An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unborn Baby Not A Person?

tinytherese

[quote name='Winchester' date='15 February 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1266255851' post='2057578']
How base is this, though? Philosophy used to be about seeking the Truth. There were questions, of course, about whether or not there was truth, but the idea was to understand what was going on. The new way is to run from decisions. Absolutists are criticised for believing without questioning. But if one questions the new hedonism, one is shouted down.
[/quote]

It isn't about Truth anymore. That's what is difficult for people like you and me to understand. It isn't about internally consistent logic. It isn't about defensible conclusions. It isn't about rational a prioris. It is about license. License is a means to an end. And the ends are the sentiments and passions of the individual which are beyond the criticism of others.

Edited by Veridicus

• 4 years later...

There was a philosopher a few years back who argued that a baby, even after birth, isn't a person. For this reason she thought there wasn't a strong distinction between a late term abortion and after birth euthanasia. She argued that it's personhood, not where the baby is located, which is the prime consideration. She basically wanted to open the door to babies being put to sleep if it becomes apparent they have a defect or if the child doesn't have a chance at adoption (or the mother doesn't desire it). This would then have implications for anyone who doesn't have 'personhood' or loses it through illness, such as dementia. Apparently it's a similar concept many ancient cultures had regarding the practice called 'exposure' where families decided to leave a baby outside to the elements. It either got rescued, sold, died or something worse (eaten or ritualised maybe). Seems horrific to me. The philosopher apparently received a lot of hate mail, I'm not surprised!

Edited by Benedictus

I don't know how great it is to necro post but thanks for doing it in this case because I got to read Winchester's post on this page and it was awesome.

Nihil Obstat

Where did he go? At least you have the rest of us :saint:

If I recall correctly, he was extremely busy between medical school and a first child. I think we are Facebook friends still though.