An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Divides Muslims And Christians

mortify

[quote name='Hassan' date='22 December 2009 - 07:59 AM' timestamp='1261429183' post='2024114']
Are you a Croat?
[/quote]
No, I am a Bulgar.

[quote]As to the quotes, talk to Todd (Apo). He can explain to you the plightof the Serbs and their need to resist the 'infidel' to defendthemselves from Dhimitude and the 1300 year enemy of Christianity.[/quote]

Well he will need to spin history to fit his ideology(religion?) because early on, until mid 18th century the Serbs(mainly their middle class) rebelled against the Ottomans because of the excesses of the Janissary corps. Their actual wish was for the soldiers to be restrained and for rule of law to be restored, only when the Rus were encroaching and spreading pan slavic nationalism were those wishes changed into Independence movements.

[quote]That the Ottoman Empire lost control of Serbia 200 years before hand,Serbia was the aggressor, and that the genocide was committed againstSlavic not Turkic Muslims makes no difference apparently.[/quote]

I am not the one who started talking about ottomans, so I don't see the point of you raising it but anyways. And for your information the Serbs claimed that
a. Bosnian were not an ethnic group, but a group that was once Serb
b. Bosnains were not indigenous to the area
c. they called the Bosnians "Turks" quite often. (But in the balkans that doesn't mean ethnicity)

Sorry but I am not seeing your point....because your actually making my point, namely that its was about religion not ethnicity.

[quote]I wonder what would be said here if Bosnaik's committed thoseatrocities with that level of clerical support against Orthodox Serbs.[/quote]
I'll cross that bridge when it happens, but most likely I won't be staying home and trying to whitewash things.

PS. we don't have a clergy.

[quote name='Hassan' date='21 December 2009 - 06:43 AM' timestamp='1261374209' post='2023932']
The conflict was not just about religion. Anyone who tells you that 'x' conflict was caused solely by 'y' is almost certainly either ignorant or lying to you. Christian persecution in Iraq by Sunni Muslims isn't just about religion either. Croats were attacked by Serbia. Croats did suffer from Serbian aggression, I don't know if most people would say that Serbs waged genocide against the Croats. Serbs also suffered. It was a clusterpluck of a situation. Like most geopolitical events it was messy, caste in shades of gray, and often difficult to understand at the time.
[/quote]

Thanks. This is the perspective I get from Catholic Croats who have suffered and from those who are removed from (have not been directly affacted by)these events.

[quote name='Pomak' date='22 December 2009 - 07:42 AM' timestamp='1261464172' post='2024299']
Sorry but I am not seeing your point....because your actually making my point, namely that its was about religion not ethnicity.
[/quote]
Thanks for your reply. This is what my Muslim friends say on this genocide.

What happened was deplorable. My simpleton's view is that Holy Scripture does not condone this evil. We are not mandated to 'slay them (infidels) where we find them'.

God bless

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='21 December 2009 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1261441215' post='2024191']
[img]http://www.tech-faq.com/emoticons/free-animated-emoticons/smiley_58.gif[/img][img]http://www.tech-faq.com/emoticons/free-animated-emoticons/smiley_54.gif[/img] We spell it Humour!!
[/quote]
Well played.

[quote name='Pomak' date='22 December 2009 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1261464172' post='2024299']
No, I am a Bulgar.

Well he will need to spin history to fit his ideology(religion?) because early on, until mid 18th century the Serbs(mainly their middle class) rebelled against the Ottomans because of the excesses of the Janissary corps. Their actual wish was for the soldiers to be restrained and for rule of law to be restored, only when the Rus were encroaching and spreading pan slavic nationalism were those wishes changed into Independence movements.

I am not the one who started talking about ottomans, so I don't see the point of you raising it but anyways. And for your information the Serbs claimed that
a. Bosnian were not an ethnic group, but a group that was once Serb
b. Bosnains were not indigenous to the area
c. they called the Bosnians "Turks" quite often. (But in the balkans that doesn't mean ethnicity)

Sorry but I am not seeing your point....because your actually making my point, namely that its was about religion not ethnicity.[/QUOTE]

My point was the exact opposite of what you seem to have taken it to be. I'm sorry if it seemed I was actually endorsing those claims. It was a sarcastic response to Todd's claims about the Balkan wars and the position of the Serbs.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='23 December 2009 - 11:33 AM' timestamp='1261528432' post='2024782']
TRUTH is the dividing factor...
[/quote]
And the truth is that it is Satan who divides us. Divide and turn against one another, each religion, each denomination, each neighbour. Satan does not want one Catholic Church (Universal).

It seems odd, doesn't it or is it just me, that the cheesy movie"avatar" will not/can not be shown in Muslim countries but is all the rage in the Christian worlds because of the depiction of scantily clad, half naked woman. :detective:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='22 December 2009 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1261531790' post='2024800']
And the truth is that it is Satan who divides us. Divide and turn against one another, each religion, each denomination, each neighbour. Satan does not want one Catholic Church (Universal).
[/quote]
actually...no...i mean, sure what you say is correct but that's not what i'm talking about...

Jesus said he did not come to bring peace to the world...because He knew that man's acceptance or rejection of TRUTH would divide more than unite...

Edited by dominicansoul

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='23 December 2009 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1261532300' post='2024808']
actually...no...i mean, sure what you say is correct but that's not what i'm talking about...

Jesus said he did not come to bring peace to the world...because He knew that man's acceptance or rejection of TRUTH would divide more than unite...
[/quote]

I wish I had a tiny fraction of Jesus wisdom!

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='22 December 2009 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1261531790' post='2024800']
[/quote]
Hence protestantism, islam, etcetera.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Winchester' date='23 December 2009 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1261533138' post='2024821']
Hence protestantism, islam, etcetera.
[/quote]
Humour Gym?
[img]http://www.bps-ok.org/kane/trek_teachers/Mr_Spock.jpg[/img]

Mark of the Cross

How about this for a theory. God allowed multiple religions as a test to see which could learn to love one another!

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Lil Red' date='27 December 2009 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1261880210' post='2026409']
+J.M.J.+
why do you spell it "gym"? :huh: it's "Jim", isn't it?
[/quote]

It's a stolen joke from Mad Magazine. :mellow: If it's not funny then it isn't mine, but if its funny the I made it up.

Edited by Mark of the Cross