An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The Virgin Mary Appearing In Egypt?

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

There's a sucker born every minute.

But then, if you can believe that a man is God, and worship the man by a form of ritual cannibalism, I guess you can believe just about anything.

[quote name='Antigonos' date='25 December 2009 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1261721040' post='2025787']

But then, if you can believe that a man is God, and worship the man by a form of ritual cannibalism, I guess you can believe just about anything.
[/quote]
Merry Christmas to you. :)

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Antigonos' date='25 December 2009 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1261721040' post='2025787']
There's a sucker born every minute.[/quote]

Doesn't tell you for which side though. ;)

[quote]But then, if you can believe that a man is God, and worship the man by a form of ritual cannibalism, I guess you can believe just about anything.
[/quote]

If you can believe that everything is purely chance, and there is no higher being, then I guess you can believe just about anything. God bless.

From St. Bernard's Homily "Missus Est" (4:11):

[size="3"]May the Word which was in the beginning with God be made flesh of my flesh according to thy word. May He, I entreat, be made to me, not a spoken word, to pass unheeded, but a word conceived – that is, clothed in flesh – which may remain. May He be to me not only audible to my ears, but visible to my eyes, felt by my hands, borne in my arms. Let Him be to me not a mute and written word traced with dumb signs on lifeless parchments, but an Incarnate, living Word vividly impressed in human form in my chaste womb by the operation of the Holy Spirit.[/size]

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='25 December 2009 - 09:12 AM' timestamp='1261721544' post='2025789']
Merry Christmas to you. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Thank you, but it's not a holiday I celebrate, because it is meaningless. Now, MY birthday is something else...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . . and the Word became flesh and dwelt among / in us."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK0hCMZ5rLg[/media]

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Antigonos' date='25 December 2009 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1261721040' post='2025787']

[/quote]

There's several Billion people who say you are wrong. Our God is a God of love who came to earth as a man to express his love for us. It makes far more sense than non belief. Eating his flesh is not just a physical act it is spiritually becoming one with him and thus eventually attaining omniexistance with him.

Beloved, our Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal creator of all things, today became our Savior by being born of a mother. Of his own will he was born for us today, in time, so that he could lead us to his Father's eternity. God became man so that man might become God. The Lord of angels became man today so that man could eat the bread of angels.

Today, the prophecy is fulfilled that said: Pour down, heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain the just one: let the earth be opened and bring forth a savior. The Lord who had created all things is himself now created, so that he who was lost would be found. Thus, man, in the words of the psalmist, confesses: Before I was humbled, I sinned. Man sinned and became guilty; God is born a man to free man from his guilt. Man fell, but God descended, man fell miserably, but God descended mercifully; man left through pride, God descended with his grace.

My brethren, what miracles! What prodigies! The laws of nature are changed in the case of man. God is born. A virgin becomes pregnant with man. The Word of God marries the woman who knows no man. She is now at the same time both mother and virgin. She becomes a mother, yet she remains a virgin. The virgin bears a son, yet she is not barren. He alone was born without sin, for she bore him without the embrace of a man, not by the concupiscence of the flesh but by the obedience of the mind.

[i]From a Sermon by Saint Augustine, bishop
(Sermo 13 de Tempore: PL 39, 1097-1098)[/i]

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='25 December 2009 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1261727748' post='2025834']
There's several Billion people who say you are wrong. Our God is a God of love who came to earth as a man to express his love for us. It makes far more sense than non belief. Eating his flesh is not just a physical act it is spiritually becoming one with him and thus eventually attaining omniexistance with him.
[/quote]

Quality, not quantity. There are more Moslems who disagree theologically with Christianity than there are Christians. And if you add in all the millions of Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Baha'i, animists, Jews, etc. then Christians are in the minority, if all that matters is numbers.

The God I believe in didn't have to "come to earth as a man". His love is a given, without all the rigamarole. If you live the way He has shown you to live, you will attain the same spiritual level as if you had eaten Him. Try it--you'll like it! [with apologies to Alka-Seltzer]

Completely off topic, but: why do so many posters use photos of William Shatner [from Star Trek] on a Catholic forum? He's Jewish, you know. [And I rather think Captain Kirk was likely to have been an agnostic]

Anyways... time will tell if this is a true apparition or not. If the media did pay a lot of attention to this, I can bet it wouldn't be positive.

Thank you, Apotheoun, for the beautiful reminders of why we give honor to the Virgin Mary - that she is the Mother of Our Lord, the Word made flesh, celebrated today in the hearts of all who love God.

[quote name='Antigonos' date='25 December 2009 - 06:54 AM' timestamp='1261742080' post='2025873']
Completely off topic, but: why do so many posters use photos of William Shatner [from Star Trek] on a Catholic forum? He's Jewish, you know. [And I rather think Captain Kirk was likely to have been an agnostic]
[/quote]
A lot of people use pictures of Jesus, and He was Jewish. What's your point?

There is . . . one God, who by the Word and Wisdom created and arranged all things; but this is the Creator who has granted this world to the human race, and who, as regards His greatness, is indeed unknown to all who have been made by Him (for no man has searched out His height, either among the ancients who have gone to their rest, or any of those who are now alive); but as regards His love, He is always known through Him by whose means He ordained all things. Now this is His Word, our Lord Jesus Christ, who in the last times was made a man among men, that He might join the end to the beginning, that is, man to God. Wherefore the prophets, receiving the prophetic gift from the same Word, announced His advent according to the flesh, by which the blending and communion of God and man took place according to the good pleasure of the Father, the Word of God foretelling from the beginning that God should be seen by men, and hold converse with them upon earth, should confer with them, and should be present with His own creation, saving it, and becoming capable of being perceived by it, and freeing us from the hands of all that hate us, that is, from every spirit of wickedness; and causing us to serve Him in holiness and righteousness all our days, in order that man, having embraced the Spirit of God, might pass into the glory of the Father. . . . For the glory of God is a living man; and the life of man consists in beholding God.

[i]St. Irenaeus
Adversus Haereses 4:20:4 and 4:20:7[/i]

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='24 December 2009 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1261712005' post='2025727']
No thats not it, the Bishop has already approved of it and said it is a very legit apparition. Even their "pope" has brought it up. The President Nasser of Egypt beleived in the one from the 1960's.
[/quote]
Shenouda III?

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 December 2009 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1261767627' post='2025947']
Shenouda III?
[/quote]

yes that would be the name I was afraid of typing due to my memory.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='25 December 2009 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1261756494' post='2025893']
A lot of people use pictures of Jesus, and He was Jewish. What's your point?
[/quote]

You're comparing William Shatner to Christ? Just seems an odd choice. In fact, in his persona as Capt. Kirk it seems an odd choice. IMO.