An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Someone Help Me?

SstrAli

Hello dear phatmassers,

I am desiring to pray the Divine Office again. I have the full set. Although I have lost my place and don't have a little booklet/guide.

Could someone tell me what week we are on for the Divine office? One, two, three or four? That would be so helpful!

Thanks so much!

Allie

AccountDeleted

Are you using the UK 3 volume set or the US 4 volume set? In the UK set, we are on volume I, ordinary time week 2 Friday page [258] for Readings. or St Vincent, deacon and martyr optional memorial page 94*

We change to Vol II on Wed Feb 17th for Ash Wednesday and Lent

Ah, I just re-read your post. You are using the US 4 volume set - go to [url="http://www.universalis.com/"]universalis[/url] for daily updates. You are still week 2 or St Vincent but different pages.

Edited by nunsense

DiscerningSoul

I just wnet to the cathic book store today to get the 2010 guide they had the one book one but not the four book one so that will have to do for now.
and thanks for the link to the website.

SstrAli - wow we must be on the same brain wave today!

Count me in on that brainwave. Ive had starts and stops to praying the Divine Office and here I am today starting again. I`ll pray we all keep it up.

JMJ
WOw, you guys are something! I pray the Little Office, and have a terrible habit of starting and stopping, but it isn't as nearly as hard as the Divine Office!

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='22 January 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1264174955' post='2042236']
JMJ
WOw, you guys are something! I pray the Little Office, and have a terrible habit of starting and stopping, but it isn't as nearly as hard as the Divine Office!
[/quote]

Divine office is a snap once you get used to it.

If you lose your book, you can always find out where you are supposed to be at this site:

http://divineoffice.org/

[quote name='SstrAli' date='21 January 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1264118845' post='2041891']
Hello dear phatmassers,

I am desiring to pray the Divine Office again. I have the full set. Although I have lost my place and don't have a little booklet/guide.

Could someone tell me what week we are on for the Divine office? One, two, three or four? That would be so helpful!

Thanks so much!

Allie
[/quote]
+JMJ+
we are in Ordinary Time, book 3.

well, today is the memorial of St. Vincent, common of one martyr, 1707, and the propers for his day are 1315.

tomorrow is a normal day, so we'll be on Saturday, Week II, page 958. Office of Readings is on page 103.

For those with an iphone or ipod touch there is a free Divine Office app. In the app store search for universalis as they have a Catholic calendar and if you download that it comes with the Office. Very convenient and its helping me a lot.

Marie-Therese

The St. Thomas More organization also keeps a month by month guide for keeping up with the page numbers on their website, if you need it...

[url="http://www.liturgyofthehours.org/todays-pages/christian-prayer"]St. Thomas More[/url].

Bear in mind that I linked to the single volume Christian Prayer page...if you use the abbreviated Shorter Christian Prayer, there is a separate page, and also for the complete 4 volume set there is a page, all to reference the correct page numbers in the text. Make sure that you navigate to the correct page to correspond to the version you are using. :)

Tridenteen, if you PM me your email I can send you a .pdf document tutorial on the Office, if you are interested in learning to say the whole office. It is a very useful tool! I learned how to say the office easily from this document completely by myself, and I am at a point now where I don't use the St. Joseph's guide or pretty much any reference other than the general calendar at the front of the book to guide me to the day's propers. It's a snap once you get used to it, but in the beginning it can be very intimidating!! Of course, bear in mind that this is the NO Office...I, as of yet, have not learned the 1963/1963 Breviary. Anyway, the reference is available if you would like it!! (I also love the Little Office, btw. :) Do you use the Baronius version? That is the one I have, and I love it! I much prefer that translation, and that the Latin and English are side by side.)

Pax!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='23 January 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1264269260' post='2042880']
The St. Thomas More organization also keeps a month by month guide for keeping up with the page numbers on their website, if you need it...

[url="http://www.liturgyofthehours.org/todays-pages/christian-prayer"]St. Thomas More[/url].

Bear in mind that I linked to the single volume Christian Prayer page...if you use the abbreviated Shorter Christian Prayer, there is a separate page, and also for the complete 4 volume set there is a page, all to reference the correct page numbers in the text. Make sure that you navigate to the correct page to correspond to the version you are using. :)

Tridenteen, if you PM me your email I can send you a .pdf document tutorial on the Office, if you are interested in learning to say the whole office. It is a very useful tool! I learned how to say the office easily from this document completely by myself, and I am at a point now where I don't use the St. Joseph's guide or pretty much any reference other than the general calendar at the front of the book to guide me to the day's propers. It's a snap once you get used to it, but in the beginning it can be very intimidating!! Of course, bear in mind that this is the NO Office...I, as of yet, have not learned the 1963/1963 Breviary. Anyway, the reference is available if you would like it!! (I also love the Little Office, btw. :) Do you use the Baronius version? That is the one I have, and I love it! I much prefer that translation, and that the Latin and English are side by side.)

Pax!
[/quote]

Thanks, Marie-Therese for that link to the Christian Prayer page! That's the volume I have, and as easy as I thought it would be to keep up with, I have found myself falling off the Divine Office prayer bandwagon more than once. :blush:

Definitely bookmarked that site!

[quote name='vee8' date='22 January 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1264208324' post='2042508']
For those with an iphone or ipod touch there is a free Divine Office app. In the app store search for universalis as they have a Catholic calendar and if you download that it comes with the Office. Very convenient and its helping me a lot.
[/quote]

I have that one, but I didn't like how the translations are different, it kept messing me up because I have the official translations almost memorized for a lot of the office. I found another app, iBreviary, that has the official translations for just $1.99, I think. It made praying the office on my ipod much more peaceful, since I wasn't always switching between memorized versions and what was in front of me. :)

Ephrem Augustine

Our Order publishes one, saves me the confusion. Our director tells us to read it every morning even before we brush our teeth. Trouble is I usually brush my teeth after breakfast, which is already after OFfice of Readings, Morning Prayer, and Mass.