An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuclear Power

Varg

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tried to work Islam into this topic somehow. Couldn't. Sorry.

I think that nuclear power is misunderstood by a lot of people. They point to Chernobyl, but I just point to the fact that the plant at Chernobyl was built and maintained by Soviets, which means it was built badly by someone who was drunk. And had an awesome hat...But whatever. Nuclear power has become a lot safer and Communism is dead now so they don't allow underqualified vodka-swilling people run plants. The average person creates one teacup full (yep, typical Britisher has to compare everything to tea and tea receptacles) of nuclear waste in their WHOLE lifetime. It's pretty much carbon neutral and much more efficient than both fossil fuels and renewable energy sources.

So, what do you say?

goldenchild17

[quote name='Varg' date='11 December 2009 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1260570337' post='2018673']

I think that nuclear power is misunderstood by a lot of people. They point to Chernobyl, but I just point to the fact that the plant at Chernobyl was built and maintained by Soviets, which means it was built badly by someone who was drunk. And had an awesome hat...But whatever. Nuclear power has become a lot safer and Communism is dead now so they don't allow underqualified vodka-swilling people run plants. The average person creates one teacup full (yep, typical Britisher has to compare everything to tea and tea receptacles) of nuclear waste in their WHOLE lifetime. It's pretty much carbon neutral and much more efficient than both fossil fuels and renewable energy sources.

So, what do you say?
[/quote]

I'm actually really for the idea of nuclear power. I read a good article in a newsletter some time ago that got me interested in it. I'll see if I can find it.

goldenchild17

http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2008&month=02

I think this was it. I don't know how sound it is, but it made sense to me at the time.

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='11 December 2009 - 09:16 PM' timestamp='1260580609' post='2018716']
I'm actually really for the idea of nuclear power. I read a good article in a newsletter some time ago that got me interested in it. I'll see if I can find it.
[/quote]

You just forfeited your Hippie card. For as The Poet said, "The no-nukes yell we're gonna all go to hell with the next big melt-down."

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

goldenchild17

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='11 December 2009 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1260582863' post='2018742']
You just forfeited your Hippie card. For as The Poet said, "The no-nukes yell we're gonna all go to hell with the next big melt-down."

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

perhaps :) I'd much rather use the potential of nuclear energy for something useful rather than for bombs. I think it would be a great use of Einstein's contribution to the world.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='11 December 2009 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1260584125' post='2018757']
perhaps :) I'd much rather use the potential of nuclear energy for something useful rather than for bombs. I think it would be a great use of Einstein's contribution to the world.
[/quote]

Well, now, I didn't say I [i]disagreed[/i] with you, I just said you couldn't be a hippie and be in favor of nuclear power. I'm pretty sure you have to eat granola, say things such as, "Like, wow, man," and oppose nuclear anything in order to be a hippie.

~Sternhauser

goldenchild17

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='11 December 2009 - 08:19 PM' timestamp='1260584369' post='2018759']
Well, now, I didn't say I [i]disagreed[/i] with you, I just said you couldn't be a hippie and be in favor of nuclear power. I'm pretty sure you have to eat granola, say things such as, "Like, wow, man," and oppose nuclear anything in order to be a hippie.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

One would be hard-pressed to find any category of any kind that I fit into 100%. Though I think that probably goes for just about everyone. I'm also pro-war (when is needed and viable) and yet still consider myself to follow many of the "hippie" peace ideals. It's probably a contradiction, but it works for me.

and yeah, granola is pretty awesome :hippie:

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='11 December 2009 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1260584892' post='2018761']
One would be hard-pressed to find any category of any kind that I fit into 100%. Though I think that probably goes for just about everyone. I'm also pro-war (when is needed and viable) and yet still consider myself to follow many of the "hippie" peace ideals. It's probably a contradiction, but it works for me.

and yeah, granola is pretty awesome :hippie:
[/quote]

I've always had a soft spot for hippies.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Varg' date='12 December 2009 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1260570337' post='2018673']

I think that nuclear power is misunderstood by a lot of people. They point to Chernobyl, but I just point to the fact that the plant at Chernobyl was built and maintained by Soviets, which means it was built badly by someone who was drunk. And had an awesome hat...But whatever. Nuclear power has become a lot safer and[b] Communism is dead now so they don't allow underqualified vodka-swilling people run plants. [/b]The average person creates one teacup full (yep, typical Britisher has to compare everything to tea and tea receptacles) of nuclear waste in their WHOLE lifetime. It's pretty much carbon neutral and much more efficient than both fossil fuels and renewable energy sources.

So, what do you say?
[/quote]

you do realize that the soviets and eastern bloc countries ran 100's of power plants and like only one went critical?

Lol I remember in Bulgaria when we joined the EU those Europeans looked at our power plant and were like "WTF, how does that POS still work/hasn't gone critical". They are a lot safer than some people claim, the only problem is the waste. A better question would be on where the waste goes, is it moral to dump it overseas or shold one only dump it in his own country.

[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1260589390' post='2018829']
. . . the only problem is the waste. A better question would be on where the waste goes, is it moral to dump it overseas or shold one only dump it in his own country.
[/quote]
Yes, how and where to store the waste is the problem. I think that waste material produced in a country should have to stay in that country.

There's been some fairly good progress made in long term storage underground in properly designed bunkers. If that can be done cost effectively, it's a good medium-term solution. I'm sure it would be better to find a way to convert radioactive materials into not-radioactive materials though.