An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Wear Identifying Items Or Clothing?

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

This idea came up on another thread about clothing for religious, but I wondered what others thought about non-religious Catholics wearing some identifying item of clothing or jewellery. I thought about doing a poll but didn't know how to word it very well.

Some Muslims (especially women) can be identified by their clothing, Sikhs by their turbans, and some Jews wear a yarmulke or hat or wear their hair in a certain way that is readily identifiable as Jewish (Orthodox or Conservative, I am not sure which), and I have seen some women wearing a star of David necklace.

I personally wear a crucifix all the time, but I wondered if anyone else wore something that made them seem "Catholic". Or does anyone think that to be too easily identifiable as a Catholic would open one up to hostility or aggression, especially in some places?

I am just curious.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='philbo' date='12 January 2010 - 12:35 AM' timestamp='1263216940' post='2034626']
I definitely think Catholics should wear clothing.
[/quote]

:lol_pound:

[quote name='nunsense' date='11 January 2010 - 07:11 AM' timestamp='1263211908' post='2034598']
This idea came up on another thread about clothing for religious, but I wondered what others thought about non-religious Catholics wearing some identifying item of clothing or jewellery. I thought about doing a poll but didn't know how to word it very well.

Some Muslims (especially women) can be identified by their clothing, Sikhs by their turbans, and some Jews wear a yarmulke or hat or wear their hair in a certain way that is readily identifiable as Jewish (Orthodox or Conservative, I am not sure which), and I have seen some women wearing a star of David necklace.

I personally wear a crucifix all the time, but I wondered if anyone else wore something that made them seem "Catholic". Or does anyone think that to be too easily identifiable as a Catholic would open one up to hostility or aggression, especially in some places?

I am just curious.
[/quote]

I think a lay Catholic who acts it doesn't need to wear a trinket or special piece of clothing to identify him. Christ said "By this all men will that know you are my disciples, if you love one another."

But as a "bonus," a good Catholic might very well get awarded something like this:

[img]http://www.scheisshausluck.com/images/REDTRIANGLE.jpg[/img]

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

HisChildForever

I wear a St. Benedict Crucifix 24/7. Had it blessed and everything. :smokey:

[url="http://www.catholiccompany.com/catholic-gifts/2003721/Sterling-Silver-St-Benedict-Crucifix-20-inch-Chain/?aid=178"]Here[/url] is what it looks like. The chain it came with was a bit too long so I replaced that chain with one I already owned.

Edited by HisChildForever

I am at Notre Dame and I wear as much "Catholic" clothing as I can, whether it be crucifixes, medals, shirts! The same way a married couples wears a "ring" to show their commitment, we should also wear something to show "our" commitment to Holy Mother Church.

Esto Vir!

I wear a bracelet like this, only it has images of Jesus and Our Lady. A friend bought it for me as a gift when we went on retreat. :) I also wear a simple cross, but I don't think you'd notice either item unless you were sitting next to me.

If you want to wear something which would incidentally identify you as a Catholic, wear it as a personal devotion and who cares what other people think. If your sole purpose is to show others that you are a Catholic, that's a matter of prudence between you and your spiritual director. I think it'd be better to wear "normal" clothes than to constantly parade. As I said, though, if it is out of true devotion I have no problem with it.

I wear a four-way cross and a St. Bernard medal on the same chain, at all times, even in the pool. It clinks like dog tags. I think the last time I had them off was 2 years ago when I was in the hospital. I also wear a rosary ring on my watch that people ask about all the time. I have a large Catholic Women's League patch on my backpack. It has a 3-4" high gold cross with Catholic Women's League at the top, and For God and Canada on the bottom. People on the bus used to ask about it.

I don't know about the aggression, unless one were wearing a rosary; it has become a fashion accessory for partygoers any more and a gang symbol.

I personally don't wear anything, but I never wear any sort of jewelry, even a watch.

Just don't get a DUI while you're wearing something that identifies you as Catholic.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='11 January 2010 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1263249091' post='2035046']
Just don't get a DUI while your wearing something that identifies you as Catholic.
[/quote]
I've flipped people off in traffic and I have Catholic bumper stickers :mellow:

[quote]I've flipped people off in traffic and I have Catholic bumper stickers [/quote]

...and you drove promptly to confesstion! ^_^

[quote name='Selah' date='11 January 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1263250111' post='2035051']
...and you drove promptly to confesstion! ^_^
[/quote]

Heh, not promptly but that week, certainly.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

I wear my Scapular wich has a St.Benedict Medal,Miraculous medal,crucifix and St. Philomena medal hanging from it :D ...Protection.

Sometimes I wear it out. I also wear my Jesus shirt once in a while [url="http://shop.kerusso.com/p-1379-hope.aspx"]Here[/url]