An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuclear Power

Varg

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='pvtmiller' date='22 January 2010 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1264179554' post='2042249']
how about send it to the sun to be burnt to a crisp
[/quote]

Haha. A viable thought but I wonder if it would be worth the cost saved by operation to fly it into space. I have no idea really. It might be reasonable to send it into space aimed for the sun...let inertia do its thing.

Imagine another accident with liftoff, causing catastrophic failure in the form of an explosion of a rocket full of radioactive waste.
Kinda frightening.

goldenchild17

I intend to look more into this when I get a chance, but from everything I can see I still completely stand in support of nuclear power and its potential. Especially in contrast to the current options which includes the tons and tons of coal that literally go right past my door every day many times a day (rarely can sleep with the window open due to it :) ). Wind and solar would probably be ideal, but there is not the technology to make it actually viable except on the smallest of scales right now. As has been evidenced by the power of the weapons, nuclear energy provides by far the biggest bang (no pun intended :) ) for the buck, and space/resources available, and the dangers (other than hypothetical) are far overblown.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 January 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1263942628' post='2040355']
[color="#000000"]nuclear power is kind of c[color="#000000"]rap[/color] imo.[/color]
[/quote]

But pull your head on out (of) your hippie haze
And give a listen

Nuclear power is clean, cheap, and safe.

No one on this thread has debated any of those

Happy_Catholic

[quote name='notardillacid' date='22 January 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1264212745' post='2042540']

[/quote]

Tell that to the people of Chernobyl.

While it may be an extreme example, and probably a result of poor maintenance and general stupidity, it points out how ticklish nuclear reactors can be.

When something goes wrong, something REALLY goes wrong.

People are greedy. People always find ways to cut corners. We're probably not far off another Chernobyl given the recent economic climate.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='22 January 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1264214798' post='2042565']

While it may be an extreme example, and probably a result of poor maintenance and general stupidity, it points out how ticklish nuclear reactors can be.

People are greedy. People always find ways to cut corners. We're probably not far off another Chernobyl given the recent economic climate.
[/quote]

http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2008&month=02

"This of course was not the case in Chernobyl, where the [b]Soviet designers didn’t even bother building a concrete containment structure around the reactor vessel[/b]. Then in 1986, two teams of operators became involved in a tussle over use of the reactor and ended up overheating the core, which set fire to the carbon moderator that facilitates the chain reaction. (American reactors don’t use carbon moderators.) The result was a four-day fire that spewed radioactive debris around the world. More fallout fell on Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, from Chernobyl than from Three Mile Island. With proper construction such a thing could never happen."

Simple precautions and proper construction goes a long way. I am totally with you on the fact that people will do anything to cut corners. That can be done with anything (The Jungle?). As many problems as America does have, I don't think its fair to compare us with the Soviets. We still do (and can) put good laws and codes in place to oversee these projects and work to prevent these issues. Believe me, I understand that all possibilities need to be taken into account, and I don't think its a viable option for all countries (like a soviet Russian-type country), but its an unfair comparison to America imho.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='22 January 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1264214798' post='2042565']

[/quote]

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='22 January 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1264217177' post='2042598']
http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2008&month=02

"This of course was not the case in Chernobyl, where the [b]Soviet designers didn’t even bother building a concrete containment structure around the reactor vessel[/b]. Then in 1986, two teams of operators became involved in a tussle over use of the reactor and ended up overheating the core, which set fire to the carbon moderator that facilitates the chain reaction. (American reactors don’t use carbon moderators.) The result was a four-day fire that spewed radioactive debris around the world. More fallout fell on Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, from Chernobyl than from Three Mile Island. With proper construction such a thing could never happen."

Simple precautions and proper construction goes a long way. I am totally with you on the fact that people will do anything to cut corners. That can be done with anything (The Jungle?). As many problems as America does have, I don't think its fair to compare us with the Soviets. We still do (and can) put good laws and codes in place to oversee these projects and work to prevent these issues. Believe me, I understand that all possibilities need to be taken into account, and I don't think its a viable option for all countries (like a soviet Russian-type country), but its an unfair comparison to America imho.
[/quote]

You know how much of Europe uses nuclear power? How many accidents have you heard of over there?

http://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclopedia/n/nuclear-power-plant-europe.htm

[quote]As of Jan 2010 there is a total of 195 nuclear power plant units with an installed electric net capacity of 168,484 MWe in operation in Europe and 17 units with 14,710 MWe were under construction in six countries.[/quote]

I am not someone to point out that America should follow the rest of the world, however I think we should follow Europe here in their extensive use of it.

goldenchild17

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='22 January 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1264217362' post='2042602']
You know how much of Europe uses nuclear power? How many accidents have you heard of over there?

http://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclopedia/n/nuclear-power-plant-europe.htm

I am not someone to point out that America should follow the rest of the world, however I think we should follow Europe here in their extensive use of it.
[/quote]

Exactly. This isn't exactly a half-brain crazy idea. Other countries are already using it.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='22 January 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1264212745' post='2042540']
But pull your head on out (of) your hippie haze
And give a listen

No one on this thread has debated any of those
[/quote]
Normally I just walk away from threads such as this or post something spammy but atm I feel like being a tad serious.

Nuclear power is kind of c[color="#000000"]rap[/color].

[spoiler]
My ideas about the world are often gigaparsecs away from the common views of our society. To really explain my position on nuclear power I would first have to adequately elucidate a holistic utopian vision. Doing this would be no small task and would require a great deal of additional background. Even were someone to read all of the books that have influenced me, and endure hours of my rants, they would not necessarily "get it" as my utopian vision is based so much upon my imagination. To top it off I find myself lacking the desire that many people of conviction feel to convince others of their ideas.

[/spoiler]

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='11 December 2009 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1260584125' post='2018757']
perhaps :) I'd much rather use the potential of nuclear energy for something useful rather than for bombs. I think it would be a great use of Einstein's contribution to the world.
[/quote]
"Einstein's contribution to the world"

Care to further explain this further?

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='22 January 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1264214798' post='2042565']

[/quote]
It does not point out how 'ticklish' nuclear reactors are. If you knew anything about Chernobyl you wouldn't say something as ignorant as that. Nuclear reactors don't randomly explode. You are going to have to come up with a better argument against nuclear power than the typical trite excuses. If you had studied to any extent the safety and contingency levels that nuclear power plants in the United States have to accommodate, you would not have made that post (especially commenting on how (apparently) close we are to another Chernobyl :rolleyes:.

BTW You could use the same arguments you are using against an innumerable amount of 'dangerous' activities/processes

Aeroplanes: when something goes wrong, something REALLY goes wrong.
Ocean Liners: when something goes wrong, something REALLY goes wrong.
Assault Rifles:when something goes wrong, something REALLY goes wrong.
Government:when something goes wrong, something REALLY goes wrong.
Freedom: when something goes wrong, something REALLY goes wrong.
Allowing People To Think for Themselves: when something goes wrong, something REALLY goes wrong.

Edited by notardillacid

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='22 January 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1264219710' post='2042632']
Normally I just walk away from threads such as this or post something spammy but atm I feel like being a tad serious.

Nuclear power is kind of c[color="#000000"]rap[/color].

[spoiler]
My ideas about the world are often gigaparsecs away from the common views of our society. To really explain my position on nuclear power I would first have to adequately elucidate a holistic utopian vision. Doing this would be no small task and would require a great deal of additional background. Even were someone to read all of the books that have influenced me, and endure hours of my rants, they would not necessarily "get it" as my utopian vision is based so much upon my imagination. To top it off I find myself lacking the desire that many people of conviction feel to convince others of their ideas.

[/spoiler]
[/quote]
That's fine. You don't want electricity, cars, airplanes, refrigeration, A/C, heated homes, cellular phones etc...

I actually sympathize with you. Unfortunately for you, nobody sympathizes with you except myself and the Amish.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote]You don't want electricity, cars, airplanes, refrigeration, A/C, heated homes, cellular phones etc.[/quote]
Correction: electricity = a bit, cars = no, airplanes = airships are better, refrigeration = sometimes, A/C = no, heated homes = sure, cellular phones = never.

[quote]nobody sympathizes with you except myself and the Amish[/quote]
I cannot accept this statement as I am aware of sympathizers who are simultaneously not you an not at all Amish.

Hair peace. \\//,

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='23 January 2010 - 03:55 AM' timestamp='1264236927' post='2042768']
Correction: electricity = a bit, cars = no, airplanes = airships are better, refrigeration = sometimes, A/C = no, heated homes = sure, cellular phones = never.

I cannot accept this statement as I am aware of sympathizers who are simultaneously not you an not at all Amish.

Hair peace. \\//,
[/quote]
Well, based off of absolutely 0 human interaction with you, and not knowing anything substantial about you, I'd say I was pretty darn close

Since we live in a democrazy, you and your cohorts are less than 0.00001% of the population, therefore you are not human and don't count

goldenchild17

[quote name='notardillacid' date='23 January 2010 - 02:35 AM' timestamp='1264235737' post='2042765']
"Einstein's contribution to the world"

Care to further explain this further?

[/quote]

I was just referring to his equation e=mc^.