An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't You Realise...

Varg

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hot stuff' date='20 December 2009 - 06:44 PM' timestamp='1261352652' post='2023725']
This morning I prayed that you would start a silly thread.

*high fives the room*
[/quote]
+1

*high fives hot stuff*

Varg, just coming along and making a statement such as you did with no reasoning behind it is the mark of a troll. Really...we've come to expect better from you.

I cannot prove to you the power of prayer any more than I can prove to you that Christianity is true. We accept our faith not because empirical evidence supports it, but because we have been moved and allowed ourselves to be moved, and we believe the testimony of the Church to be trustworthy on account of its reasoning as well as its beauty.

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 December 2009 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1261368163' post='2023882']
Respectfully...'

Varg, man... you just don't get it...

you don't get what prayer is...it's not just saying words and asking for things hoping that Someone somewhere is listening...

I am in an actual [i]relationship[/i] with God...I "see" Him, I "hear" Him, and He guides me

[/quote]

Why are you using "..."? Do you see God or not? Do you hear him or not? If so then why the use of quotation marks and if not then why say it at all?

[quote]
...I have had profound experiences from the ordinary to the mystical that go beyond explanation...
[/quote]

They don't go beyond explanation. Many people, including many that don't pray or are non-theists (buddhists for example), experience something similar through meditation. Then there are those, regardless of religion, who experience something similar through smoking pot. Those "profound" and "mystical" experiences are actually just chemical reactions in your brain.

dominicansoul

[quote name='OraProMe' date='20 December 2009 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1261369058' post='2023889']
Why are you using "..."? Do you see God or not? Do you hear him or not? If so then why the use of quotation marks and if not then why say it at all?

They don't go beyond explanation. Many people, including many that don't pray or are non-theists (buddhists for example), experience something similar through meditation. Then there are those, regardless of religion, who experience something similar through smoking pot. Those "profound" and "mystical" experiences are actually just chemical reactions in your brain.
[/quote]
because I "see" not with the eyes...I "hear" not with the ears...
as for the chemical reaction stuff...I'm sure God will get a laugh out of that the next time we talk...

Edited by dominicansoul