An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Purgatory In Eternity

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

I am sure I could post this in Catholic Q&A and get the official answer, but I thought it might be interesting to see what people think about it as well.

If we are granted indulgences for our "time" in Purgatory, this must mean that Purgatory is not part of Eternity because isn't the concept of "eternal" basically outside of time?

I am interested in what the Church says about this of course, but also what people think. I sometimes wonder about how time passes in Purgatory - is it the same time as we use, or is it on the "eternal clock" which runs at a different speed? :)

Ok, scholars, grab your Aquinas and Augustine and let's hear it!

[quote name='nunsense' date='17 January 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1263788238' post='2039455']
I am sure I could post this in Catholic Q&A and get the official answer, but I thought it might be interesting to see what people think about it as well.

If we are granted indulgences for our "time" in Purgatory, this must mean that Purgatory is not part of Eternity because isn't the concept of "eternal" basically outside of time?

I am interested in what the Church says about this of course, but also what people think. I sometimes wonder about how time passes in Purgatory - is it the same time as we use, or is it on the "eternal clock" which runs at a different speed? :)

[/quote]

I, too, will wait for an answer although I am expecting an answer something like - 'I do not know or I am not sure'.

[quote name='nunsense' date='18 January 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1263788238' post='2039455']

[/quote]
Furthermore, I don't think purgatory can exist outside of time or in eternity because purgatory effects change, and nothing can change in eternity. Time is needed to effect change.

[quote name='XIX' date='18 January 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1263791566' post='2039494']
Furthermore, I don't think purgatory can exist outside of time or in eternity because purgatory effects change, and nothing can change in eternity. Time is needed to effect change.
[/quote]

Heaven exists outside of time. There was a war in heaven. That's a change.

[quote name='XIX' date='18 January 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1263791566' post='2039494']
[/quote]

...........therefore, how long do you think you will be in purgatory?

[quote name='reyb' date='18 January 2010 - 06:38 AM' timestamp='1263818335' post='2039591']
...........therefore, how long do you think you will be in purgatory?
[/quote]

I don't believe time works quite the same as it does on earth.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='18 January 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1263830903' post='2039655']
I don't believe time works quite the same as it does on earth.
[/quote]

....but still, there is this element of time. So, how long do you think you will be in purgatory?

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='18 January 2010 - 09:11 AM' timestamp='1263823885' post='2039615']
If I die and find myself in purgatory I'll be like, "YES!! I made it!!!!".
[/quote]

You can enjoy. But still, how long do you think you will be in purgatory?

[quote name='nunsense' date='19 January 2010 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1263906256' post='2040125']
I asked God if I could do my Purgatory here on Earth. Do you think that was a wise move?? :)
[/quote]

If that is what God has planned for you then yeah, good call!

[quote name='hot stuff' date='18 January 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1263791774' post='2039499']
Heaven exists outside of time. There was a war in heaven. That's a change.
[/quote]

I would reply that the war in heaven is both ongoing and completed at the same time and for all eternity. For, it was Christ's sacrifice that defeated sin and death, and it is Christ's sacrifice which is offered as liturgy (which the liturgy of the Catholic Church imitates) for all eternity in heaven. Heaven is the liturgy which the liturgy of the Church joins with. This liturgy is offered for all eternity. This liturgy is the conquering force in the war.