An Old School Catholic Message Board

Therese 1986

carmelite15

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='carmelite15' date='15 February 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1266281334' post='2057719']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdpQUbzAZgw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UdpQUbzAZgw[/url]
[/quote]

I watched all 7 parts of Therese but truthfully found it to be rather depressing and not really representative of Carmel at all. Even the joyful parts seemed strained and as for topics of discussion...well maybe they talk of those things in france but american Carmels are much more discreet.

To me it made Carmelites look like a bunch of frustrated oddballs not really human and loving in a healthy way.

Just my opinion. If Carmel were really like that I would have head for the hills long ago!

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity

I've heard that the Therese movie from 1986 is not a good representation of the life of St. Therese. It's more dull and not beautiful. I think the 2004 film was much better, but a bit too sweet in some parts. :)

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='16 February 2010 - 04:21 AM' timestamp='1266308480' post='2057824']
IMHO neither film is representative of the life and spirituality of St Therese.
[/quote]

I agree... Both films portray therese as less than fully human in a balanced way even if they may try and neither of them represent true Carmelite life which is my bigger concern as it gives people a stilted vision of our life..

I think much of this has to do with what i think the producers perceive as artistic license. All in all it does little to express true Carmelite life and as such poorly expresses Therese's life in Carmel

Saint Therese

I think those films reflect that a lot of people confuse her spirituality of [i]childlikeness[/i] with [i]childishness[/i]. I think a book that really shows her as she was is [i]My Sister Saint Therese by Sr. Genieve of the St. Teresa.[/i]

To anyone who might come across this thread and who has not read Story of a Soul read that first before you consider watching either film about Therese. Neither film about her is a good intro to her and I actually think do a huge disservice and are almost insulting to this great saint.

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='16 February 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1266335092' post='2057866']
I think those films reflect that a lot of people confuse her spirituality of [i]childlikeness[/i] with [i]childishness[/i]. I think a book that really shows her as she was is [i]My Sister Saint Therese by Sr. Genieve of the St. Teresa.[/i]
[/quote]

I havent read that book but Amazon has it for $8 [url="http://www.amazon.com/Sister-Therese-Genevieve-Holy-Face/dp/0895555980"]here[/url] Hmmmm so tempted to buy it!

JMJ
I just watched it, and really just didn't care for it at all. I thought it waum, icky? in some parts, and made Therese look like she needed to be on meds. Does any on have the blck and white moveie? I have heard it is pretty good. This one was GROSS in some parts.

[quote name='vee8' date='16 February 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1266363965' post='2058079']
To anyone who might come across this thread and who has not read Story of a Soul read that first before you consider watching either film about Therese. Neither film about her is a good intro to her and I actually think do a huge disservice and are almost insulting to this great saint.
[/quote]

I agree. It would be the best insight into her life, however, it was heavily edited by her Sisters (especially Pauline, aka Sr. Agnes). I've heard that there are some rare copies of the non-edited version, but I don't know where you get them.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='16 February 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1266376867' post='2058167']
I agree. It would be the best insight into her life, however, it was heavily edited by her Sisters (especially Pauline, aka Sr. Agnes). I've heard that there are some rare copies of the non-edited version, but I don't know where you get them.
[/quote]

This is quite true... The story of a soul is also not a good reflection of Therese so heavily was it influenced by her sisters and their love for her. Actually Therese's Carmel was a bit dysfunctional to say the least. I think many of her heroic virtues will be known only to God alone or when we meet in heaven. Such is the price of true humility. It often lies hidden in the soul not only to others without but to the soul itself.

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='16 February 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1266373817' post='2058146']
JMJ
I just watched it, and really just didn't care for it at all. I thought it waum, icky? in some parts, and made Therese look like she needed to be on meds. Does any on have the blck and white moveie? I have heard it is pretty good. This one was GROSS in some parts.
[/quote]

Here its not the best I did it myself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvaREH_Rna8

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='16 February 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1266376867' post='2058167']
[/quote]

Ooooh mysterious non edited copies... sounds intriguing.

[quote] Actually Therese's Carmel was a bit dysfunctional to say theleast.[/quote]

Heh! yeah if it was even a tiny bit like that movie :unsure: From what Ive seen on youtube they dont seem to have improved either.

[quote]I think many of her heroic virtues will be known only to Godalone or when we meet in heaven.[/quote]

If I make it to heaven (Im trying) I dont know whether Id hug her or choke her first because she went and turned my life upside down and now Im on here.

[quote]
I just watched it, and really just didn't care for it at all. I thoughtit waum, icky? in some parts, and made Therese look like she needed tobe on meds.[/quote]
:lol_roll: I agree. I was eating crackers while watching it not expecting the gross parts and completely lost my appetite and almost my crackers after that.