An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama Praises Man Who Says God Is Homophobic

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Winchester' date='12 January 2010 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1263323070' post='2035499']
If you piss off the troll, is that merely a point, or is it the win?
[/quote]

Do not wrestle with monsters least you become one.
(see story; Beauty and the Beast - the original version)

[quote name='Didacus' date='12 January 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1263323217' post='2035501']
Do not wrestle with monsters [s]least [/s]lest you become one.
(see story; Beauty and the Beast - the original version)
[/quote]
[img]http://neet.dieplz.net/src/1244574183389.jpg[/img]

Edited by Winchester

This guy in the article doesn't have much of a vocabulary, eh?

"Sinful, homophobic, bigot, sinful bigot sinful, forgiveness pain sinful, bigot homophobic sinful, blah blah blah blah sinful homophobic bigot.

[quote name='ZeweAeternus' date='12 January 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1263322186' post='2035480']
Allow me to rephrase in a way that I hope is not infinitesimally semantically questionable so that you may be able to provide a legitimate response, then.

I think it's a bit absurd to condemn someone to an eternity of agony just for something as arbitrary as their sexual preferences [i]and choices regarding them[/i].

Two consenting adults, no one is hurt, it's just sex. Hardly seems like something I'd eternally condemn someone for.
[/quote]

Its called actually learning about the catholic church and not just making up stuff to try and show your superior liberal thinking. If your not going to bother researching what a religon teaches, then why bother commenting on it, cuase in the end , you will be wrong.

[quote name='Hilde' date='12 January 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1263327298' post='2035539']
Homophobic. I don't really like that word. It's used too much and looses it's power.
[/quote]
It's a dumb word. There should be a steep fine for using it in a serious manner.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='ZeweAeternus' date='12 January 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1263322186' post='2035480']
Allow me to rephrase in a way that I hope is not infinitesimally semantically questionable so that you may be able to provide a legitimate response, then.

I think it's a bit absurd to condemn someone to an eternity of agony just for something as arbitrary as their sexual preferences [i]and choices regarding them[/i].

Two consenting adults, no one is hurt, it's just sex. Hardly seems like something I'd eternally condemn someone for.
[/quote]
Sex is never "just" sex.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 January 2010 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1263326692' post='2035531']
This guy in the article doesn't have much of a vocabulary, eh?

"Sinful, homophobic, bigot, sinful bigot sinful, forgiveness pain sinful, bigot homophobic sinful, blah blah blah blah sinful homophobic bigot.
[/quote]
Sounds like a good pious "liberal Catholic" - he just needs to throw in the words "community," "social justice," and "sexism" more.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='12 January 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1263338910' post='2035644']
Sex is never "just" sex.
[/quote]

:clapping:

Sex is meant to be a foreshadowing of the bliss of Heaven and a representation of the flow of love through the Trinity. Father[husband] loves the Son [wife] Son returns the Father's love. Through this pure, open, mutual giving and receiving of love comes a third, the Holy Spirit [children]. This is why marriage is a sacrament-the act of sex within the marriage is highly valued by the Catholic church. When sex is set apart from openness to children, it's just mutual masturbation. There's nothing pure and sacramental about it.

HisChildForever

[quote name='muzikal4life' date='12 January 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1263340595' post='2035662']
Sex is meant to be a foreshadowing of the bliss of Heaven and a representation of the flow of love through the Trinity. Father[husband] loves the Son [wife] Son returns the Father's love. Through this pure, open, mutual giving and receiving of love comes a third, the Holy Spirit [children].[/quote]

I have never heard this kind of a description before. To be honest, I find this explanation to be a little out there.

[quote] When sex is set apart from openness to children, it's just mutual masturbation.[/quote]

Technically this is incorrect. Sex is still sex, with or without contraception. However, sex with contraception is gravely immoral and reduces the beauty of sex into an activity of selfish pleasure.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='12 January 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1263341497' post='2035669']
I have never heard this kind of a description before. To be honest, I find this explanation to be a little out there.[/quote]
I've actually heard it from a number of solid sources. It's not saying that married sex is the same thing as the life of the Holy Trinity (nor that the interior life of the Trinity is in any way sexual), but that proper married love reflects in a way the love found in the Trinity.
God's love is complete self-giving, and so should ours be.

[quote]Technically this is incorrect. Sex is still sex, with or without contraception. However, sex with contraception is gravely immoral and reduces the beauty of sex into an activity of selfish pleasure.
[/quote]
In other words, morally, it is little different than masturbation.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='12 January 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1263341497' post='2035669']
I have never heard this kind of a description before. To be honest, I find this explanation to be a little out there.

This is the Theology of the Body as taught by JPII. Christopher West has a couple simplified versions of the Pope's teachings on the subject. Theology of the Body for Beginners is a really good read. :)

Technically this is incorrect. Sex is still sex, with or without contraception. However, sex with contraception is gravely immoral and [u]reduces the beauty of sex into an activity of selfish pleasure.[/u]
[/quote]

You're right, it's not completely accurate but the point was fairly clear.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Socrates' date='12 January 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1263342150' post='2035684']
It's not saying that married sex is the same thing as the life of the Holy Trinity (nor that the interior life of the Trinity is in any way sexual), but that proper married love reflects in a way the love found in the Trinity.
God's love is complete self-giving, and so should ours be.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. Her explanation of it seemed to suggest a kind of sexual relationship amongst the members of the Trinity, which is what threw me off.