An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would This Be Consistent W/ A Vocation To An Order With A Contemplativ

Shana

No, I haven't been. Could you tell Bro. Sean Shana (pronounced Shay-na) said hi! I haven't talked to him since a few summers ago. We were both camp councilors at an awesome summer camp in the Adirondacks, camp Guggeneheim. We sort of had a special bond b/c we both spent a lot of time in the chapel. It was that summer in that chapel I'd say I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. He was one of the first to ask if I had ever though of becoming a nun...when he asked me that I was not open to the idea at all...so tell him I'm in discernment for becoming a sister...he would be absolutely thrilled. Relay a message back to me from him! :)

[quote name='Shana' date='03 February 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1265174508' post='2050274']
Now I know charismatic prayer and contemplative spirituality aren't at odds with each other, but for lack of a better way to express this I'm going to be using "charismatic" to mean the type of prayer I've been experiencing (letting the Holy Spirit move me physcially...I don't know how to adequately describe it but I can feel the Holy Spirit, and God has physcially drawn me closer to Himself present in the tabernacle...also moving my hands ect). This has been a normal occurance for me for almost two years. For lack of a better word I'm going to be using the term "contemplative" to mean prayer that is still. I feel strongly attracted to an order where their communal holy hour, the one time I prayed with them, was prayed in stillness. I would have felt too shy to allow the Holy Spirit move me physcially...and I'm not talking about anything crazy like getting up and dancing (not that there's anything wrong with that, lol)...just letting the Holy Spirit subtly move my hands. This inhibition may just be a natural result of not wanting to make myself that vulnerable the first time praying with people. Some of the sisters of this order ARE charismatic but their communal holy hour was the way I described it. I've wondered if perhaps God is calling me to a more charismatic order, but the only two I've found that may possibly work for I don't feel attracted to as I do this first order. I was sitting before the tabernacle the other day, telling Him all this...giving still prayer a shot and I DID have an intense experience of God, more intense than normal. But that was a one time thing and I don't want to be the one telling God how He can meet me. Can anyone relate to this in any way? Any advice?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Dear Shana,
May the peace of Our Lord reign in your heart.

Perhaps you would be interested in the Poor Clares of Lerma, as they are more charismatic (or at least it is part of the culture).
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=100231"](See link here for the thread on them).[/url]

The holiness present in this community is worth learning a new language for.

Edited by Rising_Suns

[quote name='Shana' date='04 February 2010 - 11:12 AM' timestamp='1265249568' post='2050900']
No, I haven't been. Could you tell Bro. Sean Shana (pronounced Shay-na) said hi! I haven't talked to him since a few summers ago. We were both camp councilors at an awesome summer camp in the Adirondacks, camp Guggeneheim. We sort of had a special bond b/c we both spent a lot of time in the chapel. It was that summer in that chapel I'd say I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. He was one of the first to ask if I had ever though of becoming a nun...when he asked me that I was not open to the idea at all...so tell him I'm in discernment for becoming a sister...he would be absolutely thrilled. Relay a message back to me from him! :)
[/quote]

i don't think i can give him a message, since i am here in the Philippines. I am one of the thousands of Lay Companions outside USA. I'm hoping to go to Omaha, since I am very very very interested to be a Hermit Intercessor of the Lamb. Take care!

I know an italian religious order that could be interesting for you.
It is more active than contemplative, but it is very suitable for artists.
Unfortunately they haven't an English website since they are in Italy, Brazil, and Burundi, but they have also a very little community in England, so if you'd like to join them you wouldn't have the barrier of the language.
Their italian website is this:

www.suoreoperaie.it

You can see also this one (a project started by a sister that was a dancer and still does apostolate through dance):
www.holydance.it

If you are interested in them and you wish to have translations ask me.

Good luck in your research!!!

Good news! I have an awesome spiritual director. Met with him today and definitely think he's the one...he even told me he thought he'd be the best one for me in the area because he's an artist too! He was a freelance artist before becoming a priest. He's TOB too!

tnavarro61, that's fine, if you ever do see him if you remember tell him I said hi!

[quote name='Shana' date='05 February 2010 - 07:25 AM' timestamp='1265322325' post='2051310']
Good news! I have an awesome spiritual director. Met with him today and definitely think he's the one...he even told me he thought he'd be the best one for me in the area because he's an artist too! He was a freelance artist before becoming a priest. He's TOB too!

tnavarro61, that's fine, if you ever do see him if you remember tell him I said hi!
[/quote]

and i pray help will come so that I'll be in Omaha.. :-) Although it seems very impossible, but I still hope in the Lord. :-)

I wrote to the Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, so hopefully communicating with them with give me more of an idea whether I should consider them or not.