An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't You Realise...

Varg

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='20 December 2009 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1261352675' post='2023726']
There not per-say but one must accept that sometimes the answer to those prayers is, no.
[/quote]
And as I said above, I take issue when "sometimes" means "always." Sometimes means that some prayers should be answered. If none are answered, then the word used should be "always."

[quote name='Varg' date='20 December 2009 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1261349944' post='2023697']
Prove it.
[/quote]

Hope.

Think about it.

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='20 December 2009 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1261353045' post='2023732']
And as I said above, I take issue when "sometimes" means "always." Sometimes means that some prayers should be answered. If none are answered, then the word used should be "always."
[/quote]
Most broad generalizations are wrong. :)

Even if you could prove that no prayer has ever been answered....... which you definitely cannot, you still couldn't validly say "always".

[quote name='Varg' date='20 December 2009 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1261349944' post='2023697']
Prove it.
[/quote]
Why not pray yourself, it's not like it possess any difficulty

proof?

Addison Marie Corsetti.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=76253&view=&hl=addison&fromsearch=1"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=76253&view=&hl=addison&fromsearch=1[/url]

At least do me the favor of reading the whole thing before you summarily dismiss it.

[quote name='Varg' date='20 December 2009 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1261348819' post='2023675']
...Prayer does nothing. It's useless and makes no difference to anything. Why bother?
[/quote]
Odin won't give you a pony, will he?

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Varg' date='20 December 2009 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1261349944' post='2023697']
Prove it.
[/quote]

Prove your OP.

See how that works?

At any rate, I will pray for you regardless of what you think about it.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='21 December 2009 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1261352570' post='2023724']
I don't think happiness, health or safety are bad things to pray for.
[/quote]

Fidei, I was recently diagnosed with an illness that has a high mortality rate. I know that there is a possibility that I will die from it. Even if I recover from it, having had it will probably shorten my life expectancy considerably.

I have also worked with some very ill people in a professional capacity, whose pain has outstripped my own by far.

I don't know whether I will get better. I don't pray for that. I do pray for trust and peace, and these things are given to me, even when I'm sorely agitated and anxious and struggling to think straight.

Sometimes I think of the lamps in the Temple, the ones that burned for eight days even though the oil was only limited (the Hannukah miracle). However, eventually it did give out. I trust that God will keep my oil burning for as long as it is needed, and no longer. I don't ask for anything else.

I don't know why I became ill. Sometimes it seems so dreadfully unfair, as I'm only young and I have (had?) so much that I wanted to do with my life. Now that's all been taken from me. But I trust that everything that comes from God is pure gift, which is why this illness doesn't bring me down. I know that I can use it for good. In a strange way, it might be just what I needed.

My prayer has become deeper since I became ill, and the love I have for other people has grown. Perhaps I would never have learnt to love this way if I hadn't become sick. I don't claim any credit for this - it isn't me at work here. It's all a bit beyond my comprehension, so I don't think or talk about it much. I just get on with my life. To live is to pray, after all.

[quote name='humbleheart' date='20 December 2009 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1261355761' post='2023756']
Fidei, I was recently diagnosed with an illness that has a high mortality rate. I know that there is a possibility that I will die from it. Even if I recover from it, having had it will probably shorten my life expectancy considerably.

I have also worked with some very ill people in a professional capacity, whose pain has outstripped my own by far.

I don't know whether I will get better. I don't pray for that. I do pray for trust and peace, and these things are given to me, even when I'm sorely agitated and anxious and struggling to think straight.

Sometimes I think of the lamps in the Temple, the ones that burned for eight days even though the oil was only limited (the Hannukah miracle). However, eventually it did give out. I trust that God will keep my oil burning for as long as it is needed, and no longer. I don't ask for anything else.

I don't know why I became ill. Sometimes it seems so dreadfully unfair, as I'm only young and I have (had?) so much that I wanted to do with my life. Now that's all been taken from me. But I trust that everything that comes from God is pure gift, which is why this illness doesn't bring me down. I know that I can use it for good. In a strange way, it might be just what I needed.

My prayer has become deeper since I became ill, and the love I have for other people has grown. Perhaps I would never have learnt to love this way if I hadn't become sick. I don't claim any credit for this - it isn't me at work here. It's all a bit beyond my comprehension, so I don't think or talk about it much. I just get on with my life. To live is to pray, after all.
[/quote]

I don't know your situation, but rest assured that we'll all be praying for you. Your attitude is inspiring to me.

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='20 December 2009 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1261354460' post='2023745']
proof?

Addison Marie Corsetti.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=76253&view=&hl=addison&fromsearch=1"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=76253&view=&hl=addison&fromsearch=1[/url]

At least do me the favor of reading the whole thing before you summarily dismiss it.
[/quote]
Plus many.

dominicansoul

Respectfully...'

Varg, man... you just don't get it...

you don't get what prayer is...it's not just saying words and asking for things hoping that Someone somewhere is listening...

I am in an actual [i]relationship[/i] with God...I "see" Him, I "hear" Him, and He guides me...I have had profound experiences from the ordinary to the mystical that go beyond explanation...

...you may not get it...you may not understand it...you may not even want to know it...but the Truth is...God is real...and He answers prayers...not always the way I wish He would, but nevertheless, He does...and what a privilege it is just to receive an answer!

ThePenciledOne

Trying to explain to atheists and non-believers the concept of praying, is like trying to teach a three-year old about physics.