An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraception

Resurrexi

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

It might be easier to get by with contraceptives are of the devil...since they help one to lie with one's body and Satan is the Prince of Lies. However, "from" means something concerning transferred possession...so wouldn't be as accurate. Saying they are "of the devil" may be better. It is close but has a different shade of meaning.

I would say a contraceptive act is from the devil, but not necessarily contraceptives themselves. In terms of oral contraceptives, estrogens and progesterones are naturally occurring hormones in animals; but their use in regimented quantities with contraceptive intent is of the devil.

I am trying to distinguish between [i]contraception [/i]and [i]contraceptives[/i].

Edited by Veridicus

I am fully convinced that contraception is of satan, because it is one of the greatest evils of our time... if not the greatest. In the sense of it's deceptiveness and the fact that the mentality it has created in society has unleashed so many other evils, I would almost go so far as to say it is worse than abortion.

Abortion never would have become accepted in society if contraception had not first. And contraception has destroyed countless marriages... probably more than abortion, because contraception is a staple of most marriages, whereas abortion is probably more typical of those who are not married.

I'm sure satan delights in the propagation of contraception more than anything else... he's able to do the most damage with it, and largely without most people even realizing how damaging it is.

[quote name='Raphael' date='25 January 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1264469370' post='2044523']
Whether directly or indirectly, the statement is true.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Undecided. I can think of situations where i.ex one spouse has aids, or some girl wants to take the pill for medical purposes. But I do know that's not why they're usually used.

The mindsets of many of the users are definitely of the devil though.

Edited by Hilde

If the pill is being taken for medical purposes (I.E. "women" problems) I don't see how or why it would be wrong. What do you guys think?

[quote name='Selah' date='25 January 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1264476763' post='2044635']
If the pill is being taken for medical purposes (I.E. "women" problems) I don't see how or why it would be wrong. What do you guys think?
[/quote]

If the pill is taken for medical purposes when one is not engaging in the marital act then it is not a contraceptive...

Contraceptive by definition is something that prevents conception. The pill is not acting as a contraceptive in this scenario anymore than not-having-sex is acting as a contraceptive.

[quote name='Slappo' date='25 January 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1264481391' post='2044694']
If the pill is taken for medical purposes when one is not engaging in the marital act then it is not a contraceptive...

Contraceptive by definition is something that prevents conception. The pill is not acting as a contraceptive in this scenario anymore than not-having-sex is acting as a contraceptive.
[/quote]

It might still be labeled contraceptive on the bottle. It is a matter of semantics.

[quote]If the pill is taken for medical purposes when one is not engaging in the marital act then it is not a contraceptive...[/quote]

That's what I thought :saint:

[quote name='Veridicus' date='25 January 2010 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1264468927' post='2044514']
I would say a contraceptive act is from the devil, but not necessarily contraceptives themselves. In terms of oral contraceptives, estrogens and progesterones are naturally occurring hormones in animals; but their use in regimented quantities with contraceptive intent is of the devil.

I am trying to distinguish between [i]contraception [/i]and [i]contraceptives[/i].
[/quote]

Oral contraceptives are only contraceptives if they are being used to contra-cept or counter-conception. The more proper term would be "oral contraceptive devices".

An electronic device is not being used as an electronic device if I am using it to throw at a dog. The "electronic" part of my Itouch for instance is not engaged in the act of throwing it across my bedroom.

Edit: To add clarification: A condom is not a contraceptive if it is being used as a baloon. It is a contraceptive if it is being used as something that prevents conception.

Edited by Slappo