An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ends Justify The Means

goldenchild17

goldenchild17

[quote name='Veridicus' date='04 February 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1265346812' post='2051525']
I'm not convince you can kill the guy for the key. Once you have the key it could maybe possibly be permissible to turn the machine off (a la hysterectomy type moral scenario).

So do the Ends justify the [i][b]means to the[/b][/i] means?
[/quote]

Yeah I don't think its justifiable to kill him for the key, even if he is the cause of it (although I'm leaning towards incorporating an innocent third-party victim as the host of the key.) However, there is no other way to get to the key. The key is inherently linked with the life of the victim (whether it be the guilty party, or an innocent party). So its either (1) kill him (or the innocent victim, I haven't decided yet) and save all of humanity. (2) Let him live and fulfill his plan and kill all of humanity. (3) Let him live, but shut down the whole system which will prevent the weapon from detonating, but also shut down the technology which is making our world run (and will result in the unintentional deaths of many many people if shut down).

I'm rambling, probably doesn't make any sense :) thanks though.

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='04 February 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1265347371' post='2051528']
Yeah I don't think its justifiable to kill him for the key, even if he is the cause of it (although I'm leaning towards incorporating an innocent third-party victim as the host of the key.) However, there is no other way to get to the key. The key is inherently linked with the life of the victim (whether it be the guilty party, or an innocent party). So its either (1) kill him (or the innocent victim, I haven't decided yet) and save all of humanity. (2) Let him live and fulfill his plan and kill all of humanity. (3) Let him live, but shut down the whole system which will prevent the weapon from detonating, but also shut down the technology which is making our world run (and will result in the unintentional deaths of many many people if shut down).

I'm rambling, probably doesn't make any sense :) thanks though.
[/quote]

Its okay. Its an interesting query. I think option 3 has potential for being a moral outlet. I would use the Vulcan Nerve Pinch to render unconscious the Guilty Party/Innocent 3rd-Party person. You should work that in somehow.m :smokey:

goldenchild17

[quote name='Veridicus' date='04 February 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1265347816' post='2051532']
Its okay. Its an interesting query. I think option 3 has potential for being a moral outlet. I would use the Vulcan Nerve Pinch to render unconscious the Guilty Party/Innocent 3rd-Party person. You should work that in somehow.m :smokey:
[/quote]

yes option 3 is where I'm going with all of it. I was just exploring the other possibilities.

It would be morally permissible to destroy the key to prevent the destruction of the entire human race even if some die in consequence to this action.

It would not be morally permissible to kill someone to destroy the key, but it would be morally permissible to restrain/detain them.