An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraception

Resurrexi

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='25 January 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1264481499' post='2044695']
It might still be labeled contraceptive on the bottle. It is a matter of semantics.
[/quote]

Something is not mere semantics if it makes an important distinguishment between what is evil and what is morally acceptable.

Happy_Catholic

[quote name='Selah' date='25 January 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1264476763' post='2044635']
If the pill is being taken for medical purposes (I.E. "women" problems) I don't see how or why it would be wrong. What do you guys think?
[/quote]

I know others have said its not, but given the Contraceptive pill wasn't created with intention of solving "women's problems" it probably a dangerous gate way or alternative.

I know a girl who was taking the pill for her acne, which was quite hideous, she told me once, "its great, if I wanna have sex I don't have to worry about pregnancy cos I'm already on the pill!" Taking it for BC wasn't her first intention, but eventually it became obvious to her her behaviour could be altered because of it being always in the background.

Anyway, there are other alternatives to the Pill. I have an "issue" that the Pill could clear right up, I told my doctor I ain't taking that poision (the pill) and he put me on something that was originally crafted as a diretic.

People just have to ask, there's a lot of stuff out there can do the same thing as the Pill with less side effects both physical and spiritual.

And yeah, I think contraceptives come straight from the devil, the smelly b@stard's just packaged it up to look all nice and happy and liberal. I mean, look at Margaret Sanger, that woman was all for contraceptives and then started going on about "removing the retarded weeds from teh garden of humanity" and "the most merciful thing a large family can do for one of its infant members is kill it".

I see it like dope, that's a gate way drug to harder stuff. I view contraceptives as a gateway to even more repugnant immorality.

[quote name='Raphael' date='25 January 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1264469370' post='2044523']
Whether directly or indirectly, the statement is true.
[/quote]
This. The sinful attitude that draws one towards contraception is what we should be talking about.

There are other medications that can accomplish the same medical end that contraceptives are supposed to. Doctors just prescribe the pill because it is easier. I have serious cramps that are now managed by a non-narcotic, non-contraceptive medication. The doctor never told me about it until 2 years ago.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='25 January 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1264483459' post='2044738']
There are other medications that can accomplish the same medical end that contraceptives are supposed to. Doctors just prescribe the pill because it is easier. I have serious cramps that are now managed by a non-narcotic, non-contraceptive medication. The doctor never told me about it until 2 years ago.
[/quote]

Like Tramadol or something? I have heard there are also sub-contraceptive doses of hormones which can assuage some of the feminine problems without being contraceptive.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='25 January 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1264483707' post='2044741']
Like Tramadol or something? I have heard there are also sub-contraceptive doses of hormones which can assuage some of the feminine problems without being contraceptive.
[/quote]
No hormone at all. It is an anti-spasmodic that is given for all kinds of abdominal cramps. I was originally given it when I was hospitalized during the listeria outbreak. When looking it up on line when I got home, it mentioned that it is also prescribed for menstrual cramps. I asked the doctor, and he was like, "yeah I guess so." It works great. One dose knocks them out without knocking me out, and it's cheap, after 30 years of dealing with it un-medicated.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Selah' date='26 January 2010 - 03:32 AM' timestamp='1264476763' post='2044635']
If the pill is being taken for medical purposes (I.E. "women" problems) I don't see how or why it would be wrong. What do you guys think?
[/quote]
It is very rare that the pill would be needed for medical reasons. If a doc says it's necessary, I'd recommend asking about alternatives and making sure the problem is really a hormonal one. If it isn't a hormonal problem, it's almost a certainty that there are other drugs out there that will do the job.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='26 January 2010 - 05:24 AM' timestamp='1264483459' post='2044738']
[/quote]
I didn't find out about an alternative until I finally asked my uncle (not exactly something you tend to bring up with an uncle). My own docs had never said anything other than the pill, but the mefenamic acid worked fine and is non-narcotic and non-contraceptive AFAIK.

contraception.. yes

contraceptives.. no

The birth control pill can be used for medical reasons. So it is a contraceptive but it is not entirly evil. Is it mostly used for contraception.. yes. Although not always.

Estrogen and progesterone are naturally occuring hormones in your body and you can even get a prescription for them so they can help you concieve. Although if you have sex during certin parts of using it, it can cause an abortion. Does this make estrogen and progesterone of the devil?

Its all a matter of what you use it and how you use it.

What happens when the human population has outstripped the capacity of the planet to feed it?

Like bacteria in a petri dish, and with no more attempt to control population growth than these unthinking bacteria show, humanity is on course to require more resources than the planet can supply. The attitude that "contraception is evil" is hastening this end.

[quote name='philbo' date='26 January 2010 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1264520252' post='2044899']
What happens when the human population has outstripped the capacity of the planet to feed it?

Like bacteria in a petri dish, and with no more attempt to control population growth than these unthinking bacteria show, humanity is on course to require more resources than the planet can supply. The attitude that "contraception is evil" is hastening this end.
[/quote]
Malthus said that 200 years ago. Since then the population of the world has increased sixfold. Far, far more than Malthus even could have imagined. He didn't take into account increases in technology.

[quote name='philbo' date='26 January 2010 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1264520252' post='2044899']
[/quote]
I can use similar logic to reject providing life prolonging care to diabetics. Or to any person possessing an inherited trait. We are weakening our genetics through preserving life due to the idea that all human life is worth preserving. I think I've asked you before if you support eugenics. You've just made the argument that justifies it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 January 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1264521207' post='2044911']
Malthus said that 200 years ago. Since then the population of the world has increased sixfold. Far, far more than Malthus even could have imagined. He didn't take into account increases in technology.
[/quote]
Do you really believe technology can support an indefinitely expanding human population? That there is no limit at all?

[quote name='Winchester' date='26 January 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1264521549' post='2044912']
I can use similar logic to reject providing life prolonging care to diabetics. Or to any person possessing an inherited trait. We are weakening our genetics through preserving life due to the idea that all human life is worth preserving. I think I've asked you before if you support eugenics. You've just made the argument that justifies it.
[/quote]
Suggesting that there is a maximum population that the Earth can support is an argument that justifies eugenics? Poppycock. To say it's the same logic that basically discards any kind of medical help for people is also ridiculous: it's according equivalent status to an unfertilized egg/sperm as to a living, thinking human.

[quote name='philbo' date='26 January 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1264526436' post='2044935']
Do you really believe technology can support an indefinitely expanding human population? That there is no limit at all?

[/quote]
I believe that it's irrelevant.

[quote name='philbo' date='26 January 2010 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1264526436' post='2044935']
Suggesting that there is a maximum population that the Earth can support is an argument that justifies eugenics? Poppycock. To say it's the same logic that basically discards any kind of medical help for people is also ridiculous: it's according equivalent status to an unfertilized egg/sperm as to a living, thinking human.
[/quote]
Suggesting that bad outcomes dictate morality is the same argument used to justify eugenics.

Edited by Winchester