An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuclear Power

Varg

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 December 2009 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1260750271' post='2019930']
It would be cool to save up nuclear waste for a few hundred years, then launch it in a rocket to smash into an asteroid. It would be expensive in the short term, but spread out over enough time it may be feasible. :)
[/quote]
What about all the pollution from the rockets? And then...and then what happens when there's an accident and nuclear waste gets spread all over Canada? :D

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 December 2009 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1260650235' post='2019265']
[snip] I'm sure it would be better to find a way to convert radioactive materials into not-radioactive materials though.
[/quote]

The elements do this naturally, of their own accord. It just takes them more time that's all.

Nuclear power is a major factor in didacuscorp's plans to take over the world. But we'll do it in a nice way.
:saint:

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='18 December 2009 - 03:42 AM' timestamp='1261125755' post='2022705']
What about all the pollution from the rockets? And then...and then what happens when there's an accident and nuclear waste gets spread all over Canada? :D
[/quote]

Like that's never happened before...
<_<

If they could at least spread it over Quebec, at least we wouldn't have to deal with the stuff once they finally seperate.

[quote name='Didacus' date='18 December 2009 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1261145343' post='2022731']
The elements do this naturally, of their own accord. It just takes them more time that's all.

:saint:
[/quote]
Well quickly without all the annoying radiation poisoning. :)

You know, I almost find the idea of nuclear power as... barbaric. Not as technological as I thought it would be... get a whole bunch of lead and stuff that stops bouncing particles, feed rods of radioactive stuff into the lead chambers which heat up water which makes the water move and turn the turbine. Then after a while the radioactive stuff becomes useless but is still utterly dangerous and essentially indestructible. What then?

Barbaric?

Taking a useless element and converting it into incredible amounts of energy while emitting no toxins except for a small amount of easily contained waste.

Nuclear technology makes every other way we have of generating energy look barbaric

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='17 December 2009 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1261104042' post='2022550']
Sure let's give the CEOs of the power companies the power of a warhead.
[/quote]
Firstly, the grade of uranium used for powerplants is not even CLOSE to what is used in a warhead. So unless these CEO's have 10,000 centrifuges in their backpocket then you really aren't giving them jack poo. :mellow:

For how much croutons gets thrown their way, American nuclear powerplants have incredible safety records. I trust them to keep up the integrity of their plant more than I trust a politician not to use nuclear warheads on areas of dense civilian population.

[quote name='Christie_M' date='18 December 2009 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1261116606' post='2022665']
I'm actually more for nuclear power then bio fuels., mostly because i think that the stuff used for bio fuel should be eaten :mellow:
But i'm against it because of the waste problem. after all, the stuff can't be stored underground or dumped in the ocean forever
[/quote]
Biofuels aren't necessarily crops. Other sources like corn stover, wood chips, etc., can be used.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='notardillacid' date='18 December 2009 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1261184579' post='2022881']
Firstly, the grade of uranium used for powerplants is not even CLOSE to what is used in a warhead. So unless these CEO's have 10,000 centrifuges in their backpocket then you really aren't giving them jack poo. :mellow:

For how much croutons gets thrown their way, American nuclear powerplants have incredible safety records. I trust them to keep up the integrity of their plant more than I trust a politician not to use nuclear warheads on areas of dense civilian population.

[/quote]

They don't need to make warheads, they just need to pull a Chernobyl. Sure the records are good, but all it takes is once....

Sorry to be pessimistic, I just find nuclear energy just too dangerous for the current mindset of humanity to handle.

Edited by ThePenciledOne

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='18 December 2009 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1261188212' post='2022895']
They don't need to make warheads, they just need to pull a Chernobyl. Sure the records are good, but all it takes is once....

Sorry to be pessimistic, I just find nuclear energy just too dangerous for the current mindset of humanity to handle.
[/quote]

The Penciled One,

You need to read "The Ultimate Resource" (and its sequel) by Julian Simon. It's a book about the farcical logic of "overpopulation." It covers nuclear energy, and shows that coal energy has killed and injured more people than even ten Chernobyls.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='18 December 2009 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1261191938' post='2022927']
The Penciled One,

You need to read "The Ultimate Resource" (and its sequel) by Julian Simon. It's a book about the farcical logic of "overpopulation." It covers nuclear energy, and shows that coal energy has killed and injured more people than even ten Chernobyls.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
I just saw an ad in a Toronto newspaper last week that took up a page... it was a woman wearing an oxygen mask and they talked about some sort of fossil fuel plant that is being planned for nearby. The whole read was about how one certain purity particle can mess someone up. It's sorta scary. I'm fuzzy on the details. Fossil fuel can be damaging.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='18 December 2009 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1261191938' post='2022927']
The Penciled One,

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

I will Stern. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that coal energy is better, far from it. I am only saying that nuclear energy is not the alternative right now.