An Old School Catholic Message Board

God And Guns

Resurrexi

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='06 January 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1262804058' post='2030968']
Jesus could control nature. He wouldn't have needed to resort to killing anyone. He just would have had the wind blow them over.
[/quote]
That's not the scenario.

[quote name='Winchester' date='06 January 2010 - 03:42 PM' timestamp='1262810547' post='2031051']
That's not the scenario.
[/quote]

This. In the scenario, I said that shooting the unjust aggressor would be absolutely necessary to defend the Theotokos. That would mean, that, for the purposes of this scenario, we are assuming that it was not the Father's will that Christ use His supernatural powers in this circumstance.

ThePenciledOne

I think this is going to end up in some gross assumptions on God.

I think we should remember the event's leading up to the Passion and how Our Lord did not resist at all or even in any part of his life did he resort to violence. (except maybe that time in clearing the temple)

So, really to some degree this question is somewhat useless.

Happy_Catholic

I don't think Jesus would shoot anyone. He'd probably use conflict resolution to dissolve the situation.

If He had to shoot: This is the Son of God we're talking about, He'd be one heck of a shot, and probably drop the bugger by taking out one of his knees. That way the aggressor can still live.

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='06 January 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1262813671' post='2031095']
I think this is going to end up in some gross assumptions on God.

I think we should remember the event's leading up to the Passion and how Our Lord did not resist at all or even in any part of his life did he resort to violence. (except maybe that time in clearing the temple)
[/quote]

Do we really know that Christ never used legitimate violence except at the chasing of the money-changers out of the temple? "But there are also many other things which Jesus did which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written." (John 21:25)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='07 January 2010 - 10:03 AM' timestamp='1262819016' post='2031198']
I refuse to speculate.
[/quote]

You are very wise, very wise indeed.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='06 January 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1262819016' post='2031198']
I refuse to speculate.
[/quote]
Same here but the question compelled me to vote no for inexplicable reasons. I renounce that question in the name of Rufio.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='06 January 2010 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1262817850' post='2031179']
Do we really know that Christ never used legitimate violence except at the chasing of the money-changers out of the temple? "But there are also many other things which Jesus did which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written." (John 21:25)
[/quote]

Eh. Although violence can be justified, it wasn't his mission. I think that he would have allowed Theotokos the grace of martyrdom or stopped Theotokos' death in some other way. The cleansing of the temple was in line with his mission, which was to fulfill OT prophecies and purify the faith of the people. Jesus wasn't here to fight temporal battles.

"Guns and religion, religion and guns
I cling to 'em both, apologizing to none
They both can save you when trouble comes
Guns and religion, religion and guns . . ."

http://www.myspace.com/austincunninghammusic

[quote name='Socrates' date='06 January 2010 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1262823034' post='2031239']
"Guns and religion, religion and guns
I cling to 'em both, apologizing to none
They both can save you when trouble comes
Guns and religion, religion and guns . . ."

[url="http://www.myspace.com/austincunninghammusic"]http://www.myspace.c...cunninghammusic[/url]
[/quote]

Isn't that what the people of Pennsylvania do?

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='06 January 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1262823092' post='2031240']
Isn't that what the people of Pennsylvania do?
[/quote]
And Texas.
Listen to the song (currently second on the playlist).

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Socrates' date='06 January 2010 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1262823166' post='2031241']
And Texas.
Listen to the song (currently second on the playlist).
[/quote]

will do... I was referencing Obama's campaign visit to (Pittsburgh?). He said that poor uneducated people cling to guns and religion.
wait maybe it was just guns. that sounds more right.

Edited by aalpha1989

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='06 January 2010 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1262823247' post='2031242']
will do... I was referencing Obama's campaign visit to (Pittsburgh?). He said that poor uneducated people cling to guns and religion.
wait maybe it was just guns. that sounds more right.
[/quote]
It was "cling to their guns and religion." The song references this at the beginning:
“I heard the president say campaigning that day / I couldn’t believe what I heard him say / he said people in small towns get bitter and cling / to guns or religion like that’s a dumb, backwards thing.”

(Obama actually made the comment in San Diego or someplace, talking about people in small-town Pennsylvania.)

Edited by Socrates