An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lying To Ourselves

Lil Red

[quote name='hot stuff' date='01 January 2010 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1262402604' post='2028318']
Yup

It is not morally permissable to kill an abortionist.
[/quote]

You've failed to say why. What is the Magisterial foundation for your view?

~Sternhauser

HisChildForever

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='01 January 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1262402987' post='2028326']
Because my personal view is absolutely immaterial to the objective status of whether the killing of an abortionist is moral or not.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

But you came in here looking for personal views.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='01 January 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1262403103' post='2028329']

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

I wouldn't answer him, Ja[i]i[/i]me. It's none of his business.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='01 January 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1262403103' post='2028329']

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

see above

[quote name='hot stuff' date='01 January 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1262403086' post='2028328']
Unless your personal view goes against Church teaching
[/quote]

[b]2258 [/b]"[i]Human life is sacred[/i] because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is its sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an [i][b]innocent [/b][/i]human being."

I think you're missing a key word, Jaim.e. I've bolded and italicized it.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='01 January 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1262403125' post='2028330']
But you came in here looking for personal views.
[/quote]

I came in here asking for a justification of objective claims that were made.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='01 January 2010 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1262403427' post='2028336']
I believe that your answer is "yes" to my question, Stern.
[/quote]

And that, HisChildForever, is one of the many reasons I decline to make statements on such issues. Because many people have proven themselves incapable of interpreting words and coming to proper conclusions based thereon.

~Sternhauser

I'm confused by all this. Is the guy who said it wasn't morally permissible to be in the US military now saying that it is permissible to kill an abortionist? I remember now why I put him on ignore.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='01 January 2010 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1262403214' post='2028334']
[b]2258 [/b]"[i]Human life is sacred[/i] because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is its sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an [i][b]innocent [/b][/i]human being."

I think you're missing a key word, Jaim.e. I've bolded and italicized it.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Well I'm just getting warmed up.

[quote][b][url="javascript:openWindow("]2268[/url][/b] The fifth commandment forbids [i]direct and intentional killing[/i]as gravely sinful. The murderer and those who cooperate voluntarily inmurder commit a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance.[sup]69[/sup]

Infanticide,[sup]70[/sup] fratricide, parricide,and the murder of a spouse are especially grave crimes by reason of thenatural bonds which they break. Concern for eugenics or public healthcannot justify any murder, even if commanded by public authority.

[/quote]

HisChildForever

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='01 January 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1262403551' post='2028338']
And that, HisChildForever, is one of the many reasons I decline to make statements on such issues. Because many people have proven themselves incapable of interpreting words and coming to proper conclusions based thereon.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

I asked you for a simple "yes" or "no" answer. The fact that you told me the answer was none of my business suggests that your answer is not a very favorable one.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='01 January 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1262403554' post='2028339']
I'm confused by all this. Is the guy who said it wasn't morally permissible to be in the US military [i]and retracted that statement [/i]is now saying that it is permissible to kill an abortionist? I remember now why I put him on ignore.
[/quote]

Corrections in[i] italics. [/i]

~Sternhauser

[quote name='hot stuff' date='01 January 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1262403615' post='2028340']
Well I'm just getting warmed up.

[b]2268[/b] The fifth commandment forbids [i]direct and intentional killing[/i] as gravely sinful. The murderer and those who cooperate voluntarily in murder commit a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance.[sup]69[/sup]

Infanticide,[sup]70[/sup] fratricide, parricide,and the murder of a spouse are especially grave crimes by reason of the natural bonds which they break. Concern for eugenics or public health cannot justify any murder, even if commanded by public authority.
[/quote]

You're getting warmer. But St. Thomas still seems to disagree with the Catechism, in any case. Which is correct?

Now: is execution, which the Church has traditionally permitted, an act of direct and intentional killing? Why or why not?

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

HisChildForever

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='01 January 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1262403774' post='2028344']
You're getting warmer. Now, is execution, which the Church has traditionally permitted, an act of direct and intentional killing? Why or why not?

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Getting warmer to what, the question you refuse to answer?

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='01 January 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1262403655' post='2028342']
I asked you for a simple "yes" or "no" answer. The fact that you told me the answer was none of my business suggests that your answer is not a very favorable one.
[/quote]

Ibid.

~Sternhauser