An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Wear Identifying Items Or Clothing?

AccountDeleted

Archaeology cat

Oh, I've broken my share of Rosaries, too, nunsense. My son broke the Crucifix off the Rosary I got at my Confirmation - I need to get it fixed. My sister's dog got my wooden 1-decade Rosary. I used to carry around my other 1-decade Rosary in my pocket, until it broke. I kept my other one in its case, but the case came open in transit on our last trip to the US & back, and it is broken now, too. I just need to get some needlenose pliers for that one, I think. I crocheted a Rosary for my son so he can't break it. :lol:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='13 January 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1263379556' post='2036065']
Oh, I've broken my share of Rosaries, too, nunsense. My son broke the Crucifix off the Rosary I got at my Confirmation - I need to get it fixed. My sister's dog got my wooden 1-decade Rosary. I used to carry around my other 1-decade Rosary in my pocket, until it broke. I kept my other one in its case, but the case came open in transit on our last trip to the US & back, and it is broken now, too. I just need to get some needlenose pliers for that one, I think. I crocheted a Rosary for my son so he can't break it. :lol:
[/quote]

That's probably what I need too, a crocheted Rosary - maybe I should try making one! I am not a great hand at crochet but I have made a few pairs of slippers.

I hate it when I break something I love, especially religious items that have been blessed. When I repaired my Rosary last time, I didn't know if I was supposed to get it blessed again or not, and have never gotten around to it!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='nunsense' date='13 January 2010 - 10:49 AM' timestamp='1263379794' post='2036069']
That's probably what I need too, a crocheted Rosary - maybe I should try making one! I am not a great hand at crochet but I have made a few pairs of slippers.

I hate it when I break something I love, especially religious items that have been blessed. When I repaired my Rosary last time, I didn't know if I was supposed to get it blessed again or not, and have never gotten around to it!
[/quote]
I know what you mean. I'm not sure that any of my Rosaries were actually blessed or not (my parents got them for me, and they aren't Catholic, so wouldn't automatically think of that).

I used to keep a holy card of St. Michael in the clear part of my wallet (usually where I.D goes) and it once started an interesting discussion with an atheist friend when I went to pay for my share of the bill :unsure:

HarmonyServant

I wear a medal of Our Lady of Guadalupe. (Hey, do my kerchiefs and headscarves count? I'm old-school and wear headcoverings most of the time.;) )

My grandmother used to work at a large department store comparable to Dillard's. She worked the jewelry counter, and this was when large costume jewelry was fashionable. She used to give me big boxes of the ones that were broken. I was a tinkerer. I used to convert the broken jewelry to rosaries. I never told my grandmother that's what I was doing with them because she was a devout Southern Baptist.

Happy_Catholic

My grandfather used to make rosaries with plastic beads and on a strong cord. They were great.

I've only ever broken one rosary and the beads are sitting in a box, I use the crucifixes and put them around the house over the door ways. Mind you, I've been wearing scapulas for over 10 years now and I've gone through about 3, and I just tend to keep them in a box until I can figure out what to do with them!

Is it true we're suppose to burn religious items that are no longer functional?

I have gone through 3 scapulars while over here in Iraq. My body armor and dog tags keep on rubbing them while they are all sweaty and they fall apart.

[quote name='nunsense' date='12 January 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1263337695' post='2035626']
That's a very interesting point by both you and alpha but how does that equate with always spreading the gospel (and when necessary using words)? I am not an evangelist by nature (don't like trying to talk about my faith) but I do wear a crucifix for my own devotion and also because I am proud to be identified as a Catholic. When asked about my crucifix, I do answer whatever questions are asked. I don't represent the Church in any way, but someone who isn't a Catholic probably assumes that every Catholic represents the Church - as a Catholic (if you get my point?). I just wonder what the line is. I am not disagreeing, just thinking and pondering.
[/quote]

For starters, the quote spreading the gospel and when necessary using words is not an exact quote by St. Francis, but it is a paraphrase of something he told his brother Franciscans which had a little bit of a different meaning to it. Also, St. Francis and his brothers didn't even own Catholic paraphernalia as they were poor, so I'm sure he didn't mean "wear crucifixes and Catholic t-shirts."

It isn't wrong to wear a Catholic t-shirt and that's not at all what I'm trying to say... I wear Catholic stuff because I'm Catholic... not because I'm trying to make everyone else notice that I'm Catholic. If they notice and start talking to me, great! I may have just found a cool conversation! That isn't the purpose of wearing the clothing though.

I wear a crucifix to remind myself of the passion. I don't always wear a crucifix but I always carry one in my pocket along with a rosary. What we SHOULDN'T do is not wear something because we don't want people to know we are Catholic (unless its for the purpose of preserving our life, which could actually be a topic for debate).

Happy_Catholic

[quote name='pvtmiller' date='14 January 2010 - 07:13 AM' timestamp='1263471220' post='2036880']
I have gone through 3 scapulars while over here in Iraq. My body armor and dog tags keep on rubbing them while they are all sweaty and they fall apart.
[/quote]

I've never seen them, but I heard you can get a medal with the scapula imprinted on it, and instructions given by our Lady states those in the military can wear that version for the reason you described and probably a few others, and it will carry the same spiritual protection as the brown cloth scapula.

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='14 January 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1263517430' post='2037300']
I've never seen them, but I heard you can get a medal with the scapula imprinted on it, and instructions given by our Lady states those in the military can wear that version for the reason you described and probably a few others, and it will carry the same spiritual protection as the brown cloth scapula.
[/quote]
I've heard the same. :)

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='13 January 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1263446411' post='2036784']
My grandfather used to make rosaries with plastic beads and on a strong cord. They were great.

I've only ever broken one rosary and the beads are sitting in a box, I use the crucifixes and put them around the house over the door ways. Mind you, I've been wearing scapulas for over 10 years now and I've gone through about 3, and I just tend to keep them in a box until I can figure out what to do with them!

Is it true we're suppose to burn religious items that are no longer functional?
[/quote]

yes, or if it's something that can't be burned, buried.

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='14 January 2654 - 09:03 PM' timestamp='1263517430' post='2037300']
[/quote]
Do i have to wear it around my neck or can i put in the bottom of my bandoleer? cause my dog tags keep on breaking and i put one on my boot laces and the other one i attached to my belt loop.