An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Wear Identifying Items Or Clothing?

AccountDeleted

i get *really* excited when i notice someone wearing catholic jewelry or clothing or like a rosary or bumper sticker on my car. i have lots of retreat shirts i wear and i have a miraculous medal keychain on my backpack :) right now i am wearing a rosary bracelet made out of twine.

[quote name='pvtmiller' date='15 January 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1263556923' post='2037660']
Do i have to wear it around my neck or can i put in the bottom of my bandoleer? cause my dog tags keep on breaking and i put one on my boot laces and the other one i attached to my belt loop.
[/quote]

The scapular medal can be worn in a convenient place even out of sight and pinned to an undergarment. I keep breaking the brown cloth scapular too.

Barb

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='OraProMe' date='13 January 2010 - 07:04 AM' timestamp='1263384248' post='2036079']
I used to keep a holy card of St. Michael in the clear part of my wallet (usually where I.D goes) and it once started an interesting discussion with an atheist friend when I went to pay for my share of the bill :unsure:
[/quote]
That's a great idea!

[quote name='zunshynn' date='14 January 2010 - 10:45 PM' timestamp='1263527152' post='2037445']
yes, or if it's something that can't be burned, buried.
[/quote]
Does this also go for Advent candles? Or prayer candles--the kind you get at the grocery store?

[quote name='loveletslive' date='15 January 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1263586835' post='2037841']
and i have a miraculous medal keychain on my backpack :)
[/quote]
:) This just gives me warm fuzzies and reminds me of high school. Sorry if you're not in high school, but 'backpack' just made me think of that...

I think it depends on the intention one has with their Catholic apparel or jewelry. It's great to want to represent the faith, and so it doesn't seem wrong to wear Catholic things when one wants to show, "Catholic pride," for lack of a better term. But if wearing that shirt or medal makes one feel superior because of their Catholicism, then perhaps they shouldn't be wearing them. Of course there'd be nothing wrong with wearing a medal or crucifix as a reminder of Christ.

I'm a necklace junkie and love layering them, so I like it when I work a religious one in there. I find as I get older, though, people have been supplying my necklace habit with dressier crosses. I love these, but feel like I can't wear them all the time because I feel like I'm saying, "Look at my cross!" But I'd love a crucifix and medal to wear. I'd likely be wearing them under my shirt, even if I didn't have flashy intentions. That's mainly because years ago someone close to me who isn't a church-goer yelled at me on my way out the door to, "Go ahead and stay there all afternoon so the elders can see what a good little girl you are!" Now 20-something Me is still telling High School Me to get over that remark and move on. :mellow:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='14 January 2010 - 01:20 AM' timestamp='1263446411' post='2036784']
My grandfather used to make rosaries with plastic beads and on a strong cord. They were great.

I've only ever broken one rosary and the beads are sitting in a box, I use the crucifixes and put them around the house over the door ways. Mind you, I've been wearing scapulas for over 10 years now and I've gone through about 3, and I just tend to keep them in a box until I can figure out what to do with them!

Is it true we're suppose to burn religious items that are no longer functional?
[/quote]

You can burn them or bury them.

In the convent when we had no longer usable religious items (like fallen apart scapulars and habits, broken statues, etc.) we would burn the fabric and bury everything else. :)

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='15 January 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1263595779' post='2037938']
Does this also go for Advent candles? Or prayer candles--the kind you get at the grocery store?
[/quote]

Yeah if they're blessed they should be burned all the way, generally speaking. At the monastery we sent the glass containers back to the company and they would melt the rest of the wax down to be used again, but I don't think it's necessary to bury the leftover glass from a blessed candle, because the blessing is conferred on the candle itself.

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='15 January 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1263594074' post='2037921']
The scapular medal can be worn in a convenient place even out of sight and pinned to an undergarment. I keep breaking the brown cloth scapular too.

Barb
[/quote]
Thanks Barb

ThePenciledOne

Almost all my clothes are from a religious clothing store called c28.

Given it is a Protestant leaning store it still has worth because the clothes are loud and very thought provoking and just plain kool.

Back in public school, it was fun since it created a stir, but I think it really should not matter whether you do or don't its the intention that lies underneath. My own mentality is that I am not afraid to proclaim where my intentions are coming from.

I wear this tshirt sometimes but I don't think people get it.

[IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/Bishop.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Veridicus