An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Culture Of Death Continues To March

Happy_Catholic

Happy_Catholic

http://www.lifenews.com/bio3027.html

Absolutely disgusting.

A "requirement" for assisted suicide or euthanasia or whatever these dolts want to call it is a indication of a seriously defected support mechanisms.

Whenever I hear about cases of people with cancer or some other terminal ill and how they wish to die because it hurts, I really have to wonder about the paliative care they're receiving, if any at all.

We need to be very concerned about this, I mean, look at the mess abortion turned out to be, those in the 60s and 70s were spouting comments about "safe, legal and RARE" and that it woudl only be used late term for the dire of maternal health risk or "foetal defects incompatiable with life". And its now 2010 and what do we have? Partial Birth Abortion (though people claim it has been banned - how do you prove its not still going on, dig through the Mills' rubbish bins?) We have abortions late in pregnancy for cleft palates!! 9 out of 10 foeti found to have Downs Syndrome are aborted! 1.2 million abortions in America, on average, every year.

Seriously! This subject really makes me mad as a hatter! Abortion can be done in a vacumn, the woman is the only one who has any real connection to the foetus, there's no real relationship development with anyone external to the foetus. But assisted suicide, this is what we think is "loving" for someone we claim to care for? This is how we show mercy? By murdering someone?

[quote name='Varg' date='02 January 2010 - 06:23 AM' timestamp='1262431426' post='2028541']
Euthanisia isn't murder.
[/quote]

Yes, it is.

[quote name='Varg' date='02 January 2010 - 06:31 AM' timestamp='1262431888' post='2028544']
No, it isn't.
[/quote]

Euthanasia is indeed murder.

King's Rook's Pawn

Euthanasia is murder if the person being euthanized has not chosen to be euthanized. However, if they explicitly chose it, then it is not murder but suicide. I think the former should be illegal. The latter I consider extremely immoral, but it shouldn't be illegal because the person is harming himself. Therefore, it should be treated as a moral and a psychological issue rather than as a legal issue.

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='02 January 2010 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1262437777' post='2028554']
Euthanasia is murder if the person being euthanized has not chosen to be euthanized.
[/quote]
I agree

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='02 January 2010 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1262437777' post='2028554']
However, if they explicitly chose it, then it is not murder but suicide.
[/quote]

Suicide is a type of murder.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='02 January 2010 - 08:56 AM' timestamp='1262440603' post='2028560']
[/quote]
Then why is a "muder-suicide" not a "murder-murder"?

Edited by Varg

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='02 January 2010 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1262437777' post='2028554']
Euthanasia is murder if the person being euthanized has not chosen to be euthanized. However, if they explicitly chose it, then it is not murder but suicide. I think the former should be illegal. The latter I consider extremely immoral, but it shouldn't be illegal because the person is harming himself. Therefore, it should be treated as a moral and a psychological issue rather than as a legal issue.
[/quote]

they shoot horses
choosing not to prolong suffering, [b]IE:[/b] such as chemotherapy treatment could extend your life another six months (if your lucky*) but it will come with the cost of nasty side effects and harsh pain is not suicide.
i know and care of people like this and say to her -it is okay, I support you , no matter what [font="arial"][size="2"][color="black"]"right or wrong, I'm on your side."

[/color][/size][/font]

HisChildForever

[quote name='Varg' date='02 January 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1262442526' post='2028566']
[/quote]

"Murder-suicide" is self-murder, whereas "murder-murder" is being murdered by another human being.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Varg' date='02 January 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1262442526' post='2028566']
[/quote]

Suicide is murder of the self.

HisChildForever

Interestingly, for my Developmental Psych class I wrote a paper based on the article [i]Emotion in the Second Half of Life[/i] by Laura L. Carstensen and Susan Turk Charles. Many people who argue for euthanasia focus on more than the terminally ill, but on the elderly in general. In any event, the following quotes I took directly from my paper:

"...there is greater prominence and improvement in the regulation of emotions at the end of life; any decline is caused by cognitive and physical ailments induced by very old age."

"Since older individuals know they have limited time their social behavior is spent on emotionally valuable relationships as opposed to frivolous ones. The authors actually found, after researching terminally ill patients, that these individuals do not see the end of their lives as morbid; rather, they have a greater appreciation for life and understand the importance of having emotionally focused relationships. This issue is critical because it dispels the myth that old age is marked by loneliness and depression."

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='02 January 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1262440603' post='2028560']
[/quote]

If you insist on defining murder in that peculiar way, I would have to argue that not all forms of murder should be illegal. I do not defend suicide. I think it's a horrible mistake. However, I do not think locking people up for it is the solution.

HisChildForever

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='02 January 2010 - 12:06 PM' timestamp='1262451988' post='2028592']
If you insist on defining murder in that peculiar way, I would have to argue that not all forms of murder should be illegal. I do not defend suicide. I think it's a horrible mistake. However, I do not think locking people up for it is the solution.
[/quote]

People who attempt suicide and fail are taken to the hospital and, God willing they are saved, receive counseling and other treatments. They are not sent to jail or prison.