An Old School Catholic Message Board

Traveller's Prayer

MarieLynn

Many years ago whenever we would leave the Convent for any reason, we always recited the Traveller's Prayer. Much to my shame I can no longer remember the words, and was wondering if anyone could help me out and give me the words to it. I should remember them I know, but try as I might they just elude me. Can anyone help?

Was it a really short prayer?

These are some possibilities:

O Almighty and merciful God,
who hast commissioned Thy angels to guide and protect us,
command them to be our assiduous companions
from our setting out until our return;
to clothe us with their invisible protection;
to keep from us all danger of collision,
of fire, of explosion, of fall and bruises,
and finally, having preserved us from all evil,
and especially from sin,
to guide us to our heavenly home.
Through Jesus Christ,
our Lord.

Amen.

Angel of God,
My Guardian Dear,
to whom His love commits me here,
ever this day be at my side,
to light and to guard,
to rule and guide.

Amen.

I hope this helps. :idontknow:

Here is the one our Community prayed:

Our Lady of the Highway, protect us on our way, for all your ways are beautiful and all your paths are peace. O God, who with unspeakable providence does rule and govern the world, grant unto us, your servants, through the intercessions of our watchful mother, to be protected from all danger and brought safely to the end of our journey.

St. Christopher, protect us.
St. Joseph, watch over us.
Amen.

Edited by Two Hearts

laetitia crucis

We usually just prayed a "Hail Mary" (and sometimes added a "Glory Be") and ended with "Our Lady of the Highways -- pray for us."

The Franciscans Sisters of the Immaculate have a really beautiful prayer for traveling, but I can't remember it. :think: Something about keeping one safe from physical harm, but also spiritual harm and possible occasions of sin. I thought it was so awesome. Usually they prayed it in Latin, though. (So.. that made it much harder for me to remember any of it. :blush: )

The Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph pray the Sub Tuum Praesidium, but in English. I remember listening to their travel-prayer and kept thinking to myself "Why is that SO familiar?" :lol: Then I translated it in Latin and :idea: (ding! ding! Ding), "It's SUB TUMM PRAESIDIUM!!!!" I'd only ever prayed that one in Latin, never in English. Hahaha!

JMJT

I like this one:
We place ourselves in the protection of the Precious Blood of Jesus, in Mary's Mantle. Our Lady of the Streets, pray for us.

The Missionaries of Charity prayed the Morning Offering when we were going somewhere:
O Jesus,
through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
I offer You my prayers, works,
joys and sufferings
of this day for all the intentions
of Your Sacred Heart,
in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass
throughout the world,
in reparation for my sins,
for the intentions of all my relatives and friends,
and in particular
for the intentions of the Holy Father.

Amen.

we usually prayed a couple Hail Mary's, the St. Michael Prayer, and an invocation to a few saints... Our Lady of the Highways, sometimes Our Lady of Cullman, Holy Father Francis and Holy Mother Clare, and the saints of the day and our patrons and guardian angels. The sister that was older in religion would lead, and some changed it up a bit.

Thank you to all of you for posting the prayers for starting out on a journey. Some of them are very familiar, i.e. the Morning Offering, but it did not seem to be the one we used. I think the one from Two Hearts was absolutely beautiful, and I will use it in future travel. The only thing I can remember about the "original" Traveller's Prayer were the words "and if this is to be my last journey......" and at the end were 3 "St Joseph pray for us", as the Community I was in had great devotion to St Joseph.

KeenanParkerII

Under traveler's prayer I found one to St.Christopher:

Dear Saint, you have inherited a beautiful name--Christ Bearer--as a result of a wonderful legend that while carrying people across a raging stream you also carried the Child Jesus. Teach us to be true Christ bearers to those who do not know him. Protect all drivers who often transport those who bear Christ within them.

Amen.
(St.Christopher, born in North Africa, died c. 308. Martyred for his faith, he is patron of travelers, archers, and storms. Feast: July 25.)

O Blessed St. Joseph,
who did accompany Jesus and Mary in all their journeys,
and who has therefore merited to be called the patron of all travelers,
accompany us in this journey
that we are about to undertake.
Be our guide and our protector;
watch over us;
preserve us from all accidents and dangers to soul and body;
support us in our fatigue,
and aid us to sanctify it by offering it to God.
Make us ever mindful that we are strangers,
sojourners here below;
that heaven is our true home;
and help us to persevere on the straight road that leads there.
We beseech thee especially to protect and aid us
in the last great voyage from time to eternity, so that,
under thy guidance we may reach the realm of happiness and glory,
there to repose eternally with thee in the company of Jesus and Mary.

Amen.

[quote name='MarieLynn' date='30 January 2010 - 01:34 AM' timestamp='1264840448' post='2047655']
Many years ago whenever we would leave the Convent for any reason, we always recited the Traveler's Prayer. Much to my shame I can no longer remember the words, and was wondering if anyone could help me out and give me the words to it. I should remember them I know, but try as I might they just elude me. Can anyone help?
[/quote]

PAX, every Congregation/Community pre-Councilar had this Liturgical practice ,now this practice has practically vanished, except for perhaps some short personal prayers.In my former Community, conservative but no means 'Traditional', we would just get a blessing from our Superior, and pray the Hail Mary and to St. Joseph and the angels as we went.

Below i give you a translation from the Latin, of the Benedictine [i]'Itinerary',[/i]prayers, only done when a cloistered monk (or Nun),sets out alone on a overnight or more journey from the Monastery is prayed, but if more then one monk departs ,its prayed in the plural as below.
This practice i have witnessed, very wonderfully, still takes place in many Traditional Benedictine Monasteries, such as Norcia,Fontgombault, Clear Creek,Triors, Barroux, etc.. this is prayed in Chapter or Choir, with the departing brethren kneeling in the middle of Choir, before the monks leave on an overnight trip.
There is also a prayer of thanksgiving at the end of Vespers upon the monks return.
-------------------------------------------
[b]THE ITINERARY[/b]

THE ANTIPHON
In the way of peace and prosperity may the almighty and merciful Lord direct us; and may the
angel Raphael accompany us on the way that we may return to our home in peace, in safety,
and in joy.
[b]THE SONG OF ZACHARIAS[/b](alternating choir)
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for He has visited and redeemed His people and has raised
up a horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David, as He spoke by the mouth of His
holy prophets from of old, that we should be saved from our enemies and from the hand of all
who hate us, to perform the mercy promised to our fathers and to remember His holy covenant,
the oath which He swore to our father Abraham, to grant us that we, being delivered from the
hand of our enemies, might serve Him without fear in holiness and righteousness all the days of
our life. And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High, for you will go before the
Lord to prepare His ways, to give knowledge of salvation to His people in the forgiveness of their
sins through the tender mercy of our God when the day shall dawn upon us from on high to give
light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of
peace. Glory be to the Father... (The Antiphon repeated)
[b]THE KYRIE[/b]
Kyrie Eleison
Chrsti Eleison
Kyrie Eleison
[b]
THE LORD’S PRAYER[/b]
[i]said silently ,with profound bow,until[/i][size="2"][/size]

...And lead us not into temptation:
But deliver us from evil.
--
[b]alternating Brethren and departing[/b]
(Abbot)O God, save Thy servants:
R;Who trust in Thee.
May He send us help from the sanctuary:
R;And give us support from Zion.
Be unto us, O Lord, a strong tower:
Against all calamity.
R:Let no evil come upon us.
But guard us from all danger and peril.
Blessed be the Lord today.
R:The God of our salvation protect us.
Make us know Thy ways, O Lord.
Teach us Thy paths.
Oh, that our ways may be steadfast:
In keeping Thy statutes!

The crooked ways shall be made straight.
And the rough ways shall be made smooth.
God will give His angels charge of you:
To guard you in all your ways.
All:Hear our prayer, O Lord.
And let our cry come to Thee.

[b]The Lord be with you:
And with Thy spirit.[/b]

[b]THE COLLECTS[/b]
O God, who didst cause the Children of Israel to pass dry-shod through the midst of the sea
and who by the leading of a star didst bring the Wise Men the way unto Thyself, grant to us, we
beseech Thee, a prosperous journey and fair weather that, attended by Thy holy angel, we may
joyfully arrive at the place whither we are going and finally attain to the haven of eternal salvation;
through Jesus Christ, Thy Son, our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with Thee and the Holy Spirit,
ever one God, unto the ages of ages. all:Amen.

O God, who didst bring Abraham, Thy servant, from Ur of the Chaldees and didst keep him in
safety through all the days of his pilgrimage, we beseech Thee that Thou wouldst protect Thy
servants; be to us, O Lord, in setting forth our Support, in the way a consolation, in heat a
shadow, in rain and cold a covering, in weariness a chariot, in adversity a support, in slippery
places a staff, in shipwreck a port that, Thou being our Leader, we may prosperously reach the
place whither we go and at length return in safety to our home; through Jesus Christ, Thy Son,
our Lord. Amen.
Assist us mercifully, O Lord, in these our supplications and prayer, and dispose the way of
Thy servants toward the attainment of everlasting salvation that amongst all the changes and
chances of this mortal life we may ever be defended by Thy most gracious and ready help; through
Jesus Christ, Thy Son, our Lord. Amen.
Grant, we beseech Thee, almighty God, that this Thy family may walk in the way of salvation and,
following the counsels of the blessed John, the forerunner, may safely come to Him whom he
foretold, Thy Son Jesus Christ, our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with Thee and the Holy Ghost,
ever one God, world without end. Amen.
Let us go forth in peace:
In the name of the Lord. Amen.
©1965
----------------------------
( the Eastern Catholic/ Orthodox have very similar practice, though longer prayers... of course)
-----------------------------

[i]"May Our Lady cover you with the mantel of her love, bring you safe to your earthly home, and then to that of her Son, in heaven, Amen"[/i]

Edited by EJames2

philosophette

I know that this is not the prayer that you are speaking of, but our community prays the following prayer when we get into a car:

[i]O Lord, may your blessing guide our way, defend us from evil and keep us from harm. Amen.
O angel of God...
Mary Help of Christians, pray for us.[/i]

-- Sr Brittany, Salesian

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MarieLynn' date='31 January 2010 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1264942416' post='2048187']
Thank you to all of you for posting the prayers for starting out on a journey. Some of them are very familiar, i.e. the Morning Offering, but it did not seem to be the one we used. I think the one from Two Hearts was absolutely beautiful, and I will use it in future travel. The only thing I can remember about the "original" Traveller's Prayer were the words "and if this is to be my last journey......" and at the end were 3 "St Joseph pray for us", as the Community I was in had great devotion to St Joseph.
[/quote]

Have you tried contacting the community where you were and asking them? Whenever I need help like this, I always contact one of the Prioresses of my former communities and they are so helpful and wonderful. I think we used one to Our Lady that ended with 'bring us safely home' - similar to one posted here, but I can't remember the exact words now.

There are so many beautiful prayers out there that are being used as "traveller"s prayers". It definitely was Pre Vat.2 that we used to pray the particular one that I am looking for, so it may have gone the way of a lot of prayers and altered beyond recognition in the ensuing years.

Thank you to all of you who have sent in prayers for going on a journey.

[quote name='nunsense' date='03 February 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1265146910' post='2049907']
Have you tried contacting the community where you were and asking them? Whenever I need help like this, I always contact one of the Prioresses of my former communities and they are so helpful and wonderful. I think we used one to Our Lady that ended with 'bring us safely home' - similar to one posted here, but I can't remember the exact words now.
[/quote]

Yes I have been in contact with my former Community, but unfortunately the Superiors that were around at that time have either died, are in Care , or can't recall exactly. The only one from the group I entered with, who has perservered in her vocation has been really great, but she also said that it has been soooo long since the Community prayed that prayer that she too has forgotten it, and try as she might she can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere.