An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The End Near

infinitelord1

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='03 January 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1262580245' post='2029328']
Yes like the Hale Bop comet people who killed themselves to be picked up by an alien spaceship carrying Jesus, I beieve it was thirty or more poor souls who followed a madman to their death as he was certain the end times were upon us.

ed
[/quote]

Yes, the Heaven's Gate cult.

[img]http://www.citv.com.au/media/images/crimeFiles/cf-39-image.jpg[/img]
"All aboard!"

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='01 January 2010 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1262399358' post='2028283']
do you think the end is near? ive been reading the news lately and it seems like there is a lot of chaos around the world. i am currently in iraq...is this babylon? if not, where is it?

this place seems like hell to me.
[/quote]

When God wants the world to end.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='03 January 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1262557436' post='2029135']
I think its closer to say the meaning of the parable is to always be prepared.
[/quote]

It was actually two separate thoughts. Should have been clearer. :sweat:

I meant that discussions of the End Times bring up that parable for me, but IIRC there is also a passage in Scripture that says we shouldn't concern ourselves with the day or hour, but always have vigilance.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='03 January 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1262558764' post='2029144']
Probably. But I think Missy's interpretation is also valid. We shouldn't be preoccupied with it. If Jesus said, "You will not know the day or the hour," well, who are we to try to figure it out and/or worry about it?

Practically speaking, we can see the manifest damage caused by millenialists throughout history. Millenialists who were [i]always [/i]sure that "now is the time!"

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

This! Thanks.

Millenialism is the theological equivalent of an ostrich sticking its head in the sand, IMO. I know families who don't bother to take care of their bodies or educate their children because "the End Times is coming soon and we're all going to be raptured anyway." :ohno:

Nihil Obstat

Lol, when I was in Florida I, for the first time, saw a license plate border that said "In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned." I thought "Wow, what an arrogant jerk you sound like!"

[b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
[size="6"][color="#0000ff"]world without end[/color][/size].

Amen.
[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='apparently' date='07 January 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1262918431' post='2032172']
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
[size="6"][color="#0000ff"]world without end[/color][/size].

Amen.
[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
[/quote]
Apparently, thank you for point our the obvious and apparent Truth.

The world won't go on forever. The sun will die.

But by the time it does, if we're still around, we might have enough technology to live without the sun...Just a thought.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' date='07 January 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1262907617' post='2032096']
Dec 21, 2012 the world will end. At least that is the next date I'm aware of :detective: ... :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Another one of those fantasy dates?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='08 January 2010 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1262970958' post='2032514']
Another one of those fantasy dates?
[/quote]
It's the end of the Aztec Calander and I think it lines up with something Nostrodamus or someone else said way back when, and you throw in the Bible Code, Moby Johnsonville brat and swish it around...poof the answer to the meaning of Life.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' date='08 January 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1262975912' post='2032546']
It's the end of the Aztec Calander and I think it lines up with something Nostrodamus or someone else said way back when, and you throw in the Bible Code, Moby Johnsonville brat and swish it around...poof the answer to the meaning of Life.
[/quote]
Does the bible code etc take into account that its really not 2012, since Dionysius Exiguus was off in his counting by a few years?

Nihil Obstat

There's some fundie down south who has made his second end of the world prediction. I think it's May 17 2011. So that's probably our next on deck.

His last prediction obviously didn't quite pan out. :lol:

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' date='08 January 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1262975912' post='2032546']
[/quote]

August 13th, 1521 is the End :rip:, as far as the Aztec civilization is concerned.

The Aztec empire (1427-1521)
[i][font="Arial"]after the city of Tenochtitlan became infected with the small-pox epidemic, and half of the city was wiped out, Cortes seized the city and laid it in ruins. By August 13th, 1521, the Aztec empire was decimated and Spanish rule soon spread throughout the newly gained land.[/font][/i]

Edited by apparently