An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Our New Members

Lil Red

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='13 December 2009 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1260660125' post='2019367']
You will find that some posters here (including the one typing this post) feel that it is a scriptural mandate (see 1 Corinthians 11) that women should cover their heads at Mass.
[/quote]
I was just reading that and it also says
[sup][/sup][quote][sup]14[/sup]Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
[/quote]
Jesus and disciples are usually depicted as having long hair. Mysterious??? :detective:

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='25 December 2009 - 02:36 AM' timestamp='1261730161' post='2025845']
[sup][/sup]
Jesus and disciples are usually depicted as having long hair. Mysterious??? :detective:
[/quote]
You have to look at that in context too. If I'm not mistaken, the norm was longer than we're used to for men 2000 years ago. "Long" hair, by their standards, was significantly longer than what we consider long today.

At least that's what I seem to recall.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 December 2009 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1261767780' post='2025949']
You have to look at that in context too. If I'm not mistaken, the norm was longer than we're used to for men 2000 years ago. "Long" hair, by their standards, was significantly longer than what we consider long today.

At least that's what I seem to recall.
[/quote]

Well, it certainly wasn't for the Romans or the Greeks, judging by the extant sculpture. We don't know about the Jews, because they eschewed the pictorial arts. However, there are Biblical strictures about "cutting the hair at the corners of the head", wherever the "corners" are supposed to be, and shaving, and tonsuring the top of the head. Today's ultra-Orthodox often keep the hair very short indeed, except for earlocks, and do not trim their beards at all.

[quote name='Antigonos' date='25 December 2009 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1261771345' post='2025976']
Well, it certainly wasn't for the Romans or the Greeks, judging by the extant sculpture. We don't know about the Jews, because they eschewed the pictorial arts. However, there are Biblical strictures about "cutting the hair at the corners of the head", wherever the "corners" are supposed to be, and shaving, and tonsuring the top of the head. Today's ultra-Orthodox often keep the hair very short indeed, except for earlocks, and do not trim their beards at all.
[/quote]
Well obviously it would be better for a Biblical scholar to comment on that one. I'm just recalling something I've heard in the past.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='26 December 2009 - 01:48 AM' timestamp='1261781335' post='2026026']
I think women had [i]long [/i]hair too... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hehe.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Yes, but men kept their heads covered out of "fear of Heaven" while women covered their hair so as not to be attractive to any but their husbands. Small difference.

In Christian liturgy a man does not pray with his head covered, and this is why the Bishop (or other cleric) removes his head covering during the anaphora and other prayers. On the other hand, a woman is to cover her head as a sign of submission to her husband, and because of the presence of the holy angels at the liturgical synaxis.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='27 December 2009 - 05:47 AM' timestamp='1261853263' post='2026271']
On the other hand, a woman is to cover her head as a sign of submission to her husband,
[/quote]

:rolling:

Mark of the Cross
:shock: Wow. What's so bad about laughing at the idea of a woman submitting to her husband. Where I come from the reverse is usually the case.

One needs to understand what is properly meant when we say submit. What it doesn't mean is being a slave, or being somehow worth less.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='28 December 2009 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1261972318' post='2026756']
One needs to understand what is properly meant when we say submit. What it doesn't mean is being a slave, or being somehow worth less.
[/quote]

Yeah of course. I stand up to her sometimes. But she is so determined, that I eventually have to give in to get some peace. :D