An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Wear Identifying Items Or Clothing?

AccountDeleted

Marie-Therese

I do wear a brown scapular with a blessed St. Benedict medal that I sewed onto it, but that is underneath my clothing so it is not visible.

I do wear a small plain cross and a Miraculous Medal around my neck at all times, and I wear a rosary bracelet, but unless you really look close most people would never know what it was. My Miraculous Medal is probably the most visible Catholic item I wear.

Otherwise, I don't think I have anything else that outwardly identifies me as Catholic. Unless you empty my pockets. LOL Then that is a different story. My pockets have more holy cards in them than some bookstores. I carry a full arsenal of protection at all times. :)

[quote name='Moosey' date='11 January 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1263250005' post='2035050']
I've flipped people off in traffic and I have Catholic bumper stickers :mellow:
[/quote]

That's why I have nothing Christian on my car. :mellow: I figure people would only take notice if I did something like that.

I don't really wear jewelry, other than a medal of the Blessed Sacrament... I don't think many people identify me as Catholic because of it though, because not many people recognize the Blessed Sacrament. I certainly hope Catholics would recognize it though. I have been asked about it once or twice by non-Catholics. And I tuck it under my shirt when I'm at work... I haven't been told that I can't wear something around my neck, but we probably are not supposed to , and it would likely get in the way, not to mention look sort of funny over my tie.

Other than that, I do have a watch with the Holy Family on the face. I have had people comment on that, mostly because everyone seems to think it's the Wizard of Oz. Don't ask me why. And I have a Tau Cross and a Miraculous Medal on my keychain. All of those things are more for myself though then for "evangelization purposes". I mean, it's great if it does that, but that's not why I wear them.

I agree with Alpha

If you're wearing it for devotional that's great, but unless your clergy or religious I don't think you should wear it in order to be recognized unless at a specific event (for instance an inter-religious event where you represent Catholics or something).

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Slappo' date='13 January 2010 - 08:42 AM' timestamp='1263332527' post='2035572']
I agree with Alpha

If you're wearing it for devotional that's great, but unless your clergy or religious I don't think you should wear it in order to be recognized unless at a specific event (for instance an inter-religious event where you represent Catholics or something).
[/quote]

That's a very interesting point by both you and alpha but how does that equate with always spreading the gospel (and when necessary using words)? I am not an evangelist by nature (don't like trying to talk about my faith) but I do wear a crucifix for my own devotion and also because I am proud to be identified as a Catholic. When asked about my crucifix, I do answer whatever questions are asked. I don't represent the Church in any way, but someone who isn't a Catholic probably assumes that every Catholic represents the Church - as a Catholic (if you get my point?). I just wonder what the line is. I am not disagreeing, just thinking and pondering.

Definitely nothing wrong with wearing Catholic t-shirts, jewelry, etc. (as well as Catholic bumperstickers and such).
Obviously, nobody is required to do so, and this is a matter of personal choice, but I think it's good thing to give public witness to one's Catholic identity, particularly where such an identity might not necessarily be approved of. I like the Phatmass and Lionheart Apparel tees myself.
It seems a lot of us (and I include myself here) are too often afraid to do anything which might publicly identify us as Catholic (wearing Catholic clothing, saying grace before meals in restaurants, etc.)
This, imo, has more to do with cowardice than true modesty. In the past, people would risk death to proclaim the Gospel. Today, we're afraid to let anyone know we're Catholic because someone might laugh at us, or not approve.

Personally, I like it when I see other people wearing Catholic (or even just Christian) tees such in public places. It's good to know there are other Christians out there not afraid to publicly acknowledge their Faith.

little_miss_late

[quote name='nunsense' date='12 January 2010 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1263337695' post='2035626']
That's a very interesting point by both you and alpha but how does that equate with always spreading the gospel (and when necessary using words)? I am not an evangelist by nature (don't like trying to talk about my faith) but I do wear a crucifix for my own devotion and also because I am proud to be identified as a Catholic. When asked about my crucifix, I do answer whatever questions are asked. I don't represent the Church in any way, but someone who isn't a Catholic probably assumes that every Catholic represents the Church - as a Catholic (if you get my point?). I just wonder what the line is. I am not disagreeing, just thinking and pondering.
[/quote]

The Catholics who were most instrumental in getting me to open up to the faith are not the type to "parade" their faith with jewelry, giant bumper stickers, etc. But they're not afraid to be Catholic in public either. In my opinion, the "when necessary use words" quote means that it should be our actions that speak. There are ways to identify yourself as a Catholic in public that speak "as actions" (like saying grace at a restaurant, or talking to someone about a devotional item that you are wearing) and there are other ways of visually announcing your faith that are basically the equivalent of yelling in a stranger's face, even if you're not using words.

Many of the examples of "identifying items" in the original post are not optional for the people who are so identifying themselves. Jewish men are not wearing yarmulkes so that other people will know that they are Jewish any more than a Catholic would order fish on a Friday just so that other people will know that they are Catholic. It's not quite the same thing as a Christian T-shirt.

I have always been interested in religion and in people's faith practices, and would not be hostile or aggressive to someone because they were easily recognizable as part of a group-- but I'll be totally honest. Before I had a desire to convert, the quickest way for me to decide NOT to talk about faith with a person was if that person was wearing very large, obviously meant-to-be-seen Christian jewelry. Especially if it looked expensive. There's a difference between wanting to make a good Christian impression on someone, and wanting to make sure that everyone's first impression of you is that you are a Christian.

edit: nunsense, I did not quote your post because I think that you personally are overly concerned with how you appear to others, or that you are "yelling in a stranger's face." Your post was just the one that got me thinking. I hope my reply is general enough not to cause offense.

Edited by little_miss_late

KeenanParkerII

[quote]I wear a four-way cross and a St. Bernard medal on the same chain, at all times, even in the pool. It clinks like dog tags. I think the last time I had them off was 2 years ago when I was in the hospital. I also wear a rosary ring on my watch that people ask about all the time. I have a large Catholic Women's League patch on my backpack. It has a 3-4" high gold cross with Catholic Women's League at the top, and For God and Canada on the bottom. People on the bus used to ask about it. [/quote]

You are ridiculously cool. AND you used to wear chucks too? :cool:

[quote name='nunsense' date='11 January 2010 - 08:11 AM' timestamp='1263211908' post='2034598']
This idea came up on another thread about clothing for religious, but I wondered what others thought about non-religious Catholics wearing some identifying item of clothing or jewellery. I thought about doing a poll but didn't know how to word it very well.

Some Muslims (especially women) can be identified by their clothing, Sikhs by their turbans, and some Jews wear a yarmulke or hat or wear their hair in a certain way that is readily identifiable as Jewish (Orthodox or Conservative, I am not sure which), and I have seen some women wearing a star of David necklace.

I personally wear a crucifix all the time, but I wondered if anyone else wore something that made them seem "Catholic". Or does anyone think that to be too easily identifiable as a Catholic would open one up to hostility or aggression, especially in some places?

I am just curious.
[/quote]
I keep a rosary in my pocket and a picture of my family just in case i get captured.

Happy_Catholic

Crucifix, miraculous medal and St. Benedict medal 24/7/365 I also wear a scapula, of course, I can't wear that in the shower. I wear them as instructed by Our Lady through the Chastisement prophecies.

If people see it, well, good for them, but I don't wear it as a giant public sign that I'm Catholic. And down here, honestly, people are really secular. Everyone who has ever asked about it, thought it was just some nice jewerlly and asked where they could get something similar. I told them "The local Catholic church", once people find it's religious they clam up and don't wanna know.

What I strongly dislike is these people who wear rosary beads as necklaces, esp. if its as a fashion thing. There was a story about people stealing rosaries from Catholic cemeteries for use as jewellery. I mean, if its not blest I dont' care, but if they've taken it from a Catholic friend or relative, or worse, stolen it, they're committing an act of sacrilege.

Edited by Happy_Catholic

AccountDeleted

I had a lady at the tram stop look at my crucifix and tell me she loved it, and then she said, "You know I believe in Him too!" and then we started talking about God! She wasn't Catholic but she was the sweetest lady and she prays every night to God - such a sweetheart.

Archaeology cat

I sometimes wear a bracelet with images of Mary and Jesus on it, but my son tends to steal it from me. I used to have one that had various Saints on it, but my son broke that one. (Toddlers and jewellery don't mix). I keep intending to get a crucifix to wear, but I think I'll wait until it gets warmer, because I've broken two necklace chains lately by them getting caught on my scarf. The bracelets are a nice reminder for me when I see them, and I constantly play with necklaces, which also serves as a reminder for me.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='13 January 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1263378586' post='2036054']
I sometimes wear a bracelet with images of Mary and Jesus on it, but my son tends to steal it from me. I used to have one that had various Saints on it, but my son broke that one. (Toddlers and jewellery don't mix). I keep intending to get a crucifix to wear, but I think I'll wait until it gets warmer, because I've broken two necklace chains lately by them getting caught on my scarf. The bracelets are a nice reminder for me when I see them, and I constantly play with necklaces, which also serves as a reminder for me.
[/quote]

I have broken so many Rosaries that I have lost count. I used to wear them at my belt, and they would get caught on something when I stood up, even the really big ones, and I was always repairing them! I bought one with the double metal loops but even managed to break that one. Now I keep my Rosary in a little bag in my pocket and carry it with me everywhere, so I do understand broken jewelry.

For some reason though I haven't broken my crucifix chain, although I have lost a couple of corpuses (corpi??) from the Cross - probably because I can only afford the really cheap ones. One day my (agnostic) brother found a little Jesus body on his floor, and started exclaiming that He had been resurrected!! Of course my brother is insane - but he does make me laugh. I took the corpus and keep it with my other religious items that I love. I now wear another very cheap crucifix, but I do like it.