An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roeder's Trial

lost_in_this_world

lost_in_this_world

anyone watch the trial or keeping up with it..

i caught most of roeder's time on the stand today and it was interesting..just wondering what other people thought

He has no justification for his actions that can satisfy the law in my opinion. Then again I'm not really an expert on this state's law. Even if the idea that he felt he was stopping Tiller from committing murder/abortion, he shot the guy in church and not while he was inserting his tools at work. There was no 'immediate' threat to life. Despite what Roeder says, I don't think it was simply a matter of convenience that he shot this guy at Church. Roeder was making a statement by shooting him in a church; had he wanted to end the guy's life and have a snowball's chance of a lessened conviction he should have done the deed at the guy's work.

That said, I do not think he should have done the deed. It's all an unfortunate situation. Tiller was a monster; however, one must not become a monster in the act of fighting monsters.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Veridicus' date='28 January 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1264724785' post='2046754']
however, one must not become a monster in the act of fighting monsters.
[/quote]

That's a paraphrase of Neitzsche's quote! haha :)

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='28 January 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1264724900' post='2046755']
That's a paraphrase of Neitzsche's quote! haha :)
[/quote]

yeah, I read stuff. :smokey:

:))

I think his attorney is doing him a mis-service for political reasons. I'm sure his fees are being paid by a pro-life fringe group, so his emphasis will be on the self defense of others. If he were truly representing his client's best interests, he would have pled non-compus due to his mental illness, and lack of proper medication.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='28 January 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1264739373' post='2047042']
I think his attorney is doing him a mis-service for political reasons. I'm sure his fees are being paid by a pro-life fringe group, so his emphasis will be on the self defense of others. If he were truly representing his client's best interests, he would have pled non-compus due to his mental illness, and lack of proper medication.
[/quote]

Maybe Roeder wants to use his case politically. :idontknow:

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='28 January 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1264739555' post='2047046']
Maybe Roeder wants to use his case politically. :idontknow:
[/quote]
I'm sure he does, but part of zealously representing your client is sometimes telling them no. If my client thought he was Napoleon, I wouldn't let him plead not guilty by his right of monarchy.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='28 January 2010 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1264744019' post='2047108']
Does it reflect badly on his lawyer that he's making these arguments?
[/quote]
Well, they'd better not sit him next to the prosecutor at the next bar association dinner.

I'm guessing he's getting funding from the Army of God.

I tell you I don't wish hell on anyone. I do however pray that heaven is so vast, I don't have to run into these idiots (and this is my failing) .

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Veridicus' date='28 January 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1264728473' post='2046826']
yeah, I read stuff. :smokey:

:))
[/quote]

awesome! I do too xD

lost_in_this_world

[quote name='CatherineM' date='29 January 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1264739373' post='2047042']
[/quote]

why plead mental illness if that was not the case....although i dont agree with roeders actions i thought it was upstanding to completely admit all of his actions undeniably. he seemed to have stayed true to his convictions despite the consequences which is interesting because most people would commit a crime and then try to get out of it.

[quote name='lost_in_this_world' date='29 January 2010 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1264795224' post='2047374']
why plead mental illness if that was not the case....although i dont agree with roeders actions i thought it was upstanding to completely admit all of his actions undeniably. he seemed to have stayed true to his convictions despite the consequences which is interesting because most people would commit a crime and then try to get out of it.
[/quote]
Because he has had schizophrenia for years, and hasn't been properly medicated.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='29 January 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1264795848' post='2047382']
Because he has had schizophrenia for years, and hasn't been properly medicated.
[/quote]

That's so sad. Now I'm wondering if his lawyer didn't plead properly on purpose.