An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The Virgin Mary Appearing In Egypt?

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='kafka' date='29 December 2009 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1262130340' post='2027330']
this isnt even a private revelation at all. Usually Mary appears to an appointed person, or small group of people and there is a message of substance such as fasting and prayer, or some particular work she would like to have done in a particular area of the world, or perhaps some clarification of Divine Revelation such as the message of La Salette.

These are mere light shows caused by nature or perhaps by fallen angels. People love this sort of thing because they can just look on and not have to change their lives.
[/quote]
And you are qualified from your vantage point in the US to decide this? Who are you to decide where the Mother of God can appear? Where would be a better place than the troubled Middle East???

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/vmary.htm

http://www.zeitun-eg.org/stmaridx.htm

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='30 December 2009 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1262187013' post='2027505']
And you are qualified from your vantage point in the US to decide this? Who are you to decide where the Mother of God can appear? Where would be a better place than the troubled Middle East???

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/vmary.htm

http://www.zeitun-eg.org/stmaridx.htm
[/quote]
listen I was responding to the recent light show going on in Egypt not the ones from the sixties which I havent evaluated.

On these recent claimed apparitions:

Are there any true miracles, which could be performed only by God?
No.

Are there any messages teaching the truths of faith and morals, or exhorting the faithful to holiness?
No.

Are there any prayers or devotions taught to the faithful through this private revelation?
No.

Does the apparition of the Virgin Mary reveal her holiness and humility by her manner of dress and by her facial expressions?
No, it is just a bright blurry image.

Is this the type of sign that fallen angels could produce by their natural powers?
Yes.

And do I need a certificate motherofpearl? Listen I really dont like your attitude with me not now and not for a long time now. I wasnt in any way implying that I am one to decide where Mary appears. I was just giving trends in her true apparitions. It seems you like to take anything I say in a negative light. I should not have to feel threatened by you or your friend when posting my opinion at this phorum. Not that I care what you think anyway.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='kafka' date='30 December 2009 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1262205699' post='2027574']
listen I was responding to the recent light show going on in Egypt not the ones from the sixties which I havent evaluated.

On these recent claimed apparitions:

Are there any true miracles, which could be performed only by God?
No.

Are there any messages teaching the truths of faith and morals, or exhorting the faithful to holiness?
No.

Are there any prayers or devotions taught to the faithful through this private revelation?
No.

Does the apparition of the Virgin Mary reveal her holiness and humility by her manner of dress and by her facial expressions?
No, it is just a bright blurry image.

Is this the type of sign that fallen angels could produce by their natural powers?
Yes.

And do I need a certificate motherofpearl? Listen I really dont like your attitude with me not now and not for a long time now. I wasnt in any way implying that I am one to decide where Mary appears. I was just giving trends in her true apparitions. It seems you like to take anything I say in a negative light. I should not have to feel threatened by you or your friend when posting my opinion at this phorum. Not that I care what you think anyway.
[/quote]
And you always seem have the attitude that your opinion is somehow the definitive one that settles a topic once and for all.
If you don't care why are you complaining? :) Does the Mother of God have to speak to be believed? Only the Church is entitled to decide if an appariation is worthy of our faith,and at this point the Coptic Church seems accepting of them.

Mark of the Cross

People seem to forget that forums are for discussion, debate and just twittering. :)

Does one need to be qualified to post an opinion here.
I haven't seen any regulation regarding this. :)

Do we need to keep it friendly and Christian.
I should think this should be our aim. :)

Is it a sin to propose idea's that are in conflict with Church teaching.
I don't believe so, as long as we remember that our idea's and question are for discussion only and we should still obey the Church teachings and not practice our own idea's. :)

I didn't catch a reliable reference earlier in this discussion showing that the local Coptic Bishop and Pope Shenouda III had actually recognized this event as credible, so I looked it up myself. This is a link from the Coptic Diocese of Los Angeles:

http://www.lacopts.org/december-2009-apparitions

They seemed pretty convinced. I am very much intrigued by this event, myself. Has anybody found clearer pictures or video of the event?

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='30 December 2009 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1262220784' post='2027665']

Is it a sin to propose idea's that are in conflict with Church teaching.
I don't believe so, as long as we remember that our idea's and question are for discussion only and we should still obey the Church teachings and not practice our own idea's. :)
[/quote]
since you sort of brought up the point, I will clarify:

a magisterial decision on a private revelation or apparition is not a Church teaching since it does not fall into the realm faith and morals drawn from Divine Revelation (the Deposit of Faith), rather it is a temporal ruling subject to change. One of the Faithful can dissent from such a ruling in good conscience.

The authority of the Magisterium is twofold:
Spiritual: teachings on faith and morals
Temporal: rulings, disciplines, etc.

Now obviously this is a very bare bones explanation. However the point is if the local bishop were to decide that the apparition is a true one from God, the faithful in that area or any area does not have to assent to his decision and accept it as true.