An Old School Catholic Message Board

Make A Marriage Poll?

southern california guy

southern california guy

[quote name='zunshynn' date='22 January 2010 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1264211594' post='2042530']
Jesus was crucified for blasphemy. Saying he was God.

Marriage is important. But don't make your personal agenda out to be the Church's agenda.

If you wanted to make a poll about your view on annulments, why didn't you? Supposedly this is a debate over whether or not you should make a poll about marriage.
[/quote]

Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!! :duh: It's [b]NOT[/b] a poll about annulments! Annulments are just one of the debatable issues that people either agree with or disagree with -- and consider -- when choosing a marriage partner. And marriage "annulments" are a Catholic issue.

Another issues could be his/her view on abortion. Abortions can be just as hotly debated. In fact when I was in college my friends weren't particularly concerned about divorce or annulments. Few were even married. But some of them had gotten abortions. If you criticized abortion -- they felt like you were personally criticizing them! And they got VERY VERY angry!

There are a lot of potentially debatable questions you can ask.

Edited by southern california guy

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='22 January 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1264140450' post='2042121']
:numchucks: HFC it shall be!
[/quote]

[b]H[/b]oboken [b]F[/b]ried [b]C[/b]hicken!!!!

Edited by Norseman82

southern california guy

[quote name='tinytherese' date='22 January 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1264204122' post='2042474']
Jesus didn't have a problem with annulments. He had a problem with divorced people remarrying, which would be adultery. An annulment is different from a divorce. A divorce ENDS a marriage, while an annulmentin the Church is a declaration that the marriage was INVALID sacramentally. Annulments can be granted civily in some cases, but I'm not sure how that works. So if someone has received an annulment from the Church and are looking to marry again it isn't as though they are committing adultery, they were only married legally before, but were not truly married in the eyes of the Church.
[/quote]

Marriage annulments are being granted based upon Canon 1098. Canon 1098 has been nicknamed the "loose canon". It deals with issues of intent and maturity at the moment the married couple took vows. The [b]BIG[/b] problem is that the tribunal has no idea what they were thinking at the moment they took their vows. And that leads to the next issue. Was the annulment a [b]VALID ANNULMENT[/b]? Annulments have been overturned years later.

( http://www.catholicn...cns/0900437.htm )
[color="#000080"][b]Pope cautions tribunals against granting annulments too easily[/b]

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Granting marriage annulments too easily and without real cause plays into a modern form of pessimism that basically says human beings are not able to make lifelong commitments to loving another person, Pope Benedict XVI said.

"We run the risk of falling into an anthropological pessimism which, in the light of today's cultural situation, considers it almost impossible to marry," the pope said in a speech Jan. 29 to members of the Tribunal of the Roman Rota.

The tribunal mainly deals with appeals filed in marriage annulment cases.

Pope Benedict said there is still a need to deal with a problem Pope John Paul II pointed out in a 1987 speech to the Roman Rota, that of saving the church community from "the scandal of seeing the value of Christian marriage destroyed in practice by the exaggerated and almost automatic multiplication of declarations of nullity."

Pope Benedict said he agreed with Pope John Paul that too often members of church tribunals see a failed marriage and grant the annulment on the basis of an ill-defined case of "immaturity or psychic weakness."

According to canon law, the validity of a marriage requires that both the man and woman freely and publicly consent to the union and that they have the psychological capacity to assume the obligations of marriage.

Pope Benedict said tribunal judges must remember there is a difference between the full maturity and understanding that people should strive to develop over time and "canonical maturity, which is the minimum point of departure for the validity of a marriage."

In addition, he said, granting an annulment on the basis of the "psychic incapacity" of the husband or wife requires that the tribunal establish and document the fact that the person had a serious psychological or psychiatric problem at the time the wedding was celebrated.

In defending the permanent and sacramental nature of marriage, tribunals are not making life difficult for couples that want to split up, the pope said.

Defending the marriage bond gives witness to the fact that the ability to love and to pledge oneself to another forever is part of human nature, he said.

The church's insistence that it is possible for the vast majority of people to make a lasting commitment to marriage can help couples "discover the natural reality of marriage and the importance it has in the plan of salvation," Pope Benedict said.

It is true that human nature is limited and imperfect, but that does not mean that people, "exercising human freedom supported by grace," cannot make a commitment to loving each other and raising a family together, he said. [/color]

Edited by southern california guy

southern california guy

[quote name='Drew-Memphis' date='22 January 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1264201561' post='2042441']
Not that any one really cares to hear my story, but I shall share any way.

I met my current girlfriend of nearly a year on eHarmony. Believe it or not the site can actually work. The kick here is to be HONEST! Don't put what you think someone will want to hear because if you get matched and it's with someone who "matches" the persona you put up, then you're headed for heartbreak.

Much support from me, though. God Bless your journey.
[/quote]

I don't know... I tried eHarmony years ago. But I was frustrated by the limited number of profiles I could check out. I didn't get anywhere. I would prefer to be able to see all of the womens profiles and contact whoever I wanted.

southern california guy

[quote name='Socrates' date='22 January 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1264186406' post='2042296']
Interestingly, I met my fiancee on Ave Maria Singles in a similar situation. I had been on that site for quite a few years without lasting success, and had not been particularly active on it for a while. After having been kicked off Phatmass for my usual political incorrectness, I decided to post in some of their forums just for the heck of it (though I had all but given up on actually finding a woman on there). Shortly after, Bubbles sent me a pm concerning my posts, I responded, and the rest is history.
The interesting thing was at the time I wasn't really actively looking for a date, but just posting my thoughts on some things.

Not to sound like a shill for Anthony Buono, but you might want to check out that site, SoCal Guy. It's smaller than Catholic Match, but I've actually gotten more action on Ave Maria than Catholic Match. I think the bigger the site, the easier it is to get "lost in the crowd." In both sites, you can list your views on various key issues of faith and morals, as well as whether you're divorced or not, etc., and see those of the other members. You can also screen out those who do not fit your criteria on these issues.

Just don't expect instant gratification (it can take a while), and you might have to be willing to go outside your local geographical area (we were in different states).
[/quote]

I am on Ave Maria Singles. And that is a very good website! I might just try it. But I think I'd want to broach the subjects very very carefully.

[quote name='southern california guy' date='22 January 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1264214358' post='2042558']
I am on Ave Maria Singles. And that is a very good website! I might just try it. But I think I'd want to broach the subjects very very carefully.
[/quote]

Trust me, you need to broach them very very carefully here as well. I'm in your demographic, and from the posts of yours that I've read we share some similar standards, and when I've voiced them, well, let's just say that I was on my way to joining Jeremiah in the well.

Edited by Norseman82

AccountDeleted

scg - you are trying to pretend that this thread isn't all about you wanting to find a partner, but basically that is what it is. Not that there is anything wrong with that - but the Debate Table isn't the right place for it - the Lame Board probably is.

If we are Debating theology, then Jesus wasn't crucified for His views on marriage or divorce (and He had none on annulments since they didn't exist then). Quoting the Bible just shows that He was against divorce, not that they crucified Him for this.

Annulments are something you have strong opinions about, but that you don't really seem to know a lot about. There are very good and valid reasons for annulments, as well as those that shouldn't have been granted - don't tar all annulments with the same brush. The Church allows them so you can't condemn them.

Look, you are obviously a nice guy looking for a nice girl, but sometimes we can get way too desperate about anything that we want, and all that comes across then is the desperation. I would say that you might want to back off from this whole search a little - not to forget about it entirely, but to "let go, let God" a little more. No matter how much you want this thing to happen, and in exactly the way that you want it to happen - God has His own plans. Maybe spend a little more time getting to know your faith again, since you have been around the block a few times with other religions. If you become a truly holy Catholic, rather than just someone who is very judgmental of others for their choices, then this will attract holy Catholic women (which is what you want, right?) to you more than all this shopping list stuff.

Spend more time in prayer, asking God to show you His will. Go to Adoration, pray the Rosary. Participate at your church, as acts of charity rather than as just ways to find women. Become a little self-forgetful and you will be surprised how much better things look. And ask the Blessed Virgin for her intercession in your problem. But stop trying to control it all so much! One day you are going to die, whether you end up married or not, so focus on building up your treasures in heaven, and let God take of the treasures here - He knows what you need.

southern california guy

[quote name='nunsense' date='22 January 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1264219162' post='2042625']
scg - you are trying to pretend that this thread isn't all about you wanting to find a partner, but basically that is what it is. Not that there is anything wrong with that - but the Debate Table isn't the right place for it - the Lame Board probably is.
[/quote]

It's supposed to be a poll about what we are looking for value wise in a mate. If we made a poll it would give us an idea of what most Catholic men and women are looking for. The challenge is to write the questions well enough. And to think of what questions to write. I think that we can debate each issue a little. I disagree with you.

This does not belong on the Lame Board. I'm not the only one who would be interested in this sort of poll or thread. Anybody on Phatmass, who's single and looking would. But I also agree that there's nothing wrong with it.

[quote name='nunsense' date='22 January 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1264219162' post='2042625']
If we are Debating theology, then Jesus wasn't crucified for His views on marriage or divorce (and He had none on annulments since they didn't exist then). Quoting the Bible just shows that He was against divorce, not that they crucified Him for this.
[/quote]

I'm not saying that he was crucified for this single issue. I'm just saying that it was one of the many issues he disagreed with the Pharisees about.

Annulments are something you have strong opinions about, but that you don't really seem to know a lot about. There are very good and valid reasons for annulments, as well as those that shouldn't have been granted - don't tar all annulments with the same brush. The Church allows them so you can't condemn them.
[/quote]

I agree that there are valid cases for annulments (The person who marries is old and senile, mentally insane, severely mentally retarded). But not a single one of the people -- who I personally know -- that got them, fit any of these. I can't condemn them -- since that's gods power alone. But I can be critical.

Maybe the Priest should ask questions like "Do you take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife -- and do you [b]REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY[/b] mean it?

Look, you are obviously a nice guy looking for a nice girl, but sometimes we can get way too desperate about anything that we want, and all that comes across then is the desperation. I would say that you might want to back off from this whole search a little - not to forget about it entirely, but to "let go, let God" a little more. No matter how much you want this thing to happen, and in exactly the way that you want it to happen - God has His own plans. Maybe spend a little more time getting to know your faith again, since you have been around the block a few times with other religions. If you become a truly holy Catholic, rather than just someone who is very judgmental of others for their choices, then this will attract holy Catholic women (which is what you want, right?) to you more than all this shopping list stuff.
[/quote]

Well you're being pretty judgmental of me... I can also be judgmental of you <_< When you say, "..someone who is very judgmental of others for their choices.." are you just referring to my criticism of annulments. Or are you also referring to my criticism of abortion? It's the sort of thing I've had said to me concerning abortion, premarital sex, and homosexuality.

Spend more time in prayer, asking God to show you His will. Go to Adoration, pray the Rosary. Participate at your church, as acts of charity rather than as just ways to find women. Become a little self-forgetful and you will be surprised how much better things look. And ask the Blessed Virgin for her intercession in your problem. But stop trying to control it all so much! One day you are going to die, whether you end up married or not, so focus on building up your treasures in heaven, and let God take of the treasures here - He knows what you need.
[/quote]

Now here is something I do agree with! Thank you, this is good advice.

HisChildForever

[quote name='southern california guy' date='22 January 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1264221042' post='2042642']
If we made a poll it would give us an idea of what most Catholic men and women are looking for.
[/quote]

Then what?

southern california guy

Okay to get the ball rolling here are at least a few questions I can think of for this poll. Please suggest more!

And I'll try to set it up so that you can answer all or any of the questions. I think that's the way these polls work anyway.

BACKGROUND

- I would consider marrying either "never married" or "annulled".
- I would only consider "never married" (This does not include annulled)

- I would prefer to marry a virgin.
- I don't care if the person is a virgin or not.

MORAL VALUES

- I don't care about their position on abortion
- I would only consider somebody who believes abortion should be illegal
- I would only consider somebody who believes in limited abortions (But I care about their position on abortion)

- I would only consider somebody who doesn't believe in premarital sex
- I don't care what their position is on premarital sex

- I don't care what their position is on contraception
- I would only consider somebody who believes in natural birth control

FAMILY VALUES

- I am seeking somebody who believes that one of the parents should stay home and raise the kids.
- I am seeking somebody who will work and financially contribute to the family (I believe in daycare)

- I would like to have three or more kids
- I would like to have only two kids
- I would like to have only one kid
- I don't want any kids

CATHOLIC VALUES

- I don't care what sort of Mass we attend
- I'm seeking somebody who prefers Traditional Mass

southern california guy

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='22 January 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1264221554' post='2042644']
Then what?
[/quote]

I don't know.. :unsure:

[quote name='southern california guy' date='22 January 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1264221042' post='2042642']

I agree that there are valid cases for annulments (The person who marries is old and senile, mentally insane, severely mentally retarded). But not a single one of the people -- who I personally know -- that got them, fit any of these. I can't condemn them -- since that's gods power alone. But I can be critical.

Maybe the Priest should ask questions like "Do you take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife -- and do you [b]REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY[/b] mean it?

[/quote]

When it comes to whether or not someone deserved to get an annulment or not isn't up to your average Joe Catholic, but those who have studied canon law, which governs whether or not they qualify for one. Its an investigation, just like other cases brought up in court. And not as many people receive annulments as you might think. Plenty of people get turned down and become very bitter, some even leave the Church because of it. This certainly doesn't justify them abandoning the faith and this also doesn't mean that annulments should be given to everyone who asks for one, because we feel bad for them.

F e a t u r e A r t i c l e

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't It Just a Catholic Rubber-Stamp on a Divorce?

What Really Happens When Someone Petitions for an "Annulment"

By Pete Vere and Jacqueline Rapp

What does the Church do when a couple—or at least half of it—says "I do" but means "I don’t"? It seems to many people that with a little sleight of hand and a lot of money, the couple can be given a kind of do-over. But in reality, obtaining a declaration of nullity (annulment is a misnomer; the Church cannot "annul" a marriage) involves a rigorous legal procedure that gives that couple the opportunity to prove to a tribunal that a real marriage never took place.

Marriage enjoys "the favor of the law," according to canon 1060 of the Code of Canon Law. In everyday language, this means that the Church assumes that a marriage is valid unless it is proven not to be. The wisdom behind canon 1060 is clear: Since no marriage is perfect, people may have occasional doubts about their marriages. But it is one thing to allege the invalidity of a marriage; it is quite another to prove it—as a person seeking a declaration of nullity must do.

The Church cannot actually nullify a marriage, despite the language we use to talk about the process. When a couple or individual petitions for an "annulment," the tribunal process seeks to uncover whether a valid marriage—as the Church understands it—came into being when the couple exchanged their vows or whether the husband or wife did not fully consent to the proposed marriage. Through an arduous legal process, the tribunal determines whether to overturn the presumption of validity of a marriage before them.

The process is strenuous: It means putting the whole history of a failed union into words, dredging up painful memories, and doing a hard self-examination. Moreover, the whole process for many is misunderstood or shrouded in mystery. Indeed, many good Catholics flinch from seeking justifiable declarations of nullity. Yet the process exists to help those very people.

How the Process Begins

The process opens when a husband or wife contacts the local parish or tribunal and shares preliminary information about the marriage. The petitioner (the spouse who initiates the process) provides baptismal certificates, the marriage license, and a divorce decree (if there is one). The baptismal certificate gives the faith background of the couple, the marriage license establishes the age of the individuals at the time of their wedding, and a divorce decree indicates that there is little hope of reconciliation. After a lengthy and probing interview, a petition is drafted that accuses the marriage of invalidity and states why the petitioner believes it to be invalid. The tribunal understands that most Catholics are not experts in canon law. Someone will usually help the petitioner narrow down the grounds and draft the petition. That petition is then submitted to the tribunal.

The petition rises and falls on the question of consent. Marriage consent breaks down into three areas: capacity, knowledge, and will. For example, a severe alcoholic lacks the capacity to consent to marriage if his alcoholism prevents him from carrying out the natural obligations of marriage. Similarly, a marriage is invalid if a woman does not know that children come about through some sort of sexual cooperation between husband and wife. These days, though, spouses are more likely to invalidate their wedding vows by willfully excluding the possibility of children.

The Jurisdiction of the Tribunal

The judicial vicar (see "People in the Process") receives the petition. If he determines that there is no reasonable hope of reconciliation between the parties, he then decides whether his particular tribunal is competent to hear the case. There are only three possible tribunals: the one in the diocese in which the marriage was contracted, the one where the petitioner or the former spouse resides, or, lastly, the one where the most proofs are present. A proof can be anything from a witness to old love letters. In addition, the judicial vicar of the former spouse’s diocese must give his consent to the case proceeding in another tribunal. He may do so only after consulting with the respondent. These conditions prevent petitioners from "shopping" for a tribunal willing to rule in their favor. If the tribunal appealed to is not deemed competent to hear a case, its decision is automatically null.

The Respondent’s Role

If the tribunal accepts the petition, that tribunal becomes known as the court of first instance. (All cases alleging the invalidity of a sacrament are judged at least twice.) The judicial vicar always contacts the former spouse, or respondent, and invites him or her to respond within fifteen days. The fifteen-day time limit ensures that the former spouse cannot needlessly delay the petition.

The respondent may refuse to be involved, or the marriage may have taken place so long ago that the respondent can no longer be found. The process can continue, though, provided the tribunal can demonstrate a good faith effort to find and involve the respondent. A violation of the respondent’s right to participate invalidates the process. If the process might lead to a dangerous situation between the former spouses, the tribunal does all it can within the bounds of the law to protect both spouses.

The judicial vicar then issues a decree called the joinder of the issues, which weighs the preliminary information, specifies the grounds to be investigated, and identifies the party against whom the grounds are alleged. There is no such thing as a no-fault declaration of invalidity: If a marriage is invalid, it is because there is a problem with the consent of either the petitioner or the respondent or both.

The Testimony of the Spouses and Witnesses

The petitioner and the respondent are then asked to give formal testimony. This testimony is sometimes given in person, sometimes in written form, and sometimes a combination of both, depending on the procedure of the particular tribunal. In addition to covering the period the couple were married, the testimony also covers the family background of each party and the events leading up to the marriage. Because a declaration of invalidity states that a marriage was invalid from the beginning, the tribunal must ask questions about each person’s state prior to the marriage, including childhood and upbringing. Knowing what sort of marriages the parties experienced firsthand—usually those of their parents and grandparents—gives the tribunal a good indication of what the parties anticipated marriage to be.

The tribunal asks questions about prior dating relationships and the couple’s courtship, engagement, and wedding. This helps the judges determine if the couple carried unresolved issues or negative behavior patterns into their marriage.

Each party then presents witnesses and shares other proofs with the tribunal. The documentation and evidence (called the acts), along with the proceedings of the case, are then published. Both parties and their advocates are invited to review and respond to this publication of the acts. The advocates then submit a brief in which they argue in favor of the party they represent. The advocates’ briefs, along with the other acts, are given to the defender of the bond, who reviews them and composes a brief presenting reasonable arguments in favor of the marriage’s presumed validity.

The First and Second Instance Judgments

The case then proceeds to the judge(s) for first instance judgment. Affirmative or negative, the reasons for the decision are written down and carefully explained. Even if the petition receives an affirmative decision at first instance, the petitioner is not yet free to marry. The validity of the first marriage is still intact until the second instance tribunal ratifies the first decision. If second instance confirms the affirmative decision, if there are no appeals to the Roman Rota (one of two supreme courts of the Church in Rome), and if no prohibitions or restrictions are attached to the sentence, then each party is free to marry.

Prohibitions and Restrictions

Sometimes the tribunal determines that the problems that led to the failure of the marriage are still present and of a serious nature, and consequently a prohibition or restriction is placed on any future marriage. This usually means that a future marriage is delayed until certain conditions have been met by the parties concerned. These are usually temporary, but they can sometimes be permanent depending on the reason for the imposition or the disposition of the parties. Prohibitions and restrictions are not punitive; they are designed to ensure that whatever kept the first marriage from being a true marriage is addressed in order to prevent yet another invalid marriage from being contracted.

Prohibitions and restrictions come in the form of a monitum or a vetitum. A monitum is a warning of some kind—such as that one party was the victim of domestic violence or that the other is prone to alcoholism. It is a yellow light that warns a priest or deacon about previous difficulties before he officiates at the wedding of a party to an annulled marriage. The monitum is generally addressed to the individual charged with preparing the new couple for marriage.

A vetitum is more serious. The vetitum is a red light telling a priest or deacon that a new marriage may not proceed until certain conditions are met. It requires a specific action by the party to the invalid marriage—and possibly his or her intended spouse—before a new marriage can take place. If the husband, for example, is prone to serious drug addiction, a vetitum might require him to demonstrate that he has been drug free for at least a year before being allowed another attempt at marriage. Generally, these prohibitions or restrictions can be lifted only by the bishop or his judicial vicar.

The Sacrament of Marriage

It is well to remember that marriage is a sacrament when both husband and wife are baptized. Only God can dissolve a consummated sacramental marriage between two baptized persons—and he does so only through the death of one of the spouses. But the declaration of invalidity, or "annulment" process, is part of the larger teaching of the Church on marriage. Knowing what true marriage is, we can determine when it is not present and free the parties to enter into a true marital bond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete Vere is a canon lawyer and a Catholic journalist. He is the co-author of Surprised by Canon Law (Servant Books) and More Catholic Than the Pope (Our Sunday Visitor, available from Catholic Answers).

Jacqueline Rapp is a writer, a judge for the tribunal of the Archdiocese of Louisville, and an independent canonical consultant for several dioceses across the United States. She resides in Louisville, Kentucky, with her husband, Keith, and their daughters Alexandra and Sabina.

source http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2006/0605fea5.asp

AccountDeleted

scg- I think you are going to the wrong church if people there are arguing with you about abortion, divorce etc. If your church is too liberal, try another one. In San Diego, there is a Latin Mass community, very trad. Perhaps you need to get in your car and drive a little. I think there are very few people on this phorum who are going to disagree with you about issuse that the Church has ruled on - at least I hope not. So if the people you meet at your current church are advocating abortions, divorces, pre-marital sex, homosexuality etc, get out of there. I had to stop attending NO Masses here in Melbourne because of the rampant liberalism. I go to the EF now. You may need to go further afield to find a traditional parish but I know that San Diego has them. I have lived there before.

As for the annulment thing, once again, you know the wrong people. That is why I feel you are being too judgmental. Not because you object to some of the reasons you have heard, but because you are making a blanket judgement based on those observations. Annulments are allowed by the Church in her wisdom, and there are very valid reasons for allowing it. If you don't want to marry someone who has had an annulment, that is fine, but it is not your place to judge those who have had one. And you do come across as very judgmental about this. Simply say that you don't want to marry an annullee (or a non-virgin if that is what your real reason is) and leave it at that - then it is a personal preference rather than a judgment on those who have done something that is allowed by the Church for good and valid reasons (annulments).

As for me being judgmental of you - I am only telling you how you come across to me. I don't know how anyone else perceives you, but it seems to me that if your main aim is to find a partner, you might want to know how you are coming across to some people, especially if it is something that could be corrected by you to your own benefit. But free advice is worth what you pay for it.... so feel free to ignore it :cool:

Edited by nunsense

southern california guy

[quote name='nunsense' date='22 January 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1264222822' post='2042660']
scg- I think you are going to the wrong church if people there are arguing with you about abortion, divorce etc. If your church is too liberal, try another one. In San Diego, there is a Latin Mass community, very trad. Perhaps you need to get in your car and drive a little. I think there are very few people on this phorum who are going to disagree with you about issuse that the Church has ruled on - at least I hope not. So if the people you meet at your current church are advocating abortions, divorces, pre-marital sex, homosexuality etc, get out of there. I had to stop attending NO Masses here in Melbourne because of the rampant liberalism. I go to the EF now. You may need to go further afield to find a traditional parish but I know that San Diego has them. I have lived there before.

As for the annulment thing, once again, you know the wrong people. That is why I feel you are being too judgmental. Not because you object to some of the reasons you have heard, but because you are making a blanket judgement based on those observations. Annulments are allowed by the Church in her wisdom, and there are very valid reasons for allowing it. If you don't want to marry someone who has had an annulment, that is fine, but it is not your place to judge those who have had one. And you do come across as very judgmental about this. Simply say that you don't want to marry an annullee (or a non-virgin if you are that is what your real reason is) and leave it at that - then it is a personal preference rather than a judgment on those who have done something that is allowed by the Church for good and valid reasons (annulments).

As for me being judgmental of you - I am only telling you how you come across to me. I don't know how anyone else perceives you, but it seems to me that if your main aim is to find a partner, you might want to know how you are coming across to some people, especially if it is something that could be corrected by you to your own benefit. But free advice is worth what you pay for it.... so feel free to ignore it :cool:
[/quote]

I do need to check out the Latin Masses down here.

[quote name='southern california guy' date='23 January 2010 - 06:30 AM' timestamp='1264221042' post='2042642']

I'm not saying that he was crucified for this single issue. I'm just saying that it was one of the many issues he disagreed with the Pharisees about. [/quote]

First of all, when we listen to Jesus' words, we must consider how things worked at his times.
Farisees used to abandon their wives, also without reasons, and they left them without any economical, familiar support.

Then, we have to consider that every sacrament requires some conditions to be valid: for example, confession isn't valid if the person doesn't really repent.
Or marriage isn't valid if the spouses don't want to have children etc.

Edited by organwerke