An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian Witchcraft?

Happy_Catholic

goldenchild17

[quote]Opinions are only right to those who speak them and to those who follow them as their own truth. Look for your own truth in the definition of the faith you chose to follow.[/quote]

Truth is truth no matter who speaks it and no matter who listens (or doesn't listen). Whatever is noble, pure, lovely etc. and so forth is good and true to everyone. Whether one wants to accept that truth is the question. A truth cannot have multiple choices which oppose itself, otherwise it loses the concept and importance of being a truth.

cmotherofpirl

To quote Scriptures as well.

Galatians 5:
9 A little leaven corrupteth the whole lump.
10 I have confidence in you in the Lord: that you will not be of another mind: but he that troubleth you, shall bear the judgment, whosoever he be.
11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? Then is the scandal of the cross made void.
12 I would they were even cut off, who trouble you.
13 For you, brethren, have been called unto liberty: only make not liberty an occasion to the flesh, but by charity of the spirit serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
15 But if you bite and devour one another; take heed you be not consumed one of another.
16 I say then, walk in the spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the spirit: and the spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary one to another: so that you do not the things that you would.
18 But if you are led by the spirit, you are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury,
20 Idolatry, [b]witchcrafts[/b], enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,
21 Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity,
23 Mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's, have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Saint Therese

[quote]Opinions are only right to those who speak them and to those who followthem as their own truth. Look for your own truth in the definition ofthe faith you chose to follow
[/quote]

God is Truth. The standard for truth is God, who is Truth itself, not one's individual preferences. The devil was a liar from the beginning, the father of lies.

Notice in the above post witchcraft is ranked the same as murder.

Edited by Saint Therese

Own truth? what is that supposed to mean? Things that contradict each other can't be true. Everybody can't be right. It's not logical. Don't you believe in objective truth?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Mariecarew' date='15 March 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1268691704' post='2073656']
The Holy Bible teaches us to condemn witchcraft, yet In the American dictionary Witchcraft is defined as being the practice of sorcery or magic. The definition is in the dictionary and cannot be disputed. So, with that knowledge wouldn't you agree that parting the red sea, turning water into wine, breaking one loaf of bread into several new loaves, sending plagues and curses to destroy entire lands, healing telepathically with the touch of a hand and making burning bushes speak, are all feats of paranormal activity and supernatural magic? In essence, they are feats of witchcraft and so this is how the Christian Witch was born.[/quote]

God worked through Moses. Moses did not have any power of his own. The Pharaoh's priests mirrored, or tried to mirror, these miracles by using demonic power. Moses was a humble man and knew that the miracles came from God; he was only the messenger, concerned for his people. The priests, however, were wicked men who believed that their power (demonic power) came from within. In short, Moses did not use sorcery or magic. As already stated, he was God's messenger. God sent the plagues upon Egypt, not Moses. As for the New Testament, the Apostles were able to drive out demons only by the power of Christ. In regards to "breaking one loaf of bread into several new loaves" that was Jesus Christ being, well, Jesus Christ - God.

Vincent Vega

I wish I were a rich man so I could spend hours picking apart those posts.
Alas, it is not God's will. Thus, I will go back to my toils and leave the laughable heresies for another person or another day.

SaintOfVirtue

Polytheism condemned:
Exodus 20:2-5, "I, the Lord, am your God, who brought you out of the
land of Egypt, that place of slavery. You shall have no other gods
besides me. You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of
anything in the sky above or on the earth below; or in the waters
beneath the earth; you shall not bow down before them of worship them."

Proof Jesus WAS NOT a witch, wizard, or a practitioner of magic:
Luke 11:14-19, "He [Jesus] was driving out a demon [that was] mute, and
when the demon had gone out, the mute person spoke and the crowds where
amazed. Some of them said, "By the power of Beelzebul, the prince of
demons, He drives out demons." Others, to test Him, asked Him for a
sign from heaven. But He knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every
kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste and house will fall
against house. And if satan is divided against himself how will his
kingdom stand? For you say that it is by Beelzebul that I drive out
demons. If I, then, drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your own
people drive them out? Therefore they will be your judges."

Witchcraft condemned:
Deuteronomy 18:9-12, "When you come into the land which the Lord, your
God, is giving you, you shall not learn to imitate the abominations of
the people there. Let there not be found among you anyone who
immolates his son or daughter in the fire, nor a fortune teller,
soothsyer, sharmer, diviner, or caster of spells, nor one who consults
ghosts and spirits, or seeks oracles from the dead. Anyone who does
such things is an abomination to the Lord, and because of such
abominations the Lord, your God, is driving these nations out of your
way."

Isaiah 6:20, "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil, who
change darkness into light, and light into darkness, who change bitter
into sweet, and sweet into bitter!"

"The most insidious weapon the devil uses is to use our own ideas of
what is good, or worse, our own ideas of what is love, against us." -My
parish priest

"Even the devil quotes scripture to his own end." -Shakespeare

'nough said I am right and you are wrong end of story. The truth is
not relative or changing it is constant throughout all ages.

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='13 January 2010 - 04:14 AM' timestamp='1263370497' post='2036008']
In my daily internet rummages I came upon this. I was rather surprised that there could be people who think that these two things can co-exist, even in a twisted liberal form.

http://www.witches-tutorial.com/paths/cw.html

http://arganteswell.tripod.com/id1.html

Seems its just more cafeteria styled picking at religion.
[/quote]
Those people are idiots.

[quote]
(Luke 10:27) You shall love the Lord, your God.[s] (who ever that God may be.)[/s] with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your intelligence; and your neighbor you shall love your neighbor as you love yourself.[/quote]

Fixed that.

Edited by vee8

It is because of these competing interpretations of Scripture and Tradition that an authoritative Church exists in the first place. How silly.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='15 March 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1268707418' post='2073792']
It is because of these competing interpretations of Scripture and Tradition that an authoritative Church exists in the first place. How silly.
[/quote]
Uh everything is truth duh.

tinytherese

I remember reading an argument against relativism. The author said that the statement, "There is no truth" is self refuting, that it would be like saying "I alwa spell correctly" or something like that.

The same author once discussed it with someone and put it to him this way. Either there is a God or there isn't. It can't be both. One of my Protestant friends asked if we Catholics believe in Mary's perpetual virginity and I said yes. Immediately, she praised how wonderful it was that there were such different beliefs in Christianity. I didn't have the guts to point out to her though that presuming that Mary existed, she either remained a virgin all of her life or she didn't. One of us had to be wrong.

On EWTN there was this one friar who explained objective truth in this way...He had a puppy in his arms and said that there was a puppy in his arms. That statement was true of course. Then he handed it over to a little girl and said that the puppy was in his arms. Obviously, that wasn't true. He said, "I think that the puppy is in my arms." Despite what he thought, that didn't change the fact that the puppy was not in his arms and he pointed this out. Finally, he said, "I feel that the puppy is in my arms." Well, no matter what he "felt" the puppy still wasn't in his arms. Then he pointed this out to the children as well.

tinytherese

Oh and this I just couldn't resist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g
:lol:

Edited by tinytherese