An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Our New Members

Lil Red

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='12 December 2009 - 01:44 AM' timestamp='1260596653' post='2018901']
One of my co-workers, who I am very friendly with, is a Persian. She does not cover her hair and dresses very American. I have seen her sister before, as well as some cousins and friends, and they too do not cover their hair. They also dress very American. However, when my co-worker told me this past summer that she was going to Iran for a few months, she mentioned that she does cover up. I never asked why, but I was given the impression that she didn't care for it. Is covering one's hair a religious practice that should be followed all the time, or is it simply a law imposed on women by the authorities?
[/quote]

It is a religious practice, efer to Quran chapter 24, verse 31. You didn't know about hijab? I guess you guys could all do with a few lessons on Islam.. hehe.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hussain' date='12 December 2009 - 01:03 AM' timestamp='1260597817' post='2018912']
It is a religious practice, efer to Quran chapter 24, verse 31. You didn't know about hijab? I guess you guys could all do with a few lessons on Islam.. hehe.
[/quote]

I know what the hijab is, thanks. That was not my question.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='12 December 2009 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1260598821' post='2018918']
I know what the hijab is, thanks. That was not my question.
[/quote]

You asked if it was mandated in Islam. Perhaps I misunderstood your question?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hussain' date='12 December 2009 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1260598945' post='2018919']
You asked if it was mandated in Islam. Perhaps I misunderstood your question?
[/quote]

It seems like my friend has no choice but to wear it in Iran.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='12 December 2009 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1260596653' post='2018901']
One of my co-workers, who I am very friendly with, is a Persian. She does not cover her hair and dresses very American. I have seen her sister before, as well as some cousins and friends, and they too do not cover their hair. They also dress very American. However, when my co-worker told me this past summer that she was going to Iran for a few months, she mentioned that she does cover up. I never asked why, but I was given the impression that she didn't care for it. Is covering one's hair a religious practice that should be followed all the time, or is it simply a law imposed on women by the authorities?
[/quote]
Yes she should wear it whenever she is basically outside the house. or infront of non related people.

But yeah in Iran its imposed by the govt which seems to have a bad impact.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Pomak' date='12 December 2009 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1260600216' post='2018928']
Yes she should wear it whenever she is basically outside the house. or infront of non related people.

[/quote]

Yes it has certainly made her feel restricted and therefore when away from her homeland she appears happier to not wear it.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Pomak' date='12 December 2009 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1260600216' post='2018928']

[/quote]

Oh, I should add - since the Iranian government is imposing a religious practice upon the people, this suggests that Islam is more than just a religion. Do you agree?

Of course, Islam comments on everything, from politics to raising your kid. Islam is a 'deen', or a way of life. But whether the Iranian government represents Islam is a different topic altogether.

Edited by Hussain

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hussain' date='12 December 2009 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1260600561' post='2018934']
Of course, Islam comments on everything, from politics to raising your kid. Islam is a 'deen', or a way of life. But whether the Iranian government represents Islam is a different topic altogether.
[/quote]

I appreciate the clarification. From what I can recall on past arguments here at Phatmass, some members believe that Islam is only a religion.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='12 December 2009 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1260600436' post='2018932']
Oh, I should add - since the Iranian government is imposing a religious practice upon the people, this suggests that Islam is more than just a religion. Do you agree?
[/quote]
Is the fact that a lot of the criminal offenses(today in Europe) have their basis in the Bible (OT or NT) mean that Christianity is more than a religion.

But having said that Islam says a person needs good deeds and belief in order to be saved. Thus there are things like politics and law that Islam promotes, in oder to have a pious and god fearing society.

Edited by Pomak

+J.M.J.+
how much/what applies to non-Muslims?

and, what is the 70 excuses? :unsure: :idontknow:

thanks for clarification on a lot of this stuff. :)

[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1260595804' post='2018888']
None of us know who he is. So I guess that is a no.

Sorry for the delay. Basically the religious law stipulates what must be covered not how it is done. And as far as I know some Shia scholars allow the fringe to show(persians are generally shia)
[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
so, if you are Persian and you cover one way, are you required to cover differently when in another country? :idontknow: i get really confused with this stuff.

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1260513001' post='2018247']
Yes ameen is amen. [/quote]
why do you spell it different?
[quote name='Pomak' date='11 December 2009 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1260513001' post='2018247']
and strictly dawah means inviting people to the truth[/quote]are there rules to it?
What do you mean by "what is the whole thing about directing to a sister/brother? is that just terms that you use for male/female?"
We call our brothers in faith as "brother" and like wise for sisters. Is that what you meant?[/quote]yes, i think :think:
lowering one's gaze is basically a command to lower one's gaze when talking to a member of the opposite sex.
[/quote]
why?

[quote name='Lil Red' date='12 December 2009 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1260637247' post='2019129']
why?
[/quote]

yeah most of the time you hear "my eyes are up here!" when talking innapropriately with the opposite sex :P

so im guessing lower your eyes means all the way to the ground?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='12 December 2009 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1260646942' post='2019243']
so im guessing lower your eyes means all the way to the ground?
[/quote]
That makes sense to me. :)

[url="http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503548052"]Twenty Tips for Lowering the Gaze[/url]