An Old School Catholic Message Board

Western Vs Eastern

Katya

My understanding is that western and eastern religious rights of the catholic church are both in communion with the Pope... right?

So, why does one allow priests to marry and the other one adamantly opposes it listing all the reasons why its horrible if it is allowed in the other rite? Are they saying its terrible in Eastern?

ChildoftheCreator

No, actually, from what I can remember, others can correct me if I am wrong, the priests not being able to marry is something that was started in the middle ages. In the early church this concept did not exist. I think it was the same then as it is now in the Eastern Rites and also in the Orthodox Church. In the Eastern Rites the priests are allowed to get married before their ordination, but not afterwards and if their wife dies or they get a divorce, they cannot get married a second time. If they do, they must drop out of the priesthood.

The Roman Rite allows for married priests in a few circumstances, however when I say few, I mean very few. Normally these priests were once Anglican clergy and were married when they converted to the Catholic Church. The Church allowed them to keep their wives and their status as priest. I am not certain if they do this for pastors of any other denomination, perhaps for Orthodox clergy as well that convert to Roman Catholicism.

Also in the Orthodox Church (I know this is not Eastern Rite, but it might be the same with them too) you must be an unmarried priest to be promoted to Bishop. So, before you get married you should consider whether or not you have hopes of being a bishop. :)

Anyways, I am not entirely sure why it changed during the middle ages, but it certainly has stuck. So it is a tradition with a little t and can be changed without change to dogma.

PizzaSandwhich

My understanding of preistly celibacy in the West is that it had always been a general practice for priests to never marry, but it wasn't made an official liturgical rule until the Middle Ages.

I think I read somewhere that it's actually doctrine (not just an offical liturgical practice) that Bishops cannot marry, or be married upon ordination. I know that at least the Eastern Rites, and the Russian Orthodox Church follows this law, and I'm pretty sure the other Orthodox Churches do as well.

ChildoftheCreator

Yes, sorry. I meant that it wasn't doctrine that priests couldn't marry. I didn't know if it were doctrine or not if Bishops couldn't marry, but I guess it is.

Edit: Then I also have a question based off of this. Was there anything mentioned in the first seven ecumenical councils about bishops not being able to marry and if so which one?

Edited by ChildoftheCreator

PizzaSandwhich

[quote name='ChildoftheCreator' date='13 December 2009 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1260744197' post='2019879']
Was there anything mentioned in the first seven ecumenical councils about bishops not being able to marry and if so which one?[/quote]
Thus comes to an end my knowledge of the history of celibacy. :) Perhaps Raphael would be better suited to answer this one?

You may find [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=81678&st=0&p=1575327&fromsearch=1&#entry1575327"]this Phatmass link[/url] relevant. I believe it's the first topic I started when I joined PM.

Keep in mind, anyone who reads it, that I'm much less stupid now. :D

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 December 2009 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1260745891' post='2019897'] I believe it's the first topic I started when I joined PM.

Keep in mind, anyone who reads it, that I'm much less stupid now. :D
[/quote]

:mellow: I'm not sure I agree with that.

Maybe a little less. Maybe.

:P

[quote name='zunshynn' date='13 December 2009 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1260751971' post='2019952']
:mellow: I'm not sure I agree with that.

Maybe a little less. Maybe.

:P
[/quote]
Stop flirting with me, woman!