An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Pcpa Novice

awyers

http://www.evite.com/app/photo/viewAlbum.do?albumId=JAKEDXQBPCVFHVGFDWJU&inviteId=PCBYIVIDSJAQTRKAAXEK&eventId=JOFLBNMDWKCVLMJDIFVH&li=iq&src=email&trk=aecs3

This is the Arizona foundation of OLAM, it is called Our Lady of Solitude and they are making great progress in establishing their monastery:

http://www.desertnuns.com/
http://desertnuns.blogspot.com/

Her name-in-religion is Sr. John Mark Maria of St. Peter the Apostle. I LOVE it!

I'm always praying for discerners, postulants and novices, and it helps to have names!

I understand another postulant is hoping to come and then they will be "full up" until they build their cloister.

In some of the pics you can see DSMME's who are assigned to that order's Arizona mission.

Anyone have news on what is happening at OLAM? I had heard there were putting all entrances, investitures and professions on hold until a new Mother Vicar was established?

Edited by DameAgnes

Where was this investiture ceremony? It doesn't look like their chapel, unless they did some serious renovation! Beautiful church wherever it is (if it's the West side of town I'm unfamiliar with their churches).

I had just browsed their blog after about a 6 month hiatus, so I was wondering when Sr. Michele would have her investment ceremony. That's fabulous that she is, thus far, persevering. They're a wonderful community.

It was held at St Joan of Arc church in their chapel which was so beautiful! I was so blessed to be able to attend. Her cousin is Fr. Kline and he is the pastor at St Joan of Arc and that is why they held it there. I have lots of pics I can post if I ever get a spare moment! The building project is coming along well and they hope to move to the new land in the spring. When they do they will have room for 4 more postulants!

[quote name='Piobaire' date='15 December 2009 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1260897337' post='2021025']
Didn't OLAM just elect a new council (dont know if that is what it is called) a few months ago? Why are they doing elections again??
[/quote]

Others might know more details than I do. I only know that the election of the Mother Vicar was set aside.

[quote name='Piobaire' date='15 December 2009 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1260897232' post='2021023']
It was held at St Joan of Arc church in their chapel which was so beautiful! I was so blessed to be able to attend. Her cousin is Fr. Kline and he is the pastor at St Joan of Arc and that is why they held it there. I have lots of pics I can post if I ever get a spare moment! The building project is coming along well and they hope to move to the new land in the spring. When they do they will have room for 4 more postulants!
[/quote]

How great! I've heard of St Joan of Arc, but haven't been there. I wondered where Fr. Kline went. He used to be the diocesan vocation director.

[quote name='Piobaire' date='15 December 2009 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1260897337' post='2021025']
Didn't OLAM just elect a new council (dont know if that is what it is called) a few months ago? Why are they doing elections again??
[/quote]

I'm wondering the same thing. They had elected Sr. Margaret Mary as Vicar according to their Fall newsletter. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Edited by truthfinder

laetitia crucis

Thanks for the pictures -- and so many of them!!! :woot:

I also appreciated seeing the parchment scroll close up. Beautiful! :)

I only know a little and I wish to be discreet because I don't want to see any monastery become a victim of rumor and innuendo. It seems the new Mother Vicar apparently very quickly implemented changes within the monastery that some came to view as injudicious or heavy-handed, and the monastery is setting aside the election and taking the time to pray and be guided by the Holy Spirit.

Change is sometimes a good and necessary thing, but perhaps the lesson that change must be done with care, deftness and a sensitivity to those whose lives will be affected is one that needs learning, no matter if it is in government, or in a small community, or even if it is in a monastery.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got their newsletter from the PCPA's in Alabama and I could not understand ONE word of what they had to say about their council, etc.

It said that Mother Angelica has been named Abbess Emerita by the Pope and it is a title for life. Then they went on to explain that whoever has been running things while she has been ill (Mother Vicar? Not sure.) has been sent on a sabbatical/retreat (don't have it in front of me and can't remember the language) - and there were two of them. The newsletter (which was their Christmas newsletter) asked for prayers and said they are preparing for an election.

It was totally vague and I guess that's why it left me (as usual) confused. So, Dame Agnes, I guess you have more insight into the situation and your discretion, is, as always, appropriate and lovely.

Whatever the case, they obviously need a lot of prayers.

Saint Therese

I think they were probably trying to be informative without revealing any details that might invite undue speculation into their community affairs.

Here is a short video clip from the investiture. Enjoy!

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/cbe68e7d79ac849cdc101932e10d209d/video/8692900

Saint Therese

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='16 December 2009 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1260990321' post='2021888']
I only know a little and I wish to be discreet because I don't want to see any monastery become a victim of rumor and innuendo. It seems the new Mother Vicar apparently very quickly implemented changes within the monastery that some came to view as injudicious or heavy-handed, and the monastery is setting aside the election and taking the time to pray and be guided by the Holy Spirit.

Change is sometimes a good and necessary thing, but perhaps the lesson that change must be done with care, deftness and a sensitivity to those whose lives will be affected is one that needs learning, no matter if it is in government, or in a small community, or even if it is in a monastery.
[/quote]

I think if you'd really wanted to be discreet you wouldn't have posted that.

[quote name='Piobaire' date='31 December 2009 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1262284772' post='2027847']
Here is a short video clip from the investiture. Enjoy!

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/cbe68e7d79ac849cdc101932e10d209d/video/8692900
[/quote]

Thank you for sharing that video clip!