An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Culture Of Death Continues To March

Happy_Catholic

Fidei Defensor

Murder is defined as the unjust taking of a human life. If you take your own life, that doesn't fall under that definition since you are choosing death and are not having your life taken from you by someone else.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='02 January 2010 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1262456449' post='2028635']
Murder is defined as the unjust taking of a human life. If you take your own life, that doesn't fall under that definition since you are choosing death and are not having your life taken from you by someone else.
[/quote]

One does not have the right to take his own life.

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='02 January 2010 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1262452208' post='2028596']
People who attempt suicide and fail are taken to the hospital...
[/quote]

What if the person who attempts suicide violently resists being taken to the hospital? Do we shoot him? There's an ironic way to deal with suicide. Obviously, we should encourage such people to get help. I just reject the use of coercive force to do it.

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='02 January 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1262456556' post='2028636']
One does not have the right to take his own life.
[/quote]

Who has the right to use force to stop him?

HisChildForever

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='02 January 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1262457192' post='2028640']
What if the person who attempts suicide violently resists being taken to the hospital? Do we shoot him? There's an ironic way to deal with suicide. Obviously, we should encourage such people to get help. I just reject the use of coercive force to do it.
[/quote]

When a person attempts suicide and is found in time, he or she is not strong enough to fight. :(

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='02 January 2010 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1262457269' post='2028642']
Who has the right to use force to stop him?
[/quote]

I'm not an anarchist, so I think that civil authorities have the right to stop him.

King's Rook's Pawn

We should preach Truth to encourage people seeking assisted suicide to value their lives. If we lived in a society that valued life people would freely choose to embrace it. "Mercy-killing" would be seen as unthinkable, as it should be.

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='02 January 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1262457404' post='2028643']
When a person attempts suicide and is found in time, he or she is not strong enough to fight. :([/quote]

Well, I guess you're talking about people who are found on the bathroom floor next to a bloody razor blade or an empty bottle of pills. I can hardly blame family members who rush such a person to the hospital. I was more thinking along the lines of assisted suicides of cancer patients, etc.