An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The End Near

infinitelord1

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='02 January 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1262480824' post='2028782']
You know what's sexist? To insist on using masculine nouns for women, as though we've got to give them a linguistic hand up to join the proud ranks of apparently superior masculine gender. Also sexist is using gender-neutral terms as though we've got to condescendingly level the playing field to accomodate them. The assumption that it's sexist to refer to a female who acts as an "actress" itself casts aspersions upon the female sex, as though it were a lesser sex.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Pwned.

Regarding the OP, I always recall the parable of the thief in discussions like this. Didn't Jesus tell us not to sit around trying to figure it out?

[quote name='MissyP89' date='03 January 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1262496844' post='2028925']
Regarding the OP, I always recall the parable of the thief in discussions like this. Didn't Jesus tell us not to sit around trying to figure it out?
[/quote]

I think its closer to say the meaning of the parable is to always be prepared.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='03 January 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1262557436' post='2029135']
I think its closer to say the meaning of the parable is to always be prepared.
[/quote]

Probably. But I think Missy's interpretation is also valid. We shouldn't be preoccupied with it. If Jesus said, "You will not know the day or the hour," well, who are we to try to figure it out and/or worry about it?

Practically speaking, we can see the manifest damage caused by millenialists throughout history. Millenialists who were [i]always [/i]sure that "now is the time!"

~Sternhauser

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='04 January 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1262558764' post='2029144']
If Jesus said, "You will not know the day or the hour,"
~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Some people me included interpret this as not only referring to end of days but also to the death of the individual which we will have to be concerned about rather than end of days which more than likely won't occur in our time.
Crikey! I'm getting paranoid now worrying about what I write and how I word it in case I start a fire. Writing on forums could be good training for lawyers. :annoyed:

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='03 January 2010 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1262559732' post='2029148']
Some people me included interpret this as not only referring to end of days but also to the death of the individual which we will have to be concerned about rather than end of days which more than likely won't occur in our time.
Crikey! I'm getting paranoid now worrying about what I write and how I word it in case I start a fire. Writing on forums could be good training for lawyers. :annoyed:
[/quote]

Both are valid interpretations. St. Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:1-8 gives some more clarification along the dual-meaning "be prepared," notion, and supports Missy's interpretation:

"But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation."

Mark 13 talks about the destruction of Jerusalem, but I'm afraid it has wider implications, as well.

There is a particular and a general "day of the Lord." We know that much.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='01 January 2010 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1262402905' post='2028325']
im gonna really go out on a limb here by saying this...

i think i have met the whore of babylon.
[/quote]
I hope she didn't give you a nasty disease.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='02 January 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1262414879' post='2028485']
"But of that day and hour no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone." (Matthew 24:36)
[/quote]

Resurrexi,, its good to see a voice of reason out there. The danger of trying to predict the end times is we fall into areas such as divination, sinful and forbidden. We are not able to know God's will, as his children he would not want to worry us, however we are supposed to be ready. We should live each day as it is our last or our personal "end times" it will come to many of us like a "thief in the night" we could die by accident or murder or unknown health issues that is why we should be prepared for our end times. Someone posted they are praying to hasten God's hand? I can not help but as to wonder what is so wrong with that individuals life to hope for an end to the world an end to the lives of billions of people. Surely the Mercy of God is why we are still here despite the state of the world, did not God send an angel to find one worthy soul to save in sodom and gommorah, sounds like his love for humans was clearly stated here, also in the story of the great flood. Why would a God that loves us so want to punish all for the sins of some? I will pray for His mercy and hope the end times come to us all individually.

ed

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='03 January 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1262558764' post='2029144']
Probably. But I think Missy's interpretation is also valid. We shouldn't be preoccupied with it. If Jesus said, "You will not know the day or the hour," well, who are we to try to figure it out and/or worry about it?

Practically speaking, we can see the manifest damage caused by millenialists throughout history. Millenialists who were [i]always [/i]sure that "now is the time!"

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Yes like the Hale Bop comet people who killed themselves to be picked up by an alien spaceship carrying Jesus, I beieve it was thirty or more poor souls who followed a madman to their death as he was certain the end times were upon us.

ed

King's Rook's Pawn

In a recent homily, my priest showed us a packet of several dozen pages from the Internet, all of dates people predicted for the end of the world, from the 1st century on down. His point being that it's all navel-gazing nonsense. When we die, that's the end of the world for us.