An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The End Near

infinitelord1

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 January 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1262918105' post='2032170']
Lol, when I was in Florida I, for the first time, saw a license plate border that said "In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned." I thought "Wow, what an arrogant jerk you sound like!"
[/quote]

I was estimating a barn rehab in Ky. the owner had that plate frame on his truck. He asked me was I ready for the rapture, I smiled and answered no as its not a catholic teaching I am not interested. It turned out he was not open minded and asked me to leave his property. I should have been a little more discreet but in Ky. you have a wealth of catholic hating nuts who are all verbal about how bad the church is and I was fed up as the last time I was in that area I was told by a prospect that he grew up " beleiving that the pope ate children, but now I know its not true, our preacher just wanted to keep us away from the church as it is evil and he wanted us to get to heaven"

ed

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='09 January 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1263065988' post='2033327']
I was estimating a barn rehab in Ky. the owner had that plate frame on his truck. He asked me was I ready for the rapture, I smiled and answered no as its not a catholic teaching I am not interested. It turned out he was not open minded and asked me to leave his property. I should have been a little more discreet but in Ky. you have a wealth of catholic hating nuts who are all verbal about how bad the church is and I was fed up as the last time I was in that area I was told by a prospect that he grew up " beleiving that the pope ate children, but now I know its not true, our preacher just wanted to keep us away from the church as it is evil and he wanted us to get to heaven"

ed
[/quote]
Luckily this far into my life I've never been involved in a conversation with someone who hates the Church quite that much.
More often they just hate the truth in general, and the Church as an extension of that.

[quote name='apparently' date='07 January 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1262918431' post='2032172']
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
[size="6"][color="#0000ff"]world without end[/color][/size].

Amen.
[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
[/quote]

"World without end" is merely an archaic translation of the Latin phrase "et in saecula saeculorum". A more accurate modern English translation would be "and unto the ages of ages".

Edited by Resurrexi

dominicansoul

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 January 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1262918105' post='2032170']
Lol, when I was in Florida I, for the first time, saw a license plate border that said "In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned." I thought "Wow, what an arrogant jerk you sound like!"
[/quote]
yeah, a lot of fundies I work for love to pronounce their salvation over and over, yet they gossip about everyone and hate a few of their co-workers...nice job being "saved." arrogance is a part of it...

[/quote]
Yeah, there's a lot of that kind of protestant croutons around here. The Salvation Army marquis has said "Free tickets on Rapture Airline! Details inside!" for like three months. I mean, come on! That's not even KIND of witty!

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='09 January 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1263092257' post='2033615']
Yeah, there's a lot of that kind of protestant croutons around here. The Salvation Army marquis has said "Free tickets on Rapture Airline! Details inside!" for like three months. I mean, come on! That's not even KIND of witty!
[/quote]
I wore my Catholic Pirate shirt to Disneyworld just in case there were any Phatmassers that happened to be there. ;)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 January 2010 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1263081554' post='2033480']
Luckily this far into my life I've never been involved in a conversation with someone who hates the Church quite that much.
More often they just hate the truth in general, and the Church as an extension of that.
[/quote]

Nihil Obstat, I get this constantly. In my business I am head cook and bottle washer, I estimate work and complete it by myself for the most part occasionally I will bring one of my sons to help me and rarer still may hire day workers. I would have to say in about maybe 35-40% of the jobs I estimate I get either asked if I am a christian, or someone will look at my truck and see a prayer card and ask me about it, amazingly the majority of people hate catholics, from the ones taught that as children to the worse kind, those that left the church as they wanted a divorce or felt they should not have to confess their sins, or disagree with something about the church, as I said these are some of the most rude hateful ones you ever run across.
I have a prayer card that has a image of Jesus with his Sacred Heart on the front and on the back has the Morning Offering < Dear Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary I offer you my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throught the world, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of all our associates, and in particular for the general intention reccomended this month. > nothing too unseeming here, but people will look at it and get violent. I am not talking about a Mansonesque type person with a swastika gouged into his forehead, usually someone who says they are a christian. People are brought up in many protestant denoms to hate the church. If we raised our kids to hate protestants that much we would have holy wars going on, perhaps we would not have any leaving the church either.

ed

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='10 January 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1263092074' post='2033607']
"World without end" is merely an archaic translation of the Latin phrase "et in saecula saeculorum". A more accurate modern English translation would be "and unto the ages of ages".
[/quote]

I was under the impression that 'World without end.' was referring to Gods kingdom not particularly this earth???

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='10 January 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1263165925' post='2034178']
I was under the impression that 'World without end.' was referring to Gods kingdom not particularly this earth???
[/quote]

The word [i]world[/i] meant to the Elizabethans what [i]age[/i] means to us.

[quote name='apparently' date='07 January 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1262918431' post='2032172']
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
[size="6"][color="#0000ff"]world without end[/color][/size].

Amen.
[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
[/quote]

i always thought of it as "NO DEATH" or "WORLD WITHOUT DEATH"

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='CatherineM' date='01 January 2010 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1262403846' post='2028348']
There has always been chaos in the world, because we bring the chaos. Comes with original sin. There have always been disasters, earthquakes and floods and fires and famines and plagues. We do get better news coverage of incidents now than we did 1000 years ago, so it seems worse.

There's a reason why Jesus told us that we can't know the time of the second coming.
[/quote]

people always say this .... 'cant know the time, not even the father' etc etc. but he did say we can 'know the sign of the times', can and should, that is.

[quote name='ZeweInAeternum' date='11 January 2010 - 02:23 AM' timestamp='1263198214' post='2034533']
Doesn't the whole prophecy thing contradict the concept of free will?
[/quote]
What prophecy?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='11 January 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1263234736' post='2034903']
What prophecy?
[/quote]
The one where you and Voldemort have to duke it out or he'll hunt you forever.

Right? :huh:

[quote name='Moosey' date='11 January 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1263243992' post='2035004']
The one where you and Voldemort have to duke it out or he'll hunt you forever.

Right? :huh:
[/quote]
Love that one.