An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian Witchcraft?

Happy_Catholic

Sternhauser

[quote name='Mariecarew' date='15 March 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1268691704' post='2073656']
Greetings,

My God is the God of humanity. My Goddess is the mother of my God. The Bible is a great book to read but one must remember it is a fictional story filled with paranormal activity. When interpreted with an open mind. The Bible teaches us not to follow the barbaric teachings of a God but to use our own free will and humanity while we follow our own clear conscience. To explain my affiliation with Christianity I must say that those who read the Bible with an open mind know that Jesus Christ was a liberal who loved everyone. The only thing Christ was against was the inhumanities he saw in his short life time. Jesus Christ was one of the first noted humanitarians in human history but others have also done great things to benefit our Earth and society human beings like, Gandhi, Buddha (Who was before Christ) Chief Seattle, The Dali Lama, Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoln, John Denver, Michael Landon, Princess Diana, Mother Theresa, John and Robert Kennedy and so many more. I hope this was insightful.
[/quote]

Jesus was God. Chief Seattle and Mother Teresa were Catholics who believed Jesus was God. The would have recoiled at being called humanitarians, people who believe "the doctrines of men," "deceiving themselves."

Abraham Lincoln? He was no humanitarian.

I'm smelling a bit of the "Arian" in "humanitarian." Heresy. Nothing older than heresy. Nothing older than wanting to water down the Truth.

~Sternhauser

I read this thread with much sadness, albeit somewhat mollified to read Sacred Music Man's gentle chastisement. As incredibly incorrect as mariecarew's beliefs are, this could have been used as a moment for evangelization. There is the quote 'for those who believe no explanation is necessary, for those who don't none is possible', but there are times that respectful and compassionate evangelizing turns into conversion. If you'd used those incredible, theological minds you've been equipped with for that purpose, this might have been such an instance. Instead your derision drove her away.

Don't you realize that not everyone has the gift of evangelization? Most of you who have posted on this thread DO. There are many of us out there who really know our faith but cannot spout either Scriptural quotes or passages from Canon Law or the CCC at the drop of a dime. You should use your gift for good and not insult. Think of how you could be, as Mother Teresa once said, a pencil in the hand of the Lord! You may be justifying your post right now, but this isn't the only time some of you've treated those who have other beliefs with nastiness. Threads like this abound on here.

One example: I've been studying the East: Catholic and Orthodox. Although I've long known about the theological differences, I've only now taken the time to research them. Their points are incredibly valid even if, in your minds, faulty. I come here to read previous threads and as soon as I read the superiority, lack of charity, and judgmental and insulting tone I stop reading. The info posted here may be legally correct, but no one wants to be treated poorly, even if they're wrong. And do you REALLY think the Orthodox will come on here and say 'oops, my bad, I guess I'll return to the one, true Church'? What do you REALLY think you're accomplishing by such behavior?? The bully mentality? I'll look better if I insult everyone else?

This forum is public, with many guests coming here for information, some of them thinking of converting and just need a charitable 'voice' online to help them work through some of their theological issues. They read what some of you write and leave (I know this because I've been told this in PMs here and on other boards). The Catholic Church may be correct but that doesn't mean you have to treat with derision those with other beliefs. (And don't get me started on how some of you devour your prey. I've seen you turn on fellow Catholics who are going through difficulties with a vengeance.) You judge them but don't know what sort of spiritual battle they've faced and are facing. Based on your responses, it's like you see them as some sort of threat. And it makes me thoroughly ashamed to be Catholic to read them.

You may think you're funny to say that you're giving up being nice for Lent, or crossing off words in their post 'fixing it', or snarkily and with superior attitude treating this person like they're an idiot (and those in other threads)... but eventually you will have to given an accounting to every rotten, mean spirited word you've spouted to those our Lord has brought to you.

I pray you have a blessed rest of your Lent. :pray:

(I'm not watching this topic. In fact, as of today I stopped watching all topics on here. Too many angry people. I'm off the board for at least the rest of Lent.)

Nihil Obstat

Maybe what I said was wrong. Maybe it was- I can fully accept that. The concept of witchcraft strikes an extremely powerful chord in me. I am absolutely repulsed by it, and what it stands for. I'm not going to justify my comment, and I didn't even read anyone else's particularly closely, but it is healthy to recognize that for me, and probably some other people here, witchcraft is one issue in particular that will inspire revulsion and complete condemnation, far more-so than any other topics we tend to address on Phatmass.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='HisChild' date='16 March 2010 - 11:31 AM' timestamp='1268753480' post='2073989']
... but eventually you will have to give an accounting to every rotten, mean spirited word you've spouted to those our Lord has brought to you.[/quote]
I especially liked this part. Thanks. I need reminders like this. Was also thinking that this applies to attitudes harbored inside with consent, not just words and actions. :sadder:

[i]Panie zmiluj sie nad nami. Jezu ufam tobie.[/i]

Found these maxims of St. Alphonsus de Ligouri online just now (from [url="http://www.goodcatholicbooks.org/alphonsus/maxims-perfection.html"]here[/url])...

1. To desire ardently to increase in the love of Jesus Christ.

2. Often to make acts of love towards Jesus Christ. Immediately on waking, and before going to sleep, to make an act of love, seeking always to unite your own will to the will of Jesus Christ.

3. Often to meditate on his Passion.

4. Always to ask Jesus Christ for his love.

5. To communicate often, and many times in the day to make spiritual Communions.

6. Often to visit the Most Holy Sacrament.

7. Every morning to receive from the hands of Jesus Christ himself your own cross.

8. To desire Paradise and death, in order to be able to love Jesus Christ perfectly and for all eternity.

9. Often to speak of the love of Jesus Christ.

10. To accept contradictions for the sake of Jesus Christ.

11. To rejoice in the happiness of God.

12. To do that which is most pleasing to Jesus Christ, and not to refuse him anything that is agreeable to him.

13. To desire and to endeavor that all should love Jesus Christ.

14. To pray always for sinners and for the souls in purgatory.

15. To drive from your heart every affection that does not belong to Jesus Christ.

16. Always to have recourse to the most holy Mary, that she may obtain for us the love of Jesus Christ.

17. To honor Mary in order to please Jesus Christ.

18. To seek to please Jesus Christ in all your actions.

19. To offer yourself to Jesus Christ to suffer any pain for his love.

20 To be always determined to die rather than commit a willful venial sin.

21. To suffer crosses patiently, saying, "Thus it pleases Jesus Christ."

22. To renounce your own pleasures for the love of Jesus Christ.

23. To pray as much as possible.

24. To practice all the mortifications that obedience permits.

25. To do all your spiritual exercises as if it were for the last time.

26. To persevere in good works in the time of aridity.

27. Not to do nor yet to leave undone anything through human respect.

28. Not to complain in sickness.

29. To love solitude, to be able to converse alone with Jesus Christ.

30. To drive away melancholy.

37. Often to recommend yourself to those persons who love Jesus Christ.

32. In temptation, to have recourse to Jesus crucified, and to Mary in her sorrows.

33. To trust entirely in the Passion of Jesus Christ.

34. After committing a fault, not to be discouraged, but to repent and resolve to amend.

35. To do good to those who do evil.

36. To speak well of all, and to excuse the intention when you cannot defend the action.

37. To help your neighbor as much as you can.

38. Neither to say nor to do anything that might vex him. And if you have been wanting in charity, to ask his pardon and speak kindly to him.

39. Always to speak with mildness and in a low tone.

40. To offer to Jesus Christ all the contempt and persecution that you meet with.

41. To look upon [religious] Superiors as the representatives of Jesus Christ.

42. To obey without answering and without repugnance, and not to seek your own satisfaction in anything.

43. To like the lowest employments.

44. To like the poorest things.

45. Not to speak either good or evil of yourself.

46. To humble yourself even towards inferiors.

47. Not to excuse yourself when you are reproved.

48. Not to defend yourself when found fault with.

49. To be silent when you are disquieted.

50. Always to renew your determination of becoming a saint, saying, "My Jesus, I desire to be all Yours, and You must be all mine."

Saint Therese

Unless I missed something I didn't see anyone in this thread make a personal attack. If someone is not prepared to have their statements commented on and debated then I don't see why they would post in the debate forum. And since this is a Catholic web site anyone posting comments saying things that are diametrically opposed to the Catholic faith should expect an intense debate. And I don't think such an intense debate is necessarily uncharitable. It WOULD be uncharitable for us as Catholics NOT to tell someone when they were in error, especially about something as serious as the topic of this thread. Although we should be welcoming to those with different beliefs I think its important to remember that we also have a solemn duty tl defend the Faith.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='16 March 2010 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1268757162' post='2074007']
Unless I missed something I didn't see anyone in this thread make a personal attack. If someone is not prepared to have their statements commented on and debated then I don't see why they would post in the debate forum. And since this is a Catholic web site anyone posting comments saying things that are diametrically opposed to the Catholic faith should expect an intense debate. And I don't think such an intense debate is necessarily uncharitable. It WOULD be uncharitable for us as Catholics NOT to tell someone when they were in error, especially about something as serious as the topic of this thread. Although we should be welcoming to those with different beliefs I think its important to remember that we also have a solemn duty tl defend the Faith.
[/quote]
Well like I said, my comment (There are not many things more disgusting than real witchcraft...) can definitely be construed as uncharitable. Won't speak for anyone else though.

Nihil Obstat

Just in case Mariecarew comes back, I would like to say that while I despise and have no respect for the principles of witchcraft, that doesn't mean I have no respect for her as a person. I apologize if I gave the opposite impression, as it was unintended.

+JMJ+
[quote name='Mariecarew' date='15 March 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1268721090' post='2073886']
Jesus Worshipped [s]the earth[/s] God and encouraged others to do so.[/quote]
fixed.

[quote name='Mariecarew' date='15 March 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1268721090' post='2073886']Due to the fact I am causing so much distress here I shall leave this group.
[/quote]
awww, don't leave so soon!

[quote name='Mariecarew' date='15 March 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1268721090' post='2073886']
The interpretations of the Bible are only the ultimate word for some. Everybody is entitled to their own conclusions on what the Bible means. This is a 2000 year old document that cannot be verified by the original authors who wrote it.[/quote]
+JMJ+
well, if that's the criteria we're going by, then we'd better toss out anything by Virgil (earliest document written 350 after his death), Livy (500 years), Horace (900 years), most of Plato (1300 years), and Euripides (1600 years).

"Not only are the biblical manuscripts that we have [i]older[/i] than those for classical authors, we have in sheer numbers far more manuscripts from which to work. Some are whole books of the Bible, others fragments of just a few words, but there are literally thousands of manuscripts in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac, and other languages. This means that we can be sure we have an authentic text, and we can work from it with confidence." -The Essential Catholic Survival Guide.

God bless.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='16 March 2010 - 02:11 PM' timestamp='1268763078' post='2074041']
For once I was charitable. :saint:
[/quote]

+1 to cancel out the -1.

Marie,

Please stay so you can be tolerant and open to our beliefs: We worship the Truth here.

If anyone here has made a point that you can refute than please do so.

May the peace of the Living God be upon you.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Mariecarew' date='16 March 2010 - 02:31 AM' timestamp='1268721090' post='2073886']
Due to the fact I am causing so much distress here I shall leave this group.

Love, Peace and Blessings,

Reverend Marie Carew

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">
[/quote]
Ms. Carew,
I'm sorry if any of us have offended you.
That said, please stick around so we might be able to straighten out your viewpoints on relativism and all that. It will help you in the long run, promise.

A good evening to you.