An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Metaphorical And What Is Literal?

Guest DanielNicholas

[quote name='havok579257' date='12 January 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1263328041' post='2035545']
And yet how many athiests believe that nothing combined with nothing and created something. That is something science shows as impossible. So pot.. kettle.. black.
[/quote]
I've never heard an atheist say "nothing combined with nothing and created something" - that's exactly the sort of misrepresentation I frequently hear from Christians

[quote name='havok579257' date='12 January 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1263328041' post='2035545']
So pot.. kettle.. black.
[/quote]
I assume you're referring to your first two sentences, rather than my post.

[quote name='philbo' date='13 January 2010 - 05:56 AM' timestamp='1263380176' post='2036072']
I've never heard an atheist say "nothing combined with nothing and created something" - that's exactly the sort of misrepresentation I frequently hear from Christians
[/quote]
Anecdotal evidence.

[quote name='Winchester' date='13 January 2010 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1263389837' post='2036091']
Anecdotal evidence.
[/quote]
True, but it happens. That it has happened again here after I've only been around for a couple of days, does suggest that it's a fairly prevalent misconception, though.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 January 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1263394017' post='2036120']
So you'd present that before the Big Bang there was more than nothing?
[/quote]
I have no idea what was before the Big Bang - "nothing combined with nothing to create something" is not one of only two choices, though.

However, I'm comfortable with the idea of saying "I don't know" without inventing something infinitely more impossible to try and explain the bits I don't know.

[quote name='philbo' date='13 January 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1263396446' post='2036143']
I have no idea what was before the Big Bang - "nothing combined with nothing to create something" is not one of only two choices, though.

However, I'm comfortable with the idea of saying "I don't know" without inventing something infinitely more impossible to try and explain the bits I don't know.
[/quote]
So you haven't the slightest idea, but our belief is beyond stupidity?

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='DanielNicholas' date='12 January 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1263276441' post='2035256']
My main point is Noahs ark and the global flood.

If you read the Noahs ark story, it goes into great detail on almost all the details.
Exactly how big the ark was (450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high).
What kind of animals Noah ate.
What mountain the boat came to rest on (Mount Ararat in Turkey).
How long Noah had to load the animals onto the boat.

All these little insignificant details that the author seems to have gone into so much effort, to prove that such an occurance happened?

And don't get into an arguement if it happened or not. You're supossed to interpret this 'metaphorically'.
[url="http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html"]http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html[/url]
[/quote]

We are?

Luke 17:22-30

[i]Then he said to his disciples, "The days will come when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. There will be those who will say to you, 'Look, there he is,' (or) 'Look, here he is.' Do not go off, do not run in pursuit. For just as lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be (in his day). But first he must suffer greatly and be rejected by this generation. [b] As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be in the days of the Son of Man; they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage up to the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. [/b]Similarly, as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating, drinking, buying, selling, planting, building; on the day when Lot left Sodom, fire and brimstone rained from the sky to destroy them all. So it will be on the day the Son of Man is revealed.[/i]

Jesus believed in the flood and Noah's ark. Since Jesus believed in it, I would think we should too.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='12 January 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1263311420' post='2035365']
Yep. Its rarely what we actually believe that atheists argue about, its always what [i]they think[/i] we believe :)
[/quote]

"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is of course, quite a different thing."

----Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 January 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1263401937' post='2036185']
So you haven't the slightest idea, but our belief is beyond stupidity?
[/quote]
Even you're at it now - making up stuff that I simply haven't said. Would you like to point to where I have asserted your belief is beyond stupidity?

I haven't the slightest idea what came before the Big Bang... yet I fail to see why that is any kind of evidence towards there being some kind of metaphysical creator who worries about whether mankind uses condoms or not.

[quote name='philbo' date='13 January 2010 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1263403842' post='2036197']
Even you're at it now - making up stuff that I simply haven't said. Would you like to point to where I have asserted your belief is beyond stupidity?

I haven't the slightest idea what came before the Big Bang... yet I fail to see why that is any kind of evidence towards there being some kind of metaphysical creator who worries about whether mankind uses condoms or not.
[/quote]
I won't go so far as to say that you've actually asserted that, but it's pretty clear what you think of theism.

[quote name='philbo' date='13 January 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1263392304' post='2036109']
True, but it happens. That it has happened again here after I've only been around for a couple of days, does suggest that it's a fairly prevalent misconception, though.
[/quote]
I'm trying to show you how to act. I am taking you under my wing.

And stop complaining that your tone is being interpreted and that we understand the logical conclusions of your statements and positions and proceed to them rather than wearying ourselves with your google-fu.