An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The End Near

infinitelord1

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='ZeweInAeternum' date='11 January 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1263198214' post='2034533']
Doesn't the whole prophecy thing contradict the concept of free will?
[/quote]

No!

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='ZeweInAeternum' date='11 January 2010 - 03:23 AM' timestamp='1263198214' post='2034533']
[/quote]

No, God just knows what we are freely going to do in advance. He's Eternal and not subject to time.

[quote name='ZeweInAeternum' date='11 January 2010 - 03:23 AM' timestamp='1263198214' post='2034533']
[/quote]

You "know" that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. Does that mean you are causing the sun to rise?

~Sternhauser

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnjkb4q6FKU"]My link[/url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnjkb4q6FKU

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='11 January 2010 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1263263262' post='2035130']
You "know" that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. Does that mean you are causing the sun to rise?

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Guest ZeweAeternus

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='11 January 2010 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1263251543' post='2035062']
No, God just knows what we are freely going to do in advance. He's Eternal and not subject to time.
[/quote]

There's so many logical fallacies in so few words here, I honestly don't even know where to begin addressing them. It would take a novel. So let's go point-by-point, post-by-post.

Eternal and not subject to time, alright then - so he can see the future and knows what is going to happen. That suggests that the future is predetermined and there is no way to change it. If we truly had free will, this would not be possible, because the future could be absolutely anything at all. The world could have ended in a giant nuclear holocaust, at any given point in time during the Cold War. Just because it didn't doesn't mean that it couldn't have or that it was destined not to, it just means that it didn't happen. Nuclear armageddon is still a possibility, every second of every day. Were that to happen, there would be no chance of the prophesied end of the world - humanity would wipe itself out in minutes. But you seem to be telling me that that won't happen - it can't happen. And so I ask you, do you see nothing wrong with widespread massive nuclear armament?