for Therese. Many saints have had superiors who were not always the best people but they most likely caused others to become more holy.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='truthfinder' date='18 February 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1266520644' post='2058858']
I hope no one misunderstands what I wrote. I was happy that they portrayed her as a little off-balanced in the older film. In the new film, it is like she is all roses and no thorns. I wish not to pass any judgement on Marie Gonzague as we all have our own problems, but she would apparently put one rule in place one day, and change it to something very different the next. The sisters just stopped obeying her, except for Therese. Many saints have had superiors who were not always the best people but they most likely caused others to become more holy.
[/quote]

No judgment seen in your remark...only a statement of truth.