An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visitation Monastery

trustandgratitude

trustandgratitude

Hi all!!

I am leaving this monday to stay with the Visitation nuns in snellville for a while and before I leave I wanted to put a plug in for them. The snellville monastery has a great bunch of women including one in temporary vow, one novice and three postulants. They are very faithfull to their rule and while the building is not much to look at there is much joy and a real feeling of fraternal love. They are open to women of all ages and are open to those with less the perfect health and while they have no website they are worth a look into. They also except women for private retreats for those who are not interested in them as a vocation chose or would rather just observe with out the pressure of thinking you're being judged.

Trustandgraditude

laetitia crucis

[quote name='trustandgratitude' date='12 February 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1265994418' post='2055904']
Hi all!!

I am leaving this monday to stay with the Visitation nuns in snellville for a while and before I leave I wanted to put a plug in for them. The snellville monastery has a great bunch of women including one in temporary vow, one novice and three postulants. They are very faithfull to their rule and while the building is not much to look at there is much joy and a real feeling of fraternal love. They are open to women of all ages and are open to those with less the perfect health and while they have no website they are worth a look into. They also except women for private retreats for those who are not interested in them as a vocation chose or would rather just observe with out the pressure of thinking you're being judged.

Trustandgraditude
[/quote]

Hi trustandgratitude! This sounds like it's going to be a great retreat/trip for you! :) I will be sure to keep you in my prayers while you're there. :pray:

If you don't mind, when you return, would you mind telling us about your visit? The community's way of life and schedule? Some fun facts? Your favorite part of being there? :nerd: I'd be interested in hearing about your visit. :)

God bless,
lc

[quote name='trustandgratitude' date='12 February 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1265994418' post='2055904']
Hi all!!

Trustandgraditude
[/quote]

Sounds wonderful! I have considered contacting and/or visiting them, but do not drive, so could not figure our how I would get there from the airport. May I ask if you rent a car, did you call or write? Who would be the Sister to contact? Thanks so much!
Blessings on your live-in!
In the tender Hearts...

trustandgratitude

Laetitia crucis,

This is actually my second visit and I have already been accepted as a postulant so I may not be coming back, but we will see what God wills. My first visit was in early January and was for a little over a week and I treated it much like a retreat and was treated the same with no expectations. I had a few shocks as personalities differ and as I am used to Benedictine ways and customs(including liturgy). Thier schedule is pretty much like that of the other Visitation monasteries that do have websites, they pray the Hours 5 times a day, have 1 1/2 hours of meditation done in common, 1 hour of spiritual reading/lectio. They have exposition on Sundays and First Fridays and Mass every day. The community's way of life is one of silent recollection and charity. St. Fransic de Sales said that "the spirit of the Visitaion order is one of profound humility before God and great gentleness towards neighbor".

TAG

laetitia crucis

[quote name='trustandgratitude' date='12 February 2010 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1265996262' post='2055927']
Laetitia crucis,

This is actually my second visit and I have already been accepted as a postulant so I may not be coming back, but we will see what God wills. My first visit was in early January and was for a little over a week and I treated it much like a retreat and was treated the same with no expectations. I had a few shocks as personalities differ and as I am used to Benedictine ways and customs(including liturgy). Thier schedule is pretty much like that of the other Visitation monasteries that do have websites, they pray the Hours 5 times a day, have 1 1/2 hours of meditation done in common, 1 hour of spiritual reading/lectio. They have exposition on Sundays and First Fridays and Mass every day. The community's way of life is one of silent recollection and charity. St. Fransic de Sales said that "the spirit of the Visitaion order is one of profound humility before God and great gentleness towards neighbor".

TAG
[/quote]

Ooh -- then I must say, "CONGRATULATIONS!" :yahoo:

What wonderful news!!! I don't know what else to say except that I am [b]so [/b]happy and excited for you!

And also, thank you for kindly answering my little questions while you're here now. :) :saint:

trustandgratitude

[quote name='Two Hearts' date='12 February 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1265995680' post='2055922']
Sounds wonderful! I have considered contacting and/or visiting them, but do not drive, so could not figure our how I would get there from the airport. May I ask if you rent a car, did you call or write? Who would be the Sister to contact? Thanks so much!
Blessings on your live-in!
In the tender Hearts...
[/quote]

Two Hearts,

There is a shuttle that runs from the airport to snellville and then one of the Srs. would pick you up at the hotel it dropped you at. I think it is called AAA Airport Express(404.767.2000) and runs on the hour until 11pm and is about 45$ round trip. I live in Tallahassee and is to expensive to fly so I'm taking the bus and a friend is picking me up. I do not drive either. The person to contact would be Mother Jane Francis, I wrote her and she called me so it might be better just to call. Thank for the prayers and blessings.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='trustandgratitude' date='12 February 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1265997258' post='2055936']
Two Hearts,

There is a shuttle that runs from the airport to snellville and then one of the Srs. would pick you up at the hotel it dropped you at. I think it is called AAA Airport Express(404.767.2000) and runs on the hour until 11pm and is about 45$ round trip. I live in Tallahassee and is to expensive to fly so I'm taking the bus and a friend is picking me up. I do not drive either. The person to contact would be Mother Jane Francis, I wrote her and she called me so it might be better just to call. Thank for the prayers and blessings.
[/quote]

Many Prayers for you my friend and for all the sisters. I rejoice in the gift of your vocation! :clap::clap::clap:

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity :blowkiss:

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='trustandgratitude' date='12 February 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1265997258' post='2055936']
Two Hearts,

[/quote]

ummmm.... what state is Snellville in? :sadder:

she_who_is_not

Georgia. It's in Gwinnett County north of Atlanta and I believe the monastery has quite a bit of land. The superior is very nice and very honest about monastery life.

Two Hearts,

[/quote]

How kind of you to respond - knowing there is a shuttle is so very helpful. I may contact Mother - whom, I believe is a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother as well! :)

http://www.georgiabulletin.org/local/2008/06/05/superior/

May Jesus hold you ever so near to his heart as your Visitation journey begins.

trustandgratitude

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='12 February 2010 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1266006617' post='2056008']
Georgia. It's in Gwinnett County north of Atlanta and I believe the monastery has quite a bit of land. The superior is very nice and very honest about monastery life.
[/quote]

You are right the monastery is in Gwinnett County but it is southwest of atlanta. You're also quite right about the superior she is very blunt, a little shocking at first but the honesty is nice.

trustandgratitude

[quote name='Two Hearts' date='12 February 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1266007832' post='2056017']
How kind of you to respond - knowing there is a shuttle is so very helpful. I may contact Mother - whom, I believe is a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother as well! :)

http://www.georgiabulletin.org/local/2008/06/05/superior/

May Jesus hold you ever so near to his heart as your Visitation journey begins.
[/quote]

Oh I hope you do contact Mother, She is a delieght and very down to earth. Please pray me and I you.

[quote name='trustandgratitude' date='13 February 2010 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1266099280' post='2056644']
Oh I hope you do contact Mother, She is a delieght and very down to earth. Please pray me and I you.
[/quote]

It's a promise! Thank you!

Bless your heart!

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

I just received a gorgeous self-published book from a Visitation Monastery.(It covers the entire history of the Order and the different Visitation Monasteries within the US) I will have to find out if it is available for all, because it is a beautiful look into their life and vocation. In the meantime, lots of prayers for those considering the Visitation vocation. :sign:

I think they bring something very, very special to our Church.

Pax,
TradMom