An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rosaries As Jewelry?

Drew-Memphis

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[url="http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs216.snc3/22369_243352145038_780185038_4151546_2431668_n.jpg"]Evidence 1 (pic)[/url]

[url="http://www.angelfire.com/tn/flychica/kiwi.html"]Evidence 2 (article)[/url]

[url="http://freep.com/article/20091217/FREEPHIGH08/912170329/%3Ch4%3ETROJAN-STAR%3C/h4%3E-%3Ch1%3EIs-it-fashion-or-does-it-mean-more?%3C/h1%3E"]Evidence 3 (article)[/url]

This just angers me. People wearing them as jewelry and not having a clue what they are for. I won't even wear it, being Catholic, because to me it seems like you're objectifying the sacramental and minimizing it's true value and worth.

But maybe that's just me. What say you, phatmass?

As a fashion statement, absolutely not.

That being said, I have no way of knowing if someone is wearing one as a fashion statement, or a gang symbol, or out of devotion to Our Lady. So I try to assume it's out of devotion if I see it, and I have.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='21 January 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1264050765' post='2041303']
As a fashion statement, absolutely not.

That being said, I have no way of knowing if someone is wearing one as a fashion statement, or a gang symbol, or out of devotion to Our Lady. So I try to assume it's out of devotion if I see it, and I have.
[/quote]

Absolutely, it is hard to tell and only God knows their hearts.

+JMJ+
i've worn my rosary before :idontknow: they are pretty rosaries too. but i didn't wear them as a fashion statement, usually wear them when i get interrupted in prayer.

KeenanParkerII

I'm definitely not a fan of it. People want the coolness of being Catholic without actually being devout. If she/he is actually practicing, then that's cool.

Just so ya know, rosaries are worn by a lot of rocker girls around here too. Too bad they aren't really Catolic. :weep:

goldenchild17

As a fashion statement? No. But as a devotional absolutely it's okay and possibly even recommended. A couple examples to keep in mind:

[quote]He constantly wore a Rosary around his neck as a sign that he lived in the blessed chains of Mary.[/quote]
Father Edward Saint-Omer, C.SS.,R., St. Gerard Majella (Tan Books:1999), 67

From the Secret of the Rosary by St. Alphonsus Ligouri:
[quote]
Alphonsus, King of Leon and Galicia, very much wanted all his servants to honor the Blessed Virgin by saying the Rosary. So he used to hang a large rosary on his belt and always wore it, but unfortunately never said it himself. Nevertheless his wearing it encouraged his courtiers to say the Rosary very devoutly.

One day the King fell seriously ill and when he was given up for dead he found himself, in a vision, before the judgement seat of Our Lord. Many devils were there accusing him of all the sins he had committed and Our Lord as Sovereign Judge was just about to condemn him to hell when Our Lady appeared to intercede for him. She called for a pair of scales and had his sins placed in one of the balances whereas she put the rosary that he had always worn on the other scale, together with all the Rosaries that had been said because of his example. It was found that the Rosaries weighed more than his sins.

[b]Looking at him with great kindness Our Lady said: "As a reward for this little honor that you paid me in wearing my Rosary, I have obtained a great grace for you from my Son. Your life will be spared for a few more years. See that you spend these years wisely, and do penance."[/b]

When the King regained consciousness he cried out: "Blessed be the Rosary of the Most Holy Virgin Mary, by which I have been delivered from eternal damnation!"

After he had recovered his health he spent the rest of his life in spreading devotion to the Holy Rosary and said it faithfully every day. People who love the Blessed Virgin out to follow the example of King Alphonsus and that of the saints whom I have mentioned so that they too may win other souls for the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary. They will then receive great graces on earth and eternal life later on. "They that explain me shall have life everlasting life." [1] Ecclus. 24:31[/quote]

Also from the Secret of the Rosary:

[quote]Blessed Alan relates that a man he knew had tried desperately all kinds of devotions to rid himself of the evil spirit which possessed him, but without success. [b]Finally, he thought of wearing his rosary round his neck, which eased him considerably. He discovered that whenever he took it off the devil tormented him cruelly, so he resolved to wear it night and day. This drove the evil spirit away forever because he could not bear such a terrible chain. Blessed Alan also testifies that he delivered a great number of those who were possessed by putting a rosary around their necks.
[/b]
Father Jean Amat, of the Order of St. Dominic, was giving a series of Lenten sermons in the Kingdom of Aragon one year, when a young girl was brought to him who was possessed by the devil. After he had exorcised her several times without success, [b]he put his rosary round her neck. Hardly had he done so when the girl began to scream and cry out in a fearful way, shrieking, "Take it off, take it off; these beads are tormenting me."[/b] At last, the priest, filled with pity for the girl, took his rosary off her.

The very next night, when Fr. Amat was in bed, the same devils who had possession of the girl came to him, foaming with rage and tried to seize him. But he had his rosary clasped in his hand and no efforts of theirs could wrench it from him. He beat them with it very well indeed and put them to flight, crying out, "Holy Mary, Our Lady of the Rosary, come to my help."

The next day on his way to the church, he met the poor girl, still possessed; one of the devils within her started to jeer at him, saying, "Well, brother, if you had been without your rosary, we should have made short shrift of you." Then the good Father threw his rosary round the girl's neck without more ado, saying, "By the sacred names of Jesus and Mary his holy Mother, and by the power of the holy Rosary, I command you, evil spirits, to leave the body of this girl at once." They were immediately forced to obey him, and she was delivered from them. These stories show the power of the holy Rosary in overcoming all sorts of temptations from the evil spirits and all sorts of sins, because these blessed beads of the Rosary put devils to rout.[/quote]

and: http://www.montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

[quote]To those who openly wear the rosary out of devotion and to set a good example: a hundred days' indulgence -- confirmed by our Holy Father Pope Innocent XI on 31st July 1679, and received and made public by the Archbishop of Paris on 25th September of the same year.[/quote]

Guest RobKaczmark

The thing that is most annoying to me about this is I was at Aldo Shoe store (not a religious store) and they had a jewelry section with watches, sunglasses, necklaces, etc. And within the necklaces section was a "Rosary" it wasn't even a real Rosary cause it didn't have the right amount of beads but it was meant to look like one. To me that just got me so upset. I guess to people like us, who know the power behind a Rosary, seeing it objectivefied is like nails on a black board.

Reminds me of the story concerning St. Bernadette.

This is paraphrased according to my senior memory.

On her way for the third visit to the grotto where the Blessed Mother had appeared, Bernadette was accompanied by her mother, aunt, sister and brothers. When her aunt asked if she had a Rosary, Bernadette said yes and showed her a small simple set made of wooden beads, tied together with string, the typical Rosary of the peasants of Lourdes. Her aunt said, "you can't go before the lady using those, here use these." Her aunt had given her an expensive fancy Rosary, probably purchased in Paris and made with crystal beads and gold chain. When Bernadette reached the Grotto and the Blessed Mother appeared to her, she took out the Rosary that her aunt had given her and began to pray. However, the Blessed Mother stopped her and asked, "where did you get those? " Bernadette answered, my aunt said I should use these. The Blessed Mother then said, "where are yours?" Bernadette answered, "here in my pocket." The Blessed Mother said, "use those." The aunt was kind of shocked when she saw Bernadette place her fancy set into her pocket, only to take out the simple set and used those instead.

The moral of the story, "humility in everything."

Jim

+JMJ+
[quote name='Selah' date='21 January 2010 - 05:16 AM' timestamp='1264076218' post='2041399'] or hang them up on their mirror in the car. :rolleyes:[/quote]
why? there are car rosaries designed for just that (they're one decade rosaries). i don't have one hanging from my mirror but i used to. it was a good reminder (especially when dealing with other drivers) to be holy in all things. :idontknow:

[quote]To those who openly wear the rosary out of devotion and to set a good example: a hundred days' indulgence -- confirmed by our Holy Father Pope Innocent XI on 31st July 1679, and received and made public by the Archbishop of Paris on 25th September of the same year.[/quote]
:shock: i didn't know this.

Yeah I have one in my car on the mirror. It's not an affectation and I resent anyone who would accuse me of that. I put it up there during Lent last year to pray decades of the Divine Mercy chaplet when I found myself agitated with other drivers. The crucifix hangs low enough for me to hold while I shift gears too which is nice.

Edited by Veridicus

Happy_Catholic

It annoys me to no end when people wear them for fashion or because they think they are looking "cool". With that said, I don't think it'd be sacrilidge if the beads weren't blest, however, the fact that people know them to be one of the symbols of Catholicism it then makes me wonder if they're doing it out of some form of intentional disrespect.

I have met some people of other cultures, like Islanders who wear them as some kind of devotional. I still don't like it, but only God and Our Lady know their hearts, so I won't judge, but yeah, I don't like it. I mean, they're more then capable of wearing them under their shirts.

But its a tricky one.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Lil Red' date='21 January 2010 - 12:07 PM' timestamp='1264097231' post='2041507']:shock: i didn't know this.
[/quote]

Neither did I until I read the book. I've been wearing my rope rosary for awhile now, so I don't think its a problem if people do for good reasons.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='21 January 2010 - 01:47 PM' timestamp='1264106841' post='2041736']
Neither did I until I read the book. I've been wearing my rope rosary for awhile now, so I don't think its a problem if people do for good reasons.
[/quote]+JMJ+
thanks for letting me know about it. :)